Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know what really works?

Dear friends,

My kitchen cabinet looks like a shelf in a health food store.
    I followed most of the recommendations from both MWO book and "Seven weeks to sobriety " and bought most of the stuff. (I should go into this business

However, I am looking at my pills evey morning, scratch my head, and ask myself - If I take so many of them together, how do I know which ones really work?

For example - both L-glut and kudzu reduce cravings - which one really does the job?
    Not to mention the all mighty vitamnin B, responsible for the same function.

And if I don't feel well - who is the culprit?

Has anybody pondered the same questions? If yes, please let me know.
    "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, yes and YES!!
    My DH is forever rolling his eyes when I come home with yet ANOTHER bottle of "something weird".
    In the year since I joined I've spent a small fortune on suppliments, vitamins, amino acids etc. I am prepared to keep on experimenting until I find out exactly what works for ME.

I do believe that the Kudzu and L-Glut play a huge role in curbing cravings but they are not miracle pills... they are there to assist but won't do the job for you.

When I feel down/poorly, I have to look within me to find out what is going on.... being female, there's normally a whole lot LOL!!!

You must do what feels right for you.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I agree. Sometimes I wonder the same thing. Maybe the best thing I can think of is to try to eliminate one thing and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Hi again New Me! Excellent questions you ask. My cupboard looks about like yours from the sound of it!!

Another way to target supplementation is to get tested to find out where you are actually deficient. I didn't do this early on, but recently got a battery of test through Metametrix (that's the lab) called the Cardio/ION test which is actually over 100 tests on just a couple vials of my blood and a urinie sample. It's not cheap but tells you a LOT of what's going on inside your body and where you have toxic loads (i.e. heavy metals) and where you are short (i.e. for me there are quite a few amino acids and some minerals where I am STILL low which makes me think 'absorption problem', but I digress....)

It's not cheap but neither are boat loads of supplements.

If I were to do this testing again I would make SURE I have a doctor at hand who knows how to interpret everything on the tests. That's another story though....

Of course another approach would be to get tested for some of the specific things where us alkies are normally deficient such as Amino acids, B vitamins, etc.

Otherwise I guess we keep guessing!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I've definitely thought about that. My vitamins and supplements are in their spot on a corner table in my kitchen. It used to be just a multi-vitamin and maybe one or two other things. Now there are bottles of just about everything.

From what I've read, googled, etc., it's all good and shouldn't hurt, so that's a good thing. Not sure what's "working" (maybe all of it), because you can't really feel it working.... I just have to assume it's doing something. I took the Kudzu last year, and it did seemed to make a difference.. but I have to admit that it seemed to fizzle out for me (maybe all in my mind?). This time, I have the L-glut, and I definitely noticed a difference in how much I drank before I stopped, and in my desire to drink in general. (Again, all in my mind?)

I also take Milk Thistle. I have read GREAT things about it ... but who knows what's happening in my liver.

And I take St. John's Wort ... supposed to make you happier, less anxious, etc..... seems to be working, but again, all in my mind?

And then there is the multi-vitamin, the B vitamins, etc. etc. etc. Supposed to work, but you can't feel them.

..... Or..... might one thing cancel out or interact with another if you take them together, or take too much of one? I assume not, and haven't really read anything in that regard, but I've wondered that too.
          AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

DeeBee;665239 wrote: Yes, yes and YES!!
            My DH is forever rolling his eyes when I come home with yet ANOTHER bottle of "something weird".
            In the year since I joined I've spent a small fortune on suppliments, vitamins, amino acids etc. I am prepared to keep on experimenting until I find out exactly what works for ME.
            My husband does the same thing. My supps take up two shelves in my cupboard and I have spent MORE than a small fortune on them.

My advice is that you keep taking everything until you feel on top of things, and then you can experiment with one thing at a time to figure out what is working. But I am guessing that a combination of most of these supps is what makes a difference, although there might be some you don't need so much.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thanks, everybody!

I feel very good, so something is working. I have a suspicion that stopping drinking has a lot to do with this
              I run out of Kudzu and will not repalce until I feel stronger cravings. Will let you know what happens when I take it out of my coctail of drugs.
              DG, I thought about having the tests, but they are expensive and not covered bu insurance. However, it may be worth do to them to target your individual deficiencies instead just talking everything randomly. It may also be more cost efficient in a long run, for the supplements are far from cheap!
              Thanks agin for your replies.
              Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

The New Me;667113 wrote: Thanks, everybody!

I feel very good, so something is working. I have a suspicion that stopping drinking has a lot to do with this
                I run out of Kudzu and will not repalce until I feel stronger cravings. Will let you know what happens when I take it out of my coctail of drugs.
                DG, I thought about having the tests, but they are expensive and not covered bu insurance. However, it may be worth do to them to target your individual deficiencies instead just talking everything randomly. It may also be more cost efficient in a long run, for the supplements are far from cheap!
                Thanks agin for your replies.
                AMEN. LOL the only problem is that the only thing I STOPPED taking as a result of that huge test is D3 as I am in the high end of the normal range. So the "Cost / benefit" ratio isn't working - at least not yet!

The interesting thing I DID learn is that I'm deficient in some things that came as a surprise to me - a significant number of Amino Acids despite about 2 years on All One and also some additional amino acid supplementation and also what I believe is a reasonably healthy diet that *should* cover me for amino acids without any supplementation. So there is something going on WRT absorption and I'd love to get to the bottom of that. My regular doctor is now stumped....so where to turn and how much more $$$ to throw after it??? Oy. Makes me want to just eat a bag of oreos and forget my troubles...

Side note: New Me I hope you will post on AF Daily again just so I can see that "Stealth Registration" Bond Girl thing that I love so much! :H

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Trial and error was the only way I found out.
                  L Glut under tounge).... or tabs that are chewed...yum yum (tasteless)

Kudzu gave me an itch skin so I stay away from that (maybe cause it is the weed that ATE the south)...I just hate it when that happens, don't you ???
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

DG, good to know that our bodies actually do need all this stuff we are taking!
                    Question: were you AF when you did your testing? If yes, for how long? Also, were you on supps when you did it? And again, for how long? I am trying to gague your nutritional shape before you tested.
                    Did you do the hair toxicity test as well?

Bond's girl will bo on AF thread tonight
                    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Doggygirl;665349 wrote: Hi again New Me! Excellent questions you ask. My cupboard looks about like yours from the sound of it!!

Another way to target supplementation is to get tested to find out where you are actually deficient. I didn't do this early on, but recently got a battery of test through Metametrix (that's the lab) called the Cardio/ION test which is actually over 100 tests on just a couple vials of my blood and a urinie sample. It's not cheap but tells you a LOT of what's going on inside your body and where you have toxic loads (i.e. heavy metals) and where you are short (i.e. for me there are quite a few amino acids and some minerals where I am STILL low which makes me think 'absorption problem'
                      , but I digress....)

It's not cheap but neither are boat loads of supplements.

If I were to do this testing again I would make SURE I have a doctor at hand who knows how to interpret everything on the tests. That's another story though....

Of course another approach would be to get tested for some of the specific things where us alkies are normally deficient such as Amino acids, B vitamins, etc.

Otherwise I guess we keep guessing!

DG
                      AL can destroy the balance of intestinal flora wich in turn can cause cravings (AL/sugar). I tried them NSI Probiotic 8-5 "8 strains / 5 billion CFU" -- 120 Capsules - Vitacost and NSI Candida Yeast Management -- 240 Vegetarian Capsules - Vitacost. It worked for me.

I think Evie Lou was the original poster about Liv 52. It is a liver supplement that is not expensive and you will feel it working. Google it. It has been around a long time and there have been many studies published.

FB

Comment

Hi New Me, I was initially worried about taking so many supps, but have found that I seem to be in a better "place" with them. I noticed a little anxiety slipping in yesterday, took some evening primrose, calms forte, L-glut and kudzo, and within an hour I felt calmer, so I'd say it works. keke

Comment

Working...
                        X