A New Way To Look At My Drinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi AA, isnt the human brain a strange organ,whether you take it from budda,or any other faith,we lose the will to say no,or some of us do,ive been thrugh the doors of AA,for 10 years now,there teachings actually come from the christian faith,i see your into reading and i think thats great,you AA are a very wise person,the old saying is , do what you got do,have a wonderful weekend gyco

Comment

AAthlete;110479 wrote: Rocky, thanks for your post - if things that we post here cannot be open to honest debate than what good is the site?

To me, the words make perfect sense, although maybe for different reasons. I do not deny for one minute that alcohol can be all those things and more.

To me, the choice is, do I let myself be bitter and resentful that I have to fight alcohol all the time and try to deny to myself that I have a problem with it? Or, do I instead accept the fact that I cannot drink alcohol, understand that I didn't cause or ask for it to be that way, and once I am at peace with that reality, let those feelings go?

It's still a difficult concept for me, I'll admit, but it does make sense all the same.

I know that we are striving for the same thing - and thankfully there are many paths to get us there!
      AA this is a tough one and perhaps quite personal. *I* finally accepted the fact that I cannot comfortably drink AL. I am not resentful but saying 'no' to what has been marketed to us as the norm is not easy. I do say no because I do not want to back pedal. *I* actually think I was born this way because I cannot recall ever feeling like I could control my drinking. I just do not have an AL 'off switch'. Finding out that I was not alone made things easier to accept.

Comment

Dear FloridaBoy (Love the name!!)
        Just read your post and it's very similar to what I wrote about how you constitute and alcoholic. The "off switch" is a saying that my friends have been laughing at for years. I've always referred to my group of friends (alcoholics) as not having an off switch. I also believe that a person is born like this. I also don't think that anyone is born wanting this type of addiction.....we're just addictive personalities and are wired towards dependance of some type of chemical...ours being alcohol. I am actually doing really well right now and am happy. (exceot for the stress of my job) You are so right about knowing you're not alone making it so much easier. I immediately felt "security" and "hope" when I found this site. We shouldn't feel bitter or resentful....but sometimes do. I especially found your post something I realted to and special.

Comment

Satori

I'd like to hear more too. It's interesting. Saves me from reading a book on it. :thanks:
          Starting over again
          ray:

Comment

Hi AA
            Just saw this thread after how long!!! A year!!!!
            Must catch up some day. What a shame that Buddhist threads are put in holistic healing rather than What we Believe. I did post a few threads in there last year, plus a couple of great meditations.
            This is a good thread.

Comment

Rags,
              You are right we should put this thread in what we believe rather than holisitc healing. The Buddhists are onto something and I have always have had some kind of attraction to their beliefs. We can all use some inspiration! Just a thought.

Comment

I am using meditation too, although I am not good at shutting out the thoughts that invade. But it is helpful and I believe will really aid in the cravings and overall happiness of life. Rocky posted way back all those labels, but I have a problem with that, in that we are not those labels, we are people who have a problem but that doesn't make us "problem" people. We should look at, examine the craving, the addiction, not as something that defines us, but something that is an aspect that we may decide doesn't aid us in our development and we can then decide to let it go. Roberta posted about a podcast that was great, and I love these guided meditations, from the Meditation Society of Australia. Just search on itunes and enjoy, they're free.
                The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

I have meditated for many years but I find I go to a much deeper place when I'm in a workshop setting. Something about giving it up (to the teacher, to the group, or the setting) takes the "me" out of the equation. I live rurally so I don't have frequent access to teachers, so I do read a lot of books, or listen to CDs. I once heard Ram Dass speak in the 70's and my life completely changed from it. I also believe that when the student is ready the teacher will appear. The trick is being ready for that moment. Courage, ruralmidwife

Comment

Working...
                  X