Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain Waves and Booze: Another Tool for You to Consider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mind influence

hey hows it going well i hope.....im familiar with these technologies but the big question is which ones actually work? hemi-sync----- binural beats--- do you need light and sound---which company produces the best product for example i bought zygon ultra meditation but i was doing another form of meditation at the time and really didn't use the product....so at the risk of a bad pun please enlighten us
    mike

Comment

Roberta Jewell:

Thanks for the personal welcome! I am most impressed with what you have put together here. It has already helped me immensely over just the last few days I have been a member. I have seen those links you mentioned in my past research, but never purchased the equipment. I have however, combined hypnotic CD's, and paraliminal tapes in combination with my light/sound devices to get new effects.

spacie:
      Yes, its a reward to use my machine for my sessions. Sometimes, I ramp clear down to very slow delta wave, and end up in a very strange place that I like to visit. More on this later. Also, I too have triggers from music concerts in my youth. I went to see "Rush" in the early 1980's during their peak, and got absolutely obliterated on booze and drugs during the concert. It seemed they went hand in hand. It is a great memory to have, the exhiliration of seeing them live up close. Now, I can listen to their music a quarter century later, without the chemicals, and get a new appreciation that I never had before. It's better to be sober!

surfer2:
      In my experience, I have had effects from almost all the brain wave synchronization products and devices. Some more than others. Right now, I am partial to an old analog device called "The Shaman". I don't believe they sell it anymore, but it does things different than digital devices. Hard to explain. Its like the difference in sound between a vinyl LP record, and a CD. I will leave it at that. It's like a lot of things. People have their preferences, and I don't believe one thing is the "best". They just do things a little differently. I just want others to be aware that it was a key element in my abstinence.

Comment

CV1, thank you!! I appreciate your comments, and will head to the link right now!

Comment

thanks RJ

yes its all relative the meditation i was refering to was mantra type but even after many hours of practice my cravings still were there .perhaps the proper brain entrainment plus the proper hypno cd will do the trick.

anyway as always thank you so much for helping so many who are in need

Comment

Hi All,
            I used the centerpointe CD when I was pregnant 4 years ago with my second child. I listened every evening and when from being very anxious and scared to very calm and positive. It helped me follow my instincts and made childbirth and early motherhood wonderfull. For somereason I stopped. Part of me didn't like my relaxation being reliant on a CD. I've just started listening again at night. I have also purchased some hypnisis MP3 downloads as I wasn't sure about hypnosis and couldn't afford much money. I find listening to a calming voice wonderfull and they are short, only 20 mins so can be fitted in easily. Its an english accent to which I find more calming than an american one.
            Thanks for all this information
            Suz
            Suz
            Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Continuing on with my essay:

OK, in my quest to moderate or abstain from drinking, I reasoned ingesting alcohol or other chemicals was just a way to change my consciousness. A case of beer, or a quart of whiskey, or a few bottles of wine has a very powerful effect on our perceptions and consciousness.

I have read that changing ones consciousness is a natural part of being a human. Its like when maybe you were a child, you spun around and around to get dizzy. Then when you fell over, you giggled and laughed because you have sent in signals via your inner ear to your brain. You may have found the experience to be pleasant, and fun. Of course, as we grew, this was deemed inappropriate behavior in our society. After all, how many times have to been to a party where you see people spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down? Instead, as accepted social behavior we ingest drinks that contain ethanol, or inhale the gases from burning leaves of certain plants. It's what is allowed, rather than spinning around.

I wanted to find a substitute for putting toxic chemicals into my body. Many people find it in other ways. They engage in high-risk activities like skydiving or racing, or anything else that produces a sense of exhilaration and temporary alteration of consciousness. Those things are expensive, and carry the danger of immediate injury or death. Drinking to excess is relatively safe in the short term if done under controlled conditions, but has long-term damages. It is also relatively inexpensive. Our society has a massive industrial machine centered on the production of ethanol drink, and tobacco delivery systems. A lot of people must like to do it, or we as a species would not have created such an incredible technological-industrial infrastructure to produce them.

I read in my earlier years of Tibetan monks, and Hindu yogis that got intense and profound alterations of consciousness without the use of chemicals or dangerous activities. Zen meditation, and yogic mediation were attractive. I tried to do them, but found that I had not the time to do them, and further found that they did not align with what my desires were. I did want those benefits they wrote of though. The book, ?Autobiography of a Yogi? by Paramhansa Yogananda described things about deep meditation that I wanted to experience, but knew that it would require a life-long commitment. So, instead, I drank myself silly and got my ?jollies? that way I suppose.

So now, coming back to now. The brain waves I explained, the reasons I explained, and the tools I described. Many things seemed to all coalesce about 9 months ago. Things I had studied passively, or actively for short periods of time, in a large collection of learning and research were all in my ?toolkit?. A trigger event happened to make me want to make a radical change in my life, and I grabbed that toolkit, and pulled every thing I had out. I was determined to make a change, by the grace of whatever forces make this universe what it is.

I began using my light/sound mind machine again, along with the other tools I had. Using the machine just by itself was not enough. It had to be integrated with all the other things I had collected, studied, or used over the last 30 years of my life.

I began a simple, but flexible regimen. This is my own personal setting, so do not, and I repeat DO NOT expect it work for you. Everyone is different. Every ones brain waves are just as individual as their fingerprints. If you decide you want to add this to your own personal toolkit, then be aware that you will need to experiment to find your own best settings. Many machines have preset programs, and they are great to use, but may not give you a personal best experience. I have a small battery powered light/sound machine that I can travel with, that has only pre-sets. It is good for certain things, but not so good for others. Again, I want to emphasize, that this is a very personal matter. What works for me, will most likely not be the best for you. However, the most expensive machines have a wide range of adjustment and programming options. If I were just starting out, I would get the least expensive machine there was, and start with that. I gave a link earlier for an audio only CD that you can get as a free demo to see if you want to add this tool, and judge for yourself if you want more sophisticated ways.

I use a 30-minute program twice a week. It starts at 12 cycles per second, or the top end of the alpha. It stays there for about 5 minutes, so that I can entrain. When you entrain, you are looking to let go and let ?it happen?. This requires some practice. Then over the next 25 minutes it slowly and evenly ramps down to about 2.5 to 3.0 cycles per second. This takes me through the alpha range, through the theta, and down to the delta. At this point it stays at that level. Sometimes I stop right there, or sometimes I will go for another 10 to 15 minutes at the delta range. I have an option to fade out sound and light, but if I use that, I am usually sound asleep at the end. The volume I use is very low, and the light intensity is at its highest setting. That again, is a personal preference for "letting go".

To be continued?

Comment

Final installment

Brain Waves and Booze continued:

At this point, I wanted to make reference of a book that gives greatly expanded information on the things I am writing about. It?s ?Mega Brain Power? by Michael Hutchison. I don?t believe its in print anymore, but my copy is from 1994.

Chapter 26 specifically addresses the use of light/sound mind machines in recovering from any sort of substance abuse. I find it still has a listing on Amazon, which I will link here. Used copies may be available, and it may be in local libraries for a borrower.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Brain-Power-Transform-Nutrients/dp/1562827707/sr=8-1/qid=1158191327/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8354146-9843919?ie=UTF8&s=books]Amazon.com: Mega Brain Power: Transform Your Life With Mind Machines and Brain Nutrients: Michael Hutchison: Books[/ame]

The authors? explanation of the neural and bio-chemical mechanisms behind addiction, and the difficulties one encounters on withdrawal made sense to me.

One thing he wrote about in that chapter, that I identified with closely, is the condition known as anhedonia. This is when the recovering substance abuser has an inability to feel pleasure. One finds that nothing is any ?fun? anymore. This he explains is a powerful reason many return back to their poisons. Not because they feel bad, but because they can?t feel good anymore. At any rate, he goes into the positive results obtained from light/sound machines in alleviating this condition. In my case, I think it?s made a significant difference. I was very concerned about losing the pleasure I got from listening to music. I looked forward to going through a good down-n-dirty drinking spree, because I would really get a charge out of my music collection. Whenever I was sober, it just did not seem to interest me. That would have been a real ?bummer? for me, to get sober, and then not get any pleasure from my albums. I am happy to report to you readers here, that I am able to get new pleasures from my music collection, which I was not even aware of while being zonked on booze.

I also wanted to convey a few observations of my own, in using the machines that I felt were important.

First, I felt that it was important to get as physically relaxed as possible before using the machine. This was simple preparation. Doing muscle stretches helped, as did sitting quietly with no TV or distractions going on for a few minutes. A long soak in a hot bath to get really relaxed seemed to improve the effectiveness of my sessions immensely.

Second, use the machine in a place where one feels completely safe and secure. I found that if I was worried about something intruding on me, then it made it difficult to ?let go?, and get entrained with the sound and light.

Third, using other meditation techniques helped me as well. Using an ?ahm? mantra while beginning, or concentrating on my own breathing intensely seems to increase the effectiveness of my sessions to good degree. Being overwhelmed with thoughts of what has happened at work, family, etc. kept me from getting entrained.

Fourth, not all sessions end with equal results. Even though I?ve been doing this a while, some times it works really well, and some times it does not work at all. It seems to be all related to how agitated or distracted I am by other things. You have to ?want? to be taken away by the experience. I?m a bit of a control freak at times, and the trick to getting a good session is to surrender to the experience.

Fifth, using herbal relaxants before a session such as valerian root, passionflower, skullcap, or hops seems to have some benefit.

One last thing before I close this out, is that both the machines I have, are both fitted with an external audio input jack. This means you can combine the material from a hypnotic CD, or a paraliminal tape, or a subliminal tape, or even music if you wish. This gives new and different results from those programs I have found.

There is a lot of material out on the Internet about these machines, and a variety of reports on their effectiveness, and the results others have experienced. My experience has been that they have become a great help in alleviating the urge to guzzle the goofy juice when things have been stressful for me. They are not an all encompassing "magic bullet" by any means, but just another tool I use in my journey to stay sober. I still need all the help I can get. I just wanted to share that bit of information with all the fine members of this forum.

Comment

Thank you for the info - it is much more my style than the meds. I did start topa a couple of weeks ago and am having trouble with it - will probably stop the meds. However, the holosync is another story -- I have used other meditation methods and a friend mentioned holosync to me recently, he is going to give me his cds when he receives some new ones - in the meantime I am going to try the trial cd I ordered. I really had not thought about it in terms of addiction ---- Thanks so much:thanks:

Comment

Kat, please let me know your results with the Holosync. I am going to order them hopefully next month if I can get our credit card paid off. I ordered the demo CD and it makes sense to me but I am also skeptical. So please keep me informed. Thanks!
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Mind Alive machine

I think will be buying it for my 3 year old autisitic diaghter thank you RJ! I think will add this to General Discussion so the other parents on here with autistic kids definitely get to see it.
                      Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Bumping this thread up - as an alternative to Ketamine induced therapy.

Comment

Holosync, Megabrain Power, and Zen Matcha

X-

Thank you so much for the info on Holosync cd's from Centerpointe Research. I just started listening to the cd's and love The Dive with the rainfall and the zen bells. I find it incredibly peaceful. The research indicates that when listening with stereo earphones on, different sounds and signals are sent to each ear and the brain has to create new pathways to interpret the sounds. I love the imagery of new circuits being created. When I have just tried to remove alcohol from life, I have failed. If I am creating new circuits in my my mind and not just repeating the same old behavior, I have a better chance of success. I am very excited about the program and advancing to the next level where I get to insert my own affirmations.

I also have read a few sections in Megabrain Power by Michael Hutchison that you suggested. I am eager to read more and so far, it makes good sense to me. Maybe will order a light and sound machine after I have done more investigation.

I don't think we can easily overcome addictions without a replacement behavior. I have replaced my ritual of wine with a ritual of Zen Matcha. More info can be found @ Zen Matcha. It is a green tea powder that is very expensive and used by zen monks. Has more antioxidants than blueberries. Because it is expensive and used in ceremonies, I have a reverence for it. I know that probably sounds strange. I bought a special bowl to drink it from also sold by Zen Matcha that makes it feel like a special treat. I did splurge with the expense but was splurging on wine and this is much healthier.

I feel like I have learned the tools I needed from this site. The holistic thread has been most helpful to me, largely due to your shared experiences. It is nice to have tools in my toolbox in which I have confidence.

I have also gained some great friendships through the site which is an added bonus.

All the best and thanks again for your contributions to this thread-

Lucky

P.S. Of course proper nutrition, including All One and the supplments, cannot be overlooked in the path to wellness, as well as exercise, 30 min. of sun per day, and good loving.

Comment

Lucky, I am excited to order these CDs as well. I really enjoyed the demo CD that was sent to me and can see it working for me. Thanks X for turning us on to this.
                            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

ttt

UPDATE: 6/18/08

I bumped this up so that a friend could find it easier. They had asked about my use of the methods I describe in this thread. This was one of the very first posts I made when I joined the forum in September 2006.

Comment

Thanks, xtex, for writing AND bumping this (I wasn't here first time round, so missed it).

This is VERY interesting and exciting. I gave it a 5-star rating-- hope that gets some more attention for others (and it will make it easier to find again).

Thank you Thank you. Hope you are well.
                                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X