EPA (not EPO) information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems I might have confused some people in another thread, when I said EPO=Evening Primrose Oil and then went on to talk about that (it is the GLA in the EPO that you need, so sometimes it is called GLA. You can also get GLA from Borage oil in a more concentrated form.).

Anyway, to clear things up, EPA (not EPO) is something else, namely Eicosapentaenoic acid, one of the essential Omega 3 fatty acids.

EPA is apparently very good for depression/mood swings (among other things). Here is a very interesting article about it:

Depression and pure epa omega 3 fish oil / a natural remedy for depression
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Beatle,
    What does GLA stand for? Do you buy it as GLA in health/nutrition stores? kriger
    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Kriger
      GLA is gamma-linoleic acid. I may have spelled part of it wrong. But Beatle is far more informed on these matters than I am. GLA is also in the All-One powder, I think.

Comment

I don't think GLA is in the All-One (but not sure about that). It is one of those omega oils. You get it from Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) and also from Borage oil (supposed to be the best). Anyway, it is great for hair, nails, PMS and I believe it is good for the liver and general health. MWO makes a good "Super Evening Primrose", which is what I use, but you can certainly get it locally as well. Just check the amount of GLA before you buy.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

I think I confused it with Glutamic Acid, which is in the viitamin powder I have (store brand from The Vitamin Shoppe, not brand name ALl One).

Comment

Oh, Beatle and here I thought it stood for Environmental Protection Agency.......LOL.
            *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

oh, yeah, it does that, too... it's very versatile.

Comment

GLA is also used to minimize discomfort from menstrual cramps.

it's hard to find an affordable source of GLA since you get just the tiniest bit of it in most
                EPO capsules....but it is good stuff. If anyone finds an affordable source please share!
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Emerson Ecologics carries a douglas Laboratories Borage Seed Oil in 1,000 mg. softgels. Each contains 210 mg. GLA. I don't know if that's good bad or ugly :H 90 softgels is $23.38.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Well, 210mg GLA in one capsule is good. The MWO stuff is 120mg GLA per cap, and that is higher than most. But Borage Oil is believed to be the best source (even better than EPO) for GLA-- however, EPO has been studied much more, so there is more scientific evidence to back up its effectiveness. I take both (one in a.m., the other in P.M.) just to cover all bases.

As for the price, I don't recall it being so expensive. But at 210mg per cap, you could probably do with just one a day, which would cut down the cost.

Comment

Thanks again Beatle, you clever thing!
                      Please Greeneyes, can you send me the link for online purchase from online Emerson Ecologics?
                      Otherwise, Beatle.. can you send me the link to the MWO stuff.. I've just got a bunch of supps.. not sure if I have that one. I find i hard sometimes to find things on the MWO shop.

Comment

Fickle, It's just ememsonecologics.com I don't know how to get a link on here.
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

the doctor that wrote "7 weeks to sobriety" is very big on GLA for both recovery and maintaining ab's. I better get some! thanks Beatle!
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

This is a great source for the GLA-- and not expensive at all. (13.95? I think it costs for 65 caps-- take one or two a day with meals).

Untitled Document

Comment

Working...
                            X