how long to take l-glutamine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started taking l-glutamine a few days ago and it seems to be helping quite a bit, my gut is not grumbling as much, except for when I've been drinking but, before it used to grumble all the time.

I was trying to Google for how long it takes to get the effects of l-glutamine and I came across an IBS forum that said you only have to take it for 1-2 months until the intestinal lining is healed. However, if I continue to drink then do I have to continue to take it?

I'm kind of concerned since while I was trying to research this earlier today I found an article on a site that talks about the benefits for l-glutamine but, it gives some warnings as to not take under a few situations, a couple which are kidney problems and cirrhosis of liver. This is the link to the article - FAQs on glutamine - a nutritional supplement that is used in body building to increase muscle mass

Last time I went to get my blood tests done was a couple years ago and I've been drinking the same amount then and now and everything came out fine on the 2nd test (on the first test, i was told to fast the night before and i didn't and i drank (due to insomnia) so my first test the liver tests didn't come out right and they asked me to do a 2nd test and I fasted that time and didn't drink the night before and it came out normal).

However, when I started taking these supplements, on Monday I did start to feel some ache around my stomach area, sides, and lower area I guess which is kidneys. I was thinking it could be since I just started putting all these supplements in my system right away, whereas I haven't been taking any supplements for couple years and all of a sudden I start taking daily 5g of l-glutamine, B-50 complex, 750mg Gaba, 1 tbs of All One, 2 of Milk Thistle. Maybe I'm shocking my system or something? I guess my liver has to process all that? So, I'm going to go slower and cut everything out except for the All One, l-glutamine and B-50 complex and build up slowly. I really need the l-glutamine since my gut is in bad shape and I hope it will help me fix the heartburn issue so I don't have to take Prilosec OTC since I've heard that heartburn meds like those aren't good for the system either they are just temporary fixes.

However, I'm not sure how long to continue taking it, I do want to fix the gut but, dont' want to do worst damage on my kidneys/liver since I'm probably doing enough of that from drinking, so I'm concerned if I could be making it worst combining it with l-glutamine.

I hope to quit drinking in the near future but, I wanted to ask for now anybody else here take l-glutamine long term or had similiar reactions to their system when they started taking a lot of supplements at once?

I don't know exactly what to recommend U, but I do know people have varying effects from using glut. I get diarrhea, which is likely due to gut deterioration from AL abuse. Can you cut down on the AL at all? I know that might seem like a daft question, but both AL and glut give me the runs, and then I start requiring anti-diarrhea drugs which just keep the toxins inside but keep me from living on the toilet.

Sounds like starting out slower is good in your case. Hang in there!

Comment

Yes, I'm trying to cut down from 8 a day to 6 beers a day to start. Usually I start drinking at 6:30pm but, I'm' trying to start later so I'll get sleepy/done quicker, yesterday started at 7:30pm and today at 8pm. Yesterday I drank about 7, hoping I can get it down to 6 tonight.

Before I started taking glut, I would have to take a #2 really bad in the mornings after drinking, but lately it seems I don't have to go as quickly/badly. I always go before I shower and yesterday I even forgot to go until after I showered since I didn't feel like I had to go (I realized in the shower). I don't know if this is going to last, improve or get worst. I just started taking these supplements this past Monday.

Comment

Working...
      X