Hypothyroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothyroid

wow, interesting about synthroid making you tired. I never heard that. I thought you were supposed to get less tired because your metabolism would be working better. I never felt much better from the synthroid-- not more tired, but not less. (My biggest symptom being exhaustion-- extremely high need for sleep). This is the reason for my wanting to switch to armour.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hypothyroid

Hey fellow hypothyroiders - wanted to give an update -- two weeks ago I gave up 'goitrogens' - that is, primarily for me, cruciferous veggies and soy. And I notice that I do have more energy, etc -- hypothyroid symptoms have lessened. Even though I've been taking synthetic thyroid for years. I'm still going to talk to my naturopath about Armour thyroid...
      FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Hypothyroid

Isn't the Armour the one from pigs? Yuck! I like levoxyl for me. I need to have my bloodwork checked before I get more refills. I am going to have my blood type checked also and some count that tells you if you have cancer or not. It is not a red or white blood cell count. I can't remember the name of it.

Anyway, Levoxyl for me.

Comment

Hypothyroid

Hi all,

I take Armour thyroid too. Dr. Lowe's site is really great. Most doctors do not have a clue about how to test for thyroid. Synthroid has T4, which is the inactive form of the hormone. T4 must be converted by the body to T3, which is the active form. You can take synthetic T3 also - Cytomel. Most doctors do not check for T3 levels - I am lucky to have one that does.

There are nutrients you can take to assist in this conversion process - progesterone is really important. I have also read that there are people who seem to be "thyroid resistant," similar to those who have insulin resistant. They may have enough hormone, but the body is not sensitive enough to it. A naturpath - krispin.com - has some info on using supplements to help support thyroid health. It is very sensitive to nutritional aspects. I think she mentioned lithium orotate, but I am not sure.

My doc, who is an M.D. but with a nutritional bent, also told me that using coconut oil is good.

I stay away from soy, but think that one would need to eat so much cruciferous vegetables to cause damage that it is not enough to worry about it.

Okay, I am going to squeeze into my pants now. I am fat because I am stress eating, not because of my thyroid now LOL

Happy holidays, xoxox
          Pansy

Comment

Hypothyroid

This makes me horribly sad. What am I allowed to eat? Soy has helped me with my estrogen levels, but I think it could be harming me in other ways. Has anyone found anything other than soy that helps in this area?:upset: :upset:
            Goal 1: Today
            Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Hypothyroid

Lukalee - I am SO confused about soy myself. I hear it's good, I hear it's bad... I don't know. There is a lot of controversy out there. But I"m just avoiding it to see if it makes a difference for my thyroid, and from what I understand, goitrogens (such as soy) only cause problems for a malfunctioning thyroid gland, not a healthy one.

Comment

Hypothyroid

I heard that soy IN LARGE amounts is bad for thyroid problems. I've continued to eat in moderate amounts (about twice a week). I wonder if I should cut it out altogether and see what happens. I also eat broccoli about once a week and spinach about once a week. I have cut down on these from about everyday. I wonder if I should try cutting these out too... leaving me with a starvation diet (which isn't far from my current eating habits).
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Hypothyroid

PIGS!

Yes Armour is from pigs. I am a vegetarian. Big dilemma. Note two important factors in making a decision on this:

1) If you are choosing between being sick forever and being able to lead a normal life, the pig thing might be easier to get over

2) The pigs are not raised or killed for this purpose. It is a byproduct. Like leather.

Comment

Hypothyroid

This is a great thread!

I am on Armour as well -- I am 40 and have been on it for 12 years ... I recently have felt that I may have tested my adrenals too much! I had not known about the soy issue and want to learn more ... perimenopause is also a possibility. I do take Evening Primopse Oil and I feel it is essential. We are all unique so it is up to each one of us to determine what is best for our genetic make up -- yes, it SUCKS because we need to be very careful. Know that 1 in 10 women have this condition. Thanks MOW for starting this thread.

Comment

Hypothyroid

Baby Girl, is the adrenal issue related to the armour thyroid issue? I'm just curious because I take it.

Comment

Hypothyroid

I think I posted this site before - I highly recommend checking it out. It's a very 'anti-synthetic thyroid' and 'pro Armour' site - but loaded with info I've never seen before. Including a page (look for the link on the left) explaining hte link between thyroid issues and adrenals.
                        Stop The Thyroid Madness ? Index Page

Comment

Hypothyroid

Good info- I just do not want piggy or cow derivatives in my vegetarain body. I would not want premarin either for a similar reason, and the horses are cooped up for their urine.

Very much a dilemma. C'est Le Vie! Such is life.

Comment

Hypothyroid

It is a dilemma! It grosses me out the thought - but I figure, they're killing the animals for meat anyway... I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                            X