JUST A THOUGHT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JUST A THOUGHT.

Rags;106490 wrote: Oh, yeah, just by the way, that big fat Buddha we all see, isn't. It is a statue of a monk. The message got garbled many hundreds of years ago with Chinese whispers and somehow that obese monk suddenly became the next Buddha to be in chinese and other Asian lore. It's total drivel. He was just a monk, whose name I forget. The fat bit signified wealth and abundance ... in this case not monetary wealth, but the wealth of the knowledge, and state of awakening he had.
    Myth number one smashed.
    Raggsy
    I never could get to like that particular fat smiling monk buddha image!

The Buddha image in the style of the Great Buddha of Kamakura on the other hand can make me feel relaxed almost at a glance.
    Weird. But I suppose it is just pavlovian conditioning - I associate the image with relaxed and meditative states, so the image can invoke these states.

Satori

xx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Dear Sartori,
      I have a beautiful little Buddha figure on my alter. Made of wood, about 4" high. With a western looking face and no long earlobes. When/if I ever go to Bali, it is going with me so I can get a wood carver to make a bigger one.
      The beautiful sense of calm I get when I look at it is so peaceful.
      Fran

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

I have a statue of Buddha, dark brown wood...He is sitting in the lotus position, hands in his lap, eyes closed, his face is thin and he has such a peaceful look on it, its beautiful....
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

At he last count I have ten Buddha statues of various styles - except the fat jolly monk style! around my home

I tend to collect them whenever I go abroad.

Satori

xxx
          "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Working...
          X