Calling all supplement experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, guys, it's time for me to reorder some supps and I tried to do more research--but I'm getting confused and tired again... I know there are a lot of you out there that can give some great advice on this. Please post and this time I will print it out!!!
    **I really want to keep taking the GABA--it really helps with my mood and sense of well being.

**Right now I take a 750 mg capsule as needed--should I do anything different?

**What about True Calm or 5HTP instead?

**What about adding more B vits with my B complex if so What B vitamins?

**Evening Primrose--will adding this help with my PMS/mood as well?

**I bought some magnesium capsules--Gelgit recommends oil and calcium oil--where the hell do I get that? Did I waste my money on the capsules, should I have bought the ones with calcium combined?

I like to buy my stuff on amazon.com--seems they have the best deals and free shipping--is does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Thanks in advance-----if I don't get any response--I guess I'll just punt!! I CAN'T be without my GABA very long right now!!:H
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

I'm no expert!! But I'll love reading the responses you get!!

I too like GABA - I like L-Tryptophan even better. But I think this varies by person because lots of people like SAMe and I didn't care for that at all. I would definitely keep a supply on hand of what you like - even if you decide to experiment with something else.

I know that quality can vary a LOT, so I try to stick with brands I've found to be reliable.

I like Amazon too - they carry so much stuff - and also have tons of partners. I feel a lot more comfortable buying from a small, relatively unknown company when Amazon is backing the order.

Hope some others come along with more info soon! I'd sure get that GABA though...no matter what else you decide to do about the other stuff.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

LVT, Beatle is "THE" expert on supps and vits, so hopefully she'll chime in here for you.

Comment

LVT25,

I take AllOne, I consider this the basis of everything. I take B-12 sublingual because I am a gastric bypass patient and must take it so disregard this part. I take GABA and I take L-Tryptophan. I also take a 3,6,9 oil supplement every day.

Other than that, I MIGHT take Melatonin at night if I am feeling too awake.

My fingernails are growing like claws and so is my hair. For a gastric bypass patient, that is amazing.

I am doing well on the drinking, too. Oh, and I take Antabuse to not drink, but that has nothing to do with the above...

Love,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Supplements

It essential to find high quality supplements, otherwise, you will be disappointed with results (or lack of) and at best will have expensive urine. As far as B's I have relied on Bee Pollen because it contains all the B vitamins and their co-factors in a synergistic balance, along with enzymes for proper conversion and use by the body. B's shouldn't be taken alone or out of balance and require Vit C as well as other co-factors for absorption. Can we mention brands....I have two companies I have been very allegient to over the years. There are good brands out there, just make sure you find them.

Comment

I love Amazon as well, I did order the magnesium oil, it makes my skin itch so I use it in the shower and rinse it off until it stops itching. I'm not sure if I'm getting any benefit but for now I'm plugging along with it. I also love EPO, GABA, & SAMe. :h
            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
            - George Jackson

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies everyone! I went back and read the L-tryptophan thread, and read a little on the 5HTP. Since Cindi takes L-Tryp and GABA, I think I'll try that.
              And the EPO. The Bee Pollen thing is very interesting!! I also snuck into the guys forum and may have to order the book "The Orgasmic Diet" and she is a believer in the Omega 3-s for libido. Oh, I have a lot of issues!
              My main issue however, is not necessarily depression (which my doc likes to treat with Lexapro) but BITCHINESS, QUICK TEMPER AND SENSITIVITY and low libido. I'm reading Suzanne Somer's book "The Sexy Years" so I would be REAL interested in hearing more of YOUR story with the bioidentical hormone therapy DOGGYGIRL!!

I might just PM you if I have more ????

Thanks again!!:l
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

LVT25;353849 wrote: My main issue however, is not necessarily depression (which my doc likes to treat with Lexapro) but BITCHINESS, QUICK TEMPER AND SENSITIVITY and low libido.
                Lexapro made me MORE bitchy & quick tempered, it did make me happy but the side effects were not worth it. I am so glad I am off of SSRI's!
                Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                - George Jackson

Comment

Hormones

I have also used a Transdermal Naturl Progesterone cream for the last 12 years...would never be without it and recommend it to all my clients. It assists with mood (greatly) and energy as well as sleep. Lots of good benefits..cancer protection, ect. Another great resource is Official Web Site of John R. Lee, M.D. anyone who writes anything aboiut bio-identical hormones must quote him and his research. You can take a quick on line quiz to see where you stand....this is beneficial for men, as well! Protects the prostrate.....

Comment

My heart--I hated the Lexapro also! I really didn't see much benefit from it--just side effects!

Destined--thanks for the link--I will most definately check it out!!

Comment

Thanks again to all that replied!!

I ended up ordering some different things to try. True Calm, 5HTP, and Omega 3-6-9
                      from MWO, and L-Tryptophan from amazon.com, and I did find some Evening Primrose at the local grocery store, so I've started that, but they are 500 mg so I'm taking 3 of those twice daily. If these aren't helping, I'll go back to the GABA. I think it's a little confusing because of the different strengths of everything. Cindi--I've got to start drinking my Allone again--I'm having a hard time getting motivated because I hate the taste, smell and texture!:H

Comment

Just to mention that I usually take a True Calm together with 1 MWO GABA and one 300mg valerian. This combination is great for irritability and anxiety without making you tired. Sometimes I add one 700mg taurine, a relaxing amino. These all work better on an empty stomach.

I take both evening primrose and phosphatidyl choline (1200 mg lecithin amd 420mg phosphatidyl choline) with meals, usually once or twice a day.

I also take milk thistle for the liver and COQ-10 and super B-50 once a day after dinner, and extra vitamin c.

And lithium orotate and melatonin before bed. Extra valerian sometimes before bed when I'm feeling keyed up and restless.

Hope this helps some.

This is all in addition to multivitamins and multi-minerals.
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

LVT, try mixing the All One w/the juice by using an immersion blender (also called a stick blender) -- the texture is better. more like a smoothie and much less gritty. You could use a regular blender but who wants to dirty up the whole blender for 1 glass of juice.

Comment

LVT25 When you take the 5Htp, take it it with a bit of fruit. That helps absorbtion. Don't it take within at least 20 minutes of protien.
                            sigpic
                            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thank you Beatle--I'm glad you found this--you know your stuff!

CS--that's part of my problem--too lazy to get the blender out!

Greenie--thanks for that tidbit--I've got it all written down!!

Comment

Working...
                              X