Milk Thistle - anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not heard that it is the "best" form. Probably has to do with absorbtion. Sublingual may be preferable over intestinal.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Prest4time;312238 wrote: From what I understand,

Milk thistle "helps" your liver by coming alongside your liver as the new best friend. It takes a lot of the strain off of the liver, and helps the body metabolize toxins through the skin and other body parts instead of making the liver wash all the dirty dishes every single night without help. In return, the liver begins to rest and live a normal life so to speak, and rejuvinate.

That analogy made me want to see how much milk thistle I was allowed to take! As others have said, we cant "see" into our livers, but the scientific proof is there.

So go take your Milk Thistle!
      If this is true then I would think Milk Thistle would help people currently drinking more than those who have quit....cause If we've quit there are no dirty dishes to wash "every single night", right? Hmmmm, very interesting
      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
      - George Jackson

Comment

I have hep-c and have been taking milk thistle in the gel capsule form for about 7 years. I take 1,000 mgs a day and my liver results are in the normal range every time I get tested. I order mine from Puritan's Pride Vitamins: Discount Vitamins and Herbal Supplements. I've never noticed any side effects, I take it before I go to bed.

-V

Comment

I've been taking milk thistle for a couple of years now (while drinking up to a bottle of wine a night). My doctor knows I drink this much so he does liver function tests regularly, and since taking the milk thistle my liver enzymes are all normal (previously they were slightly elevated).

My doctor said he doesn't recommend that people start taking milk thistle at the time they first go AF, because their bodies will start to detox naturally and adding milk thistle accelerates the detoxification, which means withdrawal symptoms could be exacerbated. Once the initial physical withdrawal symptoms have passed, he says that milk thistle is great to help the liver to repair any damage.

Twinkie posted a link to a great site which has good information on milk thistle and associated research
          Milk thistle

Comment

Thanks Wooflet -- I appreciate the info.

I'm not going AF for any significant amount of time in the near future.... although I am trying to reduce my daily consumption with varying degrees of success.
            Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck.
            Psalm 69:1

Comment

That makes sense Wooflet!
              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
              - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
              X