value of meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

value of meditation

good thread Nancy. I've gotten to chapter 4 of the "miracle of mindfullness" by Thich Naht Hanh" and it's a tad odd by western standards, but a fascinating and very specific book.
    And Popeye, you make perfectly good sense and I can relate.
    Try not to be scared Gem...our minds are perhaps like a room that has to be cleaned once in a while...maybe a dirty pair of socks somewhere but we gotta clean 'em some day
    I love to meditate but find myself just not taking..er. MAKING the time like I should.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

value of meditation

heya Changing. come to think of it I think the first time I recall reading on mindfullness it was Wayne Dyer and his handbook to higher consciousness.....called it "being here now".
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

value of meditation

really enjoying this thread....agree with you nancy about not struggling in the feelings and ending the battle which is hard......popeye I find yoga so calming and it takes a while to get into it.....Decide the type of yoga you think you would like. I prefer the gentle one but there are quite a few. sign up and see what happens and hidden gem I really agree about the keeping busy bit. I suppose it is to be conscious in each moment. The past is gone the future is unknown and what I am working on lately is bringing my awareness into this moment with the breath. Sometimes the busyness of life and all that thinking stuff dominates. The meditations even really short ones bring my awareness back to the present....deep thoughts for a monday morning! It is a bank holiday in my part of the world thanks to St. Patrick so I am allowed! I wonder would buddha and St. Patrick get on? :happyheart:

Have a good day to all....

Comment

value of meditation

Hi determinator....must look up that book you suggested on the net. Sounds good.

Comment

value of meditation

Just went and picked up Chodron's 'The Wisdom Of No Escape' - looks like a very interesting read and got nothing but rave reviews on Amazon. I've read this thread a couple of times with great interest - thanks for starting it!
            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

value of meditation

meditation for beginners

Have also been getting access to material from Jack Kornfield, including CDs called
              Meditation for Beginners. I still think it's best though to take a few classes so you can learn how to sit (there is more to it than you would think!) good luck with it...

Comment

value of meditation

Just want to say what a fascinating discussion this is - can't participate as I plead complete ignorance to both meditation and Buddhism. However, being now off the alcohol I want to readress so many perceived inbalances in my life and love what I've read here - thanks so much for your thoughts and insights!

The only time I encountered Buddhism face to face was on holiday in Sri Lanka. Our guide was a Buddhist and he was one of the most wonderful human beings I have ever met. His gentle nature and yet amazing inner strength was just amazing. There was an aura about him that is hard to describe and though I knew him for just 4 days and I forget his face and I forget his name, there was a 'spirit' about him that I will never forget. We talked only little about the teachings of Buddha but I do remember that our visit was only a short while after the Tamil rebels blew up their most religious temple - the temple that housed the Buddha's tooth - so I asked what retaliation there had been and he answered 'none' - retaliation was against the teachings of Buddha - his inner strength and sense of peace shone through in everything he did and at that point I decided I'd like to know more. It is now 10 years later and I'm no further forward, but this and other threads (along with a minor life-change!) are finally the prompt I need - I read somewhere about the right time, so maybe this is it!

I like the idea of it being a philosophy rather than a religion and I like the idea of 'teachings' rather than 'indoctrinations'. I also love reading and learning so I guess that's the best place to start - Amazon here I come. One book I do love and would recommend for its beauty of language and thought is 'The Prophet' by Kahlil Gibran - an Eastern poet and philosopher ...
                :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                Goals:
                Days 1-7 DONE
                Days 8-14 DONE
                Days 15-21 DONE
                30 days DONE
                60 days
                100 days

Comment

Working...
                X