Nutrition question: Essential fatty acids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hereatlast, that's wonderful! a counsellor that doesn't jump for the pharmy drugs right off the batt.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

okay when i first realized i was a depressed or depressive person, i looked into omega 3's. they can work to a point depending on your chemical and maybe genetic makeup. they help me to a point..........that's just me though........I have chemical and genetic issues that i have no clue to how to handle them. my advice is to give them a shot. omega's may give you some relief to edginess, irratiability and other symptoms........ give natural relief supplements a try..........if they don't work after a while then try some other natural cures before you look into drugs..........for some the holistic approach may be a great idea. for some of us, the pharacuetical(sp) approach may be best.......who am i to judge. i'm not sure what road may help me at this point. my issue may be chemical. only time may tell since i have stopped my anti-depressant to test the idea out in a dangerous time for me to test this theory out............

huggs to all of you trying to find answers........

just h

Comment

Well, after reading this book on omega 3, I realize i most likely am deficient though my diet has improved recently. Since omega 3 is essential and our western diets are deficient and it is shown to help your heart, it makes sense to take it. And since it is involved in brain functioning to some degree, all the more sense.

I don't know about quitting an anti-depressant for this. I think if you want to quit anyway, as I do due to weight gain, and you feel ok, functional and have been on them for more than six months, it seems alright. But if antidepressants keep you afloat and you don't have bad side effects, why not stay on them and still supplement with omega 3, if your diet is deficient.

I want to talk to a doctor who knows conventional and nutritional medicine about all this!

Comment

On flax seeds...my daughter is a "raw foodist" (just eats raw food)...if you eat them whole they just go right through you so they don't do you much good. You have to break them down in some way either by chewing or chopping...a lot of seeds are that way. Flax seeds are VERY good for you but you DO want to make sure you get their full benefit.
          :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Wondering:
            Since I've started taking these supplements and been reading the posts and also the Seven Weeks to Sobriety webpage about the bio-chemical make up of addicts, and depression etc, I've been thinking A LOT about the holistic approach.
            I suffer from social anxiety and was on Effexor for years (horrible drug and nearly impossible to get off of) I went off meds all together fox six months (My friends/BF begged me to go back on, I was a super bitch) and then the social anxiety started coming back so then went to Cymbalta. I am on a low dose (30 mgs) and everything was fine until the last few weeks and now I am getting TERRIBLE night sweats. I literally have to wake up and change my clothes in the middle of the night. I've also read a lot of posts about people being on Cymbalta and drinking more than usual.
            I'm seriously thinking about trying to find a holistic doctor and possibly trying to combat my anxiety through these natural supplements I'm reading so much about. I hate the thought of being on medication the rest of my life. Does anyone have any knowledge, or experience they can share regarding this? Or has been to a holistic doctor? The scary part is I would have to wean myself off of the Cymbalta to start anything (because of the potention of serotonin overdose) but in the long term I think it would be worth it!
            :thanks:
            "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced"

:new:

Comment

Natural paths

I am into the holistic approach but I think you need to be on guard about getting sucked into buying unproven remedies.

The author of Seven Steps to Sobriety has a book called: Depression Free Naturally. It's very interesting. She recommends tryptophan as a natural anti-depressant. She said it replaces serotonin instead of just keeping it in the brain the way SSRIs do (sorry for the over-simplification). if you are in the US you need a prescription for it and you need to take it with certain vitamins.

This book the Omega 3 connection, by a conventional medicine doctor (psychiatrist) named andrew stoll, is extremely persuasive. It argues that omega 3 is essential for mental wellbeing and most diets in the west are extremely deficient. HE says not to stop what you are taking but to supplement it with omega 3. also works for people who can't tolerate certain drugs.

I really believe there is so much to be said for nutrition and mental well-being. This is all new for me, mainly since I started coming to this website.

I would recommend what i am going to look into for myself. look for a center in your area with a good complementary medicine arm. I think there are doctors who are trained conventionally but who have investigated alternative medicine, particularly nutritional medicine. I already know there are plenty around where i live.

that is just my take on this, my preference as a bit of a skeptic. look up naturopath and find threads about people who have gone to holistic doctors.

Comment

demimalti;136515 wrote: On flax seeds...my daughter is a "raw foodist" (just eats raw food)...if you eat them whole they just go right through you so they don't do you much good. You have to break them down in some way either by chewing or chopping...a lot of seeds are that way. Flax seeds are VERY good for you but you DO want to make sure you get their full benefit.
                I do flax.....you can buy a coffee grinder and grind the flax seeds to get the omega 3's to absorb into to your system. Also, great thing about grinding them you can add flax to yogurt and stuff and get it down easier. My fave is to stir some into my soymilk at breakfast or sprinkling on my cereal.

Comment

Working...
                X