Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression

Ive been drinking beers and smoke weed past 27 years (without 1 day off, 24 hrs). Anytime I try to stop for more than 12 hours depression hits me hard.

Ive read 100's of threads but I can't my finger on the best supplement that may help.

I want to use this thread as a poll kinda of. Please chime in and tell me what you think is best. I have never taken anything in the past .

Depression

Hiya Reno, and welcome.

Booze is a depressant, and it sure will make you feel depressed for a little while when you stop. For some folk, booze induced/hangover/withdrawal related depression may last up to a couple of days/week, and for others, it may last longer, OR, you may find you have a form of depression without the booze and the weed. I suspect the after effects of stopping weed, may last longer than booze, but it can be different for each of us.

Can you see a doctor or medical professional to support you with giving the weed and booze up, and staying off them? This will be a safer option if you've never tried to stop before for more than 12 hours, and don't know how your body will react.

Best wishes friend. You are not alone here. You can do this.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Depression

Reno;1482563 wrote: Ive read 100's of threads but I can't my finger on the best supplement that may help.
      Reno,

I just referred someone to this site today and came across your post. I personally think it is extremely helpful. You may also want to rent the movie called "Food Matters" which is where this vignette is from. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPRNTjrrbY[/video]]Nutritional Links to Depression and Mental Illness - YouTube

:l
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Depression

Exercise is an excellent anti-depressant, better than meds in some studies.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Depression

Eve11;1482609 wrote: Reno,

I just referred someone to this site today and came across your post. I personally think it is extremely helpful. You may also want to rent the movie called "Food Matters" which is where this vignette is from. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPRNTjrrbY[/video]]Nutritional Links to Depression and Mental Illness - YouTube

Eve11
          O my godness !! Thank You. I'm running to the store now!!

Comment

Depression

Sunbeam;1482616 wrote: Exercise is an excellent anti-depressant, better than meds in some studies.
            I'm a carpenter.. Work on my feet 8 hrs per day..

Comment

Depression

supplements

Most of the supplement approaches I read about involve multiple supplements. So it sounds like you want one quick fix, one natural pill? I doubt if you will find that but will keep an open mind. The multiple supplement approach is expensive and not really proven, but worth reading about, especially if you think you have a nutritional deficiency. Read My Way Out and Seven Weeks to Sobriety.

You don't say how much you are drinking and smoking but if it's a lot it's not surprising you would have a hangover with severe depression on withdrawal. I think you should taper down, if possible. Is that possible? Have you ever tried tapering down instead of cold turkey?

And you might have issues separate from alcohol that need to be resolved. Psychotherapy and self-esteem help a lot with that. Both natural.

Comment

Depression

nancy;1482657 wrote: Most of the supplement approaches I read about involve multiple supplements. So it sounds like you want one quick fix, one natural pill? I doubt if you will find that but will keep an open mind. The multiple supplement approach is expensive and not really proven, but worth reading about, especially if you think you have a nutritional deficiency. Read My Way Out and Seven Weeks to Sobriety.

You don't say how much you are drinking and smoking but if it's a lot it's not surprising you would have a hangover with severe depression on withdrawal. I think you should taper down, if possible. Is that possible? Have you ever tried tapering down instead of cold turkey?

And you might have issues separate from alcohol that need to be resolved. Psychotherapy and self-esteem help a lot with that. Both natural.
                About 12 beers a day more or less depending if I worked that day, bout a gram of weed, not much. I never tried cold turkey or tapering down the past 13 years.
                I sorta off been tapering down the past few weeks.
                Thanks for the replies all. I'm feeling sober before bed which is a good thing instead of passing out.

Comment

Depression

Reno;1482630 wrote: O my godness !! Thank You. I'm running to the store now!!
                  Reno,
                  You can get this on Netflix...I'm watching the one on nutrition and bipolar.
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Depression

tapering

Why don't you try weaning yourself off it?
                    Try 10 a day this week or whatever you can handle and one day with none.

Comment

Depression

I stopped drinking last night around 9pm, normally I drink until I fall asleep bout midnight. Woke up at 3am and could not fall back to sleep.

Comment

Depression

you will have a rough go at sleeping for a while...it took me weeks to get into a normal flow of going to bed and sleeping through the night. lots of anxiety too...
                        10-06-2012

Comment

Working...
                        X