Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight loss stabilisation / reversal

Hi, All

My AL abuse over the years has caused me to lose a lot of weight. I used to eat only dinner, and then a small plate only. Nothing for breakfast or lunch.

Since starting to taper my drinking in anticipation of going on baclofen to go AF, I have started following a healthier regime: eating a fruit for breakfast (still can't manage more than that), something light for lunch, and more than usual dinnertime.

Even so, I've been losing a lot of weight - 1.5kg since last Friday, and overall 12kg since the beginning of the year. I'm starting to fall out of my pants :-) I'm currently more than 10kg below my normal weight.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and can you share what you did to stabilise / reverse the situation?
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Hi Tip,
    Dont forget you are not getting the calories from alc any more.
    My advice to you would be to try and get some protein shakes in addition to what you are able to eat right now. Gradually work your way up to eating more calorific but nutritional foods if you can.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Tip, I'm kinda the opposite of you ... I gained quite a bit during my drinking career. The only meal I had a problem with was breakfast, but once I got into the drinks, I could eat anything.

Since giving it up (except for the odd beer still), I've lost 5+ lbs in about 2 weeks. The first week, though, I continued at the same weight and felt puffy .. and then it started to come off - finally. Hope to keep this up.

So .. I guess what I'm saying is that maybe this week you're in a transition, and maybe as you continue eating more and getting into a routine with meals, you will gain the weight you need.... in the same way I'm losing.

Keep on eating!

Btw, if you're concerned, you may want to ask a doc's opinion / advice.
      AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

I was definetly UNDER weight when I was drinking but now since giving up the twaks and eating healthily I have gained a whooping 15kg's and each and every one of them is bloody stubbon!!

I think Starty's advice to get a protein shake is a good one -- try one called Life Gain. You can buy it from any chemist or Dischem and it has everything you need in it. It is mostly used for recover after a major illness but it sounds like you can do with it.

And like Cat mentioned -- ask your Doc for advice if you are still concerned:-)
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

THanks for the advice, guys.

Yep - it's early days for me still... Will give the protein shake a go.

Another thing is that I've had a lot of muscle degeneration due to AL. The exercise monster is looming - I've tried to avoid it about as much as I'm trying to get rid of AL at the moment :-)
          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Deebs, I have gained about 14 pounds since giving up the smokes....pain in the butt isnt it?
            None of my clothes fit properly any more :-(

Come on Tip, get those endorphins flowing with a jog round the block :-)

Comment

Starty, you have no idea how unfit I am - I'll run around the block if I'm allowed to kick it under the bed again afterwards :-)
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

LMAO Tip!!!!

Ok I will let you off with a gentle stroll then :-)

Comment

Seriously Starts -- we can cry on each others shoulders!!

Tip, have you tried yoga? It's gentle, will help your muscles and is great for calming and anxiety... seriously I have quite a few chaps in my class:-)
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

ROFLMAO @ yoga for Tip.

DW, kids and friends will have the laugh of their life. Imagine an almost-middle-aged Afrikaner going "ohmmmmmmmmm" in the lotus position.

Hehehe... can't stop chuckling.

Then again, maybe not such a bad idea and why can't people try new things, even if later in life?
                    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

okay, you've got me there -- the image i have in my head now is just not fitting LOL!!

Seriously, you'll be surprised at the assortment of people that do do yoga -- try it once, and if you don't like it then try something else.
                      GO ON -- I DARE YOU!

Comment

Most yoga studios offer a "gentle yoga" class for older folks especially with some physical limitations. I took a six-week course last summer, when I was working part-time. Of course I don't know just what's available in SA, but you could ask about it. Just this short stint offered me ideas to add to my regular exercise routine. There are also books and CD's available, but it is definitely better to start with a class, to avoid injuries.

BTW, any friend of DeeBee is a friend of mine!
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Ouch, beamy :-) That hurt

Older folk? Physical limitations?

Eina (let deebs explain the meaning)

Its bad, but not THAT bad. (I hope) :-)
                          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                          X