Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depression

Light

After reading a post on another thread where a "happy light" was mentioned in an aside, I have just spent two hours researching light or photo therapy.
    Originally this was only used to treat SAD (seasonal affective disorder) but there are some studies on it being used for depression with good results.
    I am really frustrated though because there are differences in opinion as to the "type" of light to use and only one seems to be available in Australia. Of course it is the one that got the least good mentions with at least one very negative write up.
    I found one treatment facility that is using the therapy for Parkinsons patients as depression is a really big issue but of course although they detail the treatment protocol and results, they do not specify the lamp used. I sent an email asking what type and where I could get one, hopefully they will not reply that it is a whizz bang onsite computerised machine I could never afford?
    You are probably all thinking that I have really lost my marbles! How could anyone in Australia need this? Remember I am not getting out to get sunshine and this summer has been 9 days of overcast misery for every 1 of sunshine (or so it seems anyway), even the weather reporters are moaning about it.
    I'm not holding out for it to be a cure all, good nutrition, L glut, vitamins, omega 3 are all on the list too.
    Given that it was an SSRI that I had a bad reaction with I am planning on being cautious as the therapy works by stimulating seratonin production, so where the protocol indicates 30 minutes per day I thought I would try ten and see how it goes.
    Still awaiting a place in detox.
    " I'm not trying to counsel any of you to do anything really special, except to dare to think and to dare to go with the truth and to dare to love completely." -R. Buckminster Fuller

Comment

depression

hi Chil interesting philosify,it is nice to be back here and see how much people have grown,the old saying,what we were tot by our parents doesnt mean it was rite,but we as humans tend to mope on it,that is human,remember what we read is always someone elses opinion, until our minds become SOBER could we relate

Comment

depression

FreeFly;1251456 wrote: Just researching Tissue Salts for something else and came across this. Thought I'd share on this thread...

Tissue Salts for Depression

Biochemic tissue cell salts are made from the minerals that are found in the rocks and soil of the earth. These minerals should be present in our food and bodies for balanced health. Due to modern agricultural practices, many vital minerals are leached from the soil and this can cause a mineral deficiency in the human body.
        Hi Free, I found your post intriguing. I've been using Celtic Salt for a couple of years instead of sea salt, in cooking and on food. I was on a low salt regimen my entire life due to hypertension, and in doing research on my thyroid, found that my sodium level was 25 (normal range 50-300). I was advised by the yahoo group for thyroid that I should take Celtic salt daily, so started using it on food and also took some in water initially to speed up the salt in my tissues. For the first time in years, I was able to sleep through the night because I didn't have to pee every five minutes. Meanwhile, my mainstream MD, sweet as he is, said my sodium level was no big deal. This self-doctoring we do is exhausting.

The reason they advised Celtic salt was because it has all those minerals that are missing from our diets. My sodium is now 50.
        http://www.celticseasalt.com/PDF/compare.pdf

Comment

depression

Hello everyone, and thanks for starting this thread Chilli. Brilliant discussion and sharing of info.

I hear one effect of AD's taken when drinking regularly, is that the booze somehow cancels them out, so they don't work. This is probably common knowledge?

Willow, i would love to somehow see some of your craft work/art. Anyway you could post some pics? Only if you're comfortable doing that of course. Also, your description of your existence when drinking, mirror's mine in many ways, so thanks for sharing. When i'm sober, i am completely different. I am powerful, positive, self esteem is high, and self respectful. Great to hear from you.

Chilli, i'm getting a lot out of your sharing of dietary info, and the sugar effect too. So thankyou for that, and thanks to you, and everyone here for the thread.

Best wishes all,

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

depression

Nothing to see

Hi,

ahhh I always get this far and forget who I am replying to sorry :l

Sea salt now added to the list :thanks:

I have about six "projects" in various stages, none of them worth posting at present and completed work from prior times was all given away as gifts. Also because my craft now includes opals and they are so darn hard to photograph, I need to learn a lot about that side first.

The description of me "when drinking" is only worse than the description when "depressed but at least not drinking" in small ways. When depressed but not drinking I still neglect myself and my room, have no motivation to do anything but I do have some "better days", maybe once a fortnight? Also when drinking I don't get the cruelly intense, long lived, downs that I get when I am depressed and not drinking. I guess that's the attraction to give in to AL, unmotivated and numb Vs unmotivated and in pain.
            Picking up a drink this time instead of persevering to look for maybe some more guns to help with the depression was the biggest blunder ever! No excuse can be made!

I tracked down the only light therapy unit available in Australia, it is $349 free shipping (no wonder there is no price on their website) I can send to the UK and get one (different brand and one I like better) for $118 plus shipping but I just tried and Australia is not on the shipping list, so I have sent them an email and am hoping we can organise something.
            I realise that the Australian retailer probably gets hit with big import duty but I will not have to pay any under therapeutic goods for personal use. This inequity with health products needs addressing as it does hurt retailers here but I have to save money however I can.

A place available in detox in two days. Pick myself up dust myself off and start all over again.

Willow
            " I'm not trying to counsel any of you to do anything really special, except to dare to think and to dare to go with the truth and to dare to love completely." -R. Buckminster Fuller

Comment

depression

Best wishes with your de-tox and beyond Willow.

G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

depression

Your Life After Trauma Radio Archives | Your Life After Trauma

some of you might like these interview recordings which are about how people have dealt with various traumas in there life.
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

depression

Willow - wishing you well with the detox :lilheart:

Comment

depression

Bruunhilde;1253034 wrote: Hi Free, I found your post intriguing. I've been using Celtic Salt for a couple of years instead of sea salt, in cooking and on food. I was on a low salt regimen my entire life due to hypertension, and in doing research on my thyroid, found that my sodium level was 25 (normal range 50-300). I was advised by the yahoo group for thyroid that I should take Celtic salt daily, so started using it on food and also took some in water initially to speed up the salt in my tissues. For the first time in years, I was able to sleep through the night because I didn't have to pee every five minutes. Meanwhile, my mainstream MD, sweet as he is, said my sodium level was no big deal. This self-doctoring we do is exhausting.

The reason they advised Celtic salt was because it has all those minerals that are missing from our diets. My sodium is now 50.
                    http://www.celticseasalt.com/PDF/compare.pdf
                    Hi Bruun,

I use Hymalayan Crystal Salt to get all the minerals/trace elements. All "white" salt is stripped of it's nutrients and some rubbish added to help it pour - can't remember what. I was taking sole (water and high concentration salt solution) in the mornings which I've forgotten to do recently til you reminded me - thanks. LIke you said, this self-doctoring is exhausting sometimes!
                    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

depression

Thanks

I need to vent.
                      I had a phone call saying the place was"gone".
                      They had admissions through the ER, last time I went in via ER I got a lecture from detox staff! Basically "don't do that again you aren't sick enough and you waste the time of ER and someone could die" That is why this time I rang the detox and got put "on the wait list" but it is BS they triage at the ER i.e. patients and staff allocation are prioritised!
                      So I got a bit antsy on the phone and had a frank and open exchange of views with the caller and then got really antsy and went and got more AL.
                      A few days ago I took part in an online and telephone study into depression being run by Macquarie University. The Psychologist who interviewed me was very caring. I think that tomorrow I will go to the ER (I refuse to go now that I have been drinking today) and take the diagnostic results of that interview with me, cut and pasted below.
                      we have examined your responses to the telephone interview and online questionnaire. Your answers indicate you are experiencing*:
                      Severe symptoms of Depression
                      Moderate symptoms of Panic
                      Severe symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress
                      Severe symptoms of Generalized Anxiety

The staff at the detox unit are not psychiatric nurses, in fact I'm not sure what qualifications they have, it is called a non prescribing detox. You can take meds in with you and they are allowed to hand them out but even in the case of emergency (I was there when there was one) they are not allowed to do anything medical they call an ambulance or frantically request assistance to be sent from the ER which is 500 metres away. They do not do assessments like I have had in other detox, no regular blood pressure or temp checks, no checks for the shakes.
                      Despite that they were willing to make a judgement call based on my condition which was after 12 hours in the ER and two preliminary doses of valium!!!

Vent over.

Comment

depression

Wow, Willow, this all sounds so complicated I wouldn't have the slightest idea in how to respond.......I just hope things work out for you. So sorry.......life can seem overwhelming at times. If it helps, just know I am thinking of you. Let us know what happens after your ER visit???? :lilheart:

Comment

depression

Willow, that sounds like a nightmare. I'm sorry you went through that. I'm confused though. Did you get through a full detox or are you still waiting.
                          Ginger

You are here:
                          sigpic

Comment

Blast from the past. Bump!

Comment

I'm currently on three antidepressant myself, citalopram (Celexa) and also mirtazapine (Remeron) and doxepin, but the latter two are mostly for sedation before bed. Like many depressed people, I medicated my depression using alcohol and drugs. One of my best friends from college quipped over the telephone, "You live in the Sunshine State. Why are you inside drinking and abusing your medications (I'm currently prescribed benzodiazepines and I've been on pain meds in the past) when you can be outside???" Good point since we basically have warm weather and sunshine all year round in Florida.

There really is no substitute for talking to people. I have a wonderful therapist and I'm considering admitting myself into an intensive outpatient program, but that is only once a week, only ten hours a week for the IOP. I'm without a wife or significant other for the first time in about 20 years, and I live by myself so it's really easy for me to isolate myself, which allows me to get inside my own head and that is not a place I need to be without adult supervision. There are always people hanging around the picnic benches around AA, so even if I don't go to a meeting I know I can drive or ride my bike over there and make conversation with other alcoholics and addicts.

I've also resumed my hobbies (cycling, kayaking, sailing and I hope scuba diving soon) and it's sad to think about all the times I could have been doing these things and I was passed out in bed.

I also try other holistic approaches. I take a B complex every morning and my psychiatrist prescribed 50,000 units of vitamin D weekly since like most alcoholics I'm vitamin D deficient. My therapist also recommended asking the doctor about high dose thiamine as well (300-600mg 3x daily). I also regularly go to get a Chinese reflexology (foot) massage. Don't know if the science behind it is sound, but it sure does feel good.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a happy and healthy day. Thank you chillgirl for this thread.
                              First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Hey Aihfl,

I agree, talking with people is good! I can easily isolate myself too and live a cycle of drinking alone 24/7. I also am sad for me, when i think of the wasted hours, days, years spent in a chair drinking whilst the real world keeps spinning round. Looks like you're being pro-active with your life/health and taking daily action. Me too. All the best and keep it going. G

Comment

Working...
                                X