no drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no drugs

Can anyone tell me if this program will be as effective without the topamax. I am doing this for both myself and for my husband and I am afraid of the topamax. I tried to talk to my doctor about a prescription but she wouldn't give me one. however she did offer to give me an antidepressant. anyone?

no drugs

Back, there are a lot of people here who are doing quite well on the program without using medication. I never have used the meds, and have not had a drink in over 5 weeks. I use a lot of the supplements, I exercise, meditate, and spend a lot of time here on MWO (the support is a big part of ongoing recovery).

As to the antidepressant... are you depressed? Sometimes (often, actually) depressive symptoms will lift as a person gets off the alcohol.

Welcome, and best wishes.

wip

Comment

no drugs

I love your dog. I am a animal person to, I now have my 2nd greyhound. I am glad to hear about the medication. It is some heavy duty stuff and I don't think it is where I want to go yet. I am kinda curious about the powder drink and if you think it is something I should get. I am taking the Kudzu the L whatever and plan on buying the milk thistle, magnisium and the evening primrose today. By the way I am so happy for you 5+ weeks on the program, It was the hardest decision I have ever made in my life to let anyone know I had a problem and that includes me.

Comment

no drugs

It was the hardest decision I have ever made in my life to let anyone know I had a problem and that includes me.
        I totally understand that, and I think everyone here would/will agree with you on that one! Why don't you join up with one or more of the threads where there are people just starting out (and some continuing) with goals to be AF (alcohol-free) for at least 30 days? One is the Booze-Busters thread, another is the AF Army thread (it starts up new every morning).

As to the powder AllOne stuff, many people swear by it. I used it for a while but have kinda slowed down... a lot. For me, the exercise, the meditation, and the support I get here are key (and probably the supplements are helping, too). But that is all dependent on my own determination to GET THE ALCOHOL OUT OF MY LIFE. I hope you have that, too!

Stick around, post a lot, read a lot. You can do this!

wip

Comment

no drugs

Welcome Back,

Like WIP said you can do this without the meds but I do highly recommend the supps and it sounds like you are on track with that.

It is a hard decision, giving up AL, but it's the best decision you'll ever make.

Let us know how you get on. There is a "Newbies Nest" thread, where all the newbies share and support one another.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

no drugs

hi there backincontrol .. look like you figure out the board ...sorry but i dont know anything about the meds here ..i did it cold turkey and i am 10 months plus into my sobriety.. and if you have to do it with or without drugs . i would say go for it ..yes it is hard but doable ..and just know you are not alone.. we are here for you.. you can do this .. stay strong and think positive
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

no drugs

thank you both for your help, I will check out the threads you suggested and hope to get the hang of this real soon. I will keep you posted. Good luck to you to. I'm going out for a long walk now.

Comment

no drugs

:welcome:

When I first read the book, I decided to try the program without the Topamax. I've done quite well without it. I also started with the Kudzu and L-Glut, B vitamins are important. I think the AllOne powder is also great. It seems to give me more energy. I also take EPO and Gaba and True Calm. This seems to help with my "mood".

Best wishes!
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

no drugs

Hi Back, Welcome,

I too found it hard to admit to myself or anyone for that matter that I had a problem. I am on anti-depressant which started working once I stopped drinking. I take the supplements kudzu, lglut, gaba, omegas, b and c vits and a multi I have just ordered the allone. These things help me no end along with the support here. I also walk a lot with my dog.
                  It is scary, but I have given up alcohol for 7 1/2 weeks now and I am feeling on top of the world.
                  Good luck
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

no drugs

:welcome:Back!
                    I don't use the topa...
                    The supps, cd's and meditation and eating healthy food, and exercise and support here has been key in helping me .
                    I live with a drinker and he is a winemaker also so I face the choice everyday.
                    I would like to say that I never have one but somedays I do have some.
                    Never to the point where I was..........There are people here who have 0.
                    It can be done and each person here has his or her own path.
                    :goodjob: In getting started.
                    :lNancy
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

no drugs

Hi, Back. Great job admitting that you do need some help. It's not easy, but now you have that giant step behind you!

I never used any meds either. I am happy to say that I am 8 months AF and I owe that to a lot of amazing people here who helped me whenever I asked. The support and inspiration here a huge benefit to my success. So please come here often. It really does help.

If you haven't already, you might want to consider getting the book too. It's a great read and explains the whole program including the suggested supplements. You can download it or wait for it to be shipped to you.

Good luck!

Love, Me
                      :l
                      Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

no drugs

thankful, I did buy the book and I am really enjoying reading it. I am so happy for your sobriety. I can't wait to say it has been 8 month's since I got control back. We have a coctail night every friday night at our house, it is anywhere from 1 -15 people. It started out as a way to unwind but became a problem for both myself and my husband. Last night instead of having 5-6 drinks I had 1 and my husband instead of getting smashed had 3 over the course of the whole night. We have only been using the kudzu and L--- for a week. I ordered the powder and a whole crap load of vitamines yesterday. I am so excited.:thumbs:

Comment

no drugs

Southern, I was very interested in the fact that you live with a drinker. My husband is a drinker to. He seems like he wants to go through this program and he says he is trying and I know he is but I don't think he would if I wasn't reading the book to him and putting out his pill and doing all the research. I feel like I have failed in the past because I was trying so hard for him and for me. If he failed and decided to have a drink he would make one for me to and I just wasn't strong enough. How are you doing this? I wan't so much for this to work. I want to be able to have a friday night drink or a glass of wine with dinner,I want to be in control.

Comment

no drugs

Back - you can do this without the drugs! Great advice above - but just wanted to add that I was 6 weeks AF and started the Topa. I hated it. Stayed on it for 7 weeks and went off. I have been AF for 8 months with only 7 weeks of it on the topa. I felt like CRAP on the topa and feel awesome with just the supps, exercise, CD's and RJ's wisdom!! (The book)

Be well and stay near! You can kick this!!
                            AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

no drugs

Back,
                              Welcome to the site! I am not taking Topa, but am taking L-Glutamine, Evening Primrose Oil, B-Complex and multiple vitamin sometimes. I have gotten Lax about everything as of late, but I am also noticing a mood slump. This week I'll be ramping up on all above supps and vits to see if that was my problem the last 4-5 days?? I also do the cds and I'm finding them helpful. Many people here use meditation as part of their program. The best advice I can give is to devise a PLAN and be consistent. You may need to tweek the supps or vits but stick with your plan. Also incorporate exercise into the plan-that gets the natural seratonin flowing again-in a normal way. I wish you all the best on your own personal journey and I look forward to getting to know you. Kriger
                              "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                              X