EMDR, EFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMDR, EFT

I'm intrigued by all the knowledge and ideas presented here. I'm a professional in the mental health field and notice there are a few more of us here. I use EMDR in my practice for trauma survivors but it is also used to treat addictions. You can find a trained EMDR therapist on the EMDR Institute website. I can't do it on myself so I'm using EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques....Gary Craig (it was developed from Thought Field Therapy). The website can be googled and a free manual and instructions are available. It's easy to learn and effective in handling cravings. Anyone else use these healing methods?

EMDR, EFT

Not trained in EMDR so refer those clients elsewhere. I have used EFT in the past but not so much for alcohol. Just did not have the motivation. Might try it again. Have tons of training dvd's on EFT.

Comment

EMDR, EFT

Hi Gaia and :welcome:

There have been discussions in the past on EFT- sorry don't have time to do the search thing at the moment but if you use the search function I think the previous threads should come up.

Comment

EMDR, EFT

What is EMDR? I would like to look into both of these. Kriger
        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

EMDR, EFT

Kriger, EMDR is a psychotherapy intervention originally created to treat people with PTSD and other trauma-related disorders. At one time it involved having people watch the therapist's finger waving back and forth while remembering the traumatic event. Then a light bar with lights going back and forth was introduced. It has some support in the scientific literature... but is not yet fully established or accepted, and there are lots of questions still open about its effectiveness and its method of action, if indeed it is more effective than other methods. There are a LOT of therapists who have done EMDR training... which does not necessarily mean it is effective. With all respect to those who will "swear by it," I think the scientific "jury" is still "out."

wip

Comment

EMDR, EFT

I have been taught that EMDR is a variation on the natural process that we go thru, each night called Rapid Eye Movement(REM sleep).REM sleep clears the clutter of the day and files away what is needed.Sometimes we are unable to clear Trauma in this way and that is where EMDR can help.It is a rediscovering of an ancient healing that has been used for hundreds of years.I have used EMDR for several years and have seen great effectives.To self treat you do what butterfly technique.You cross your arms and tap your elbows and move your eyes from one corner of the room to the other, as you move the picture forward in your mind.I just used this on myself today, because of the trauma with my Brother.I visualize him as he is, in panic, and formed a clear picture in my mind.I then began the Butterfly movement and moved the picture forward to me hugging him and him being well.i rated this as a 10 on my trauma scale when I began, and when I had done the exercise it was down to a 4...If it is a severe trauma you my have to stop and move forward in steps.This is my take on EMDR...Very useful tool.
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

EMDR, EFT

Thanks Evie, I did not know about EMDR although I am familiar with EFT.

I will look into it further.

Will be praying for your brother again tonight.

Comment

EMDR, EFT

Evie, with all respect, these ideas about EMDR, and REM, and trauma memories, are all intriguing, but highly speculative... not established in any way... I suppose I sound a bit stuffy about these things, but I am trained as a scientist, and I strongly believe that interventions that are offered as treatments for mental health problems should be subjected to standard (objective) research methods... Testimonials and subjective impressions about improvement are far too vulnerable to various cognitive biases that all of us use on a daily basis...

wip

Comment

EMDR, EFT

I had a "Rapid Eye Movement" therapy treatment once because one of my clients was starting her own practice and it sounded interesting. It sounds similar. I'll have to try to pull out the paperwork she gave me when I did it to explain the whole process. Until then....
                  "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

EMDR, EFT

I saw a therapist who specialized in EFT and sadly it did absolutely nothing for me.
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

EMDR, EFT

I respect and understand the need for scientific data and i know how few Clinical trials have been done...As I said before, this just just a rediscovering of an ancient Shamanic practice that has been used in several cultures.I am not a scientist and the only proof i need is HOW IT MADE ME FEEL.Feelings are my internal guidance system.I have taught others how to self treat(for no charge) and have had them tell me that it has made a big difference in there lives.I have only had Good experiences with it.Everyone needs to figure out what works for them.I posted here when I read this thread because it was such Synchronicity that i had just used it on myself..
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

EMDR, EFT

I just don`t have the patience to sustain therapy, which is why I`ve never started a course. I don`t think this a particularly helpful attitude for myself..........my life is very restricted as I suffer from anxiety to such an extent that........no laughing, right!!!! :H......I can`t travel on an unknown route and I`m terrified of heights, yes....even hills. It may sound funny, but it is very debilitating.

I feel that one day I shall have to embrace the idea of therapy or remain in my own tiny little world forever, because even if I were to win the Lottery tomorrow.........far-flung, exotic destinations are out for me........they would have to sedate me to get me on a plane.......shocking but true.

Star x
                        Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

EMDR, EFT

Ok -- a Work in Progress, you might need an update. EMDR has been very well established clinically (for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome)-- It is not speculative in any way.... just look it up. It is not established, however, for many other POSSIBLE uses, including addiction and anxiety... but looks promising here, as well. I am currently working with a therapists who thinks it MIGHT be useful also for my own addictive/anxiety issues, but she admits that is an unproven area at the moment.
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

EMDR, EFT

Oh, and Star, I can relate. I have a big problem with planes too. Ha, and I have to travel all over the world constantly. It's debilitating, yes, and a prescription for alcoholism. My new therapist says I need to deal with my flying (and clausterphobia) anxieties to be "well"-- this is key to keeping me away from alcohol.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

EMDR, EFT

beatle;435808 wrote: Ok -- a Work in Progress, you might need an update. EMDR has been very well established clinically (for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome)-- It is not speculative in any way.... just look it up. It is not established, however, for many other POSSIBLE uses, including addiction and anxiety... but looks promising here, as well. I am currently working with a therapists who thinks it MIGHT be useful also for my own addictive/anxiety issues, but she admits that is an unproven area at the moment.
                              Beatle, I have looked it up! I stay very much on top of the research literature on all these methods (because I teach this stuff to grad students); as I said, there are a few studies that support its efficacy (and of those studies, only a few are what would be called well-designed), but it is far from being well established, and the method of action is very much a speculative matter. Being "well established clinically" is NOT the same as being adequately established by well-designed, peer-reviewed research so as to be considered an empirically validated (or "empirically supported") treatment method.

That does NOT mean that it is not helpful for some people, working with some therapists, for the relief of some problems... just that, although it is widely used and quite popular, it is not yet well-established, and if it is in fact more effective than other interventions, for some problems, there is as yet no consensus as to why that might be.

I do hope that your work with your therapist is helpful!

wip

Comment

Working...
                              X