Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yogini 108 day AF challenge

Dear Fellow Yoginis or future yoga practitioners,

In yoga philosophy, the number 108 has major significance. As a way of really working to purify my vessel, I committed to the next 108 days being AF. Would be happy to have others join me in this challenge.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Ok, I looked it up to find out what is special about 108 and it turns out to be full of meaning!:
    Singing Heart Yoga: The Meaning of 108

There is one I think you won't get to follow, though:
    8 extra beads: In doing a practice of counting the number of repetitions of the mala, 100 are counted as completed.
    The remaining are said to cover errors or omissions. :H

You can choose this option: The 8 are also said to be an offering to God and Guru.

Comment

I am wearing mala beads these days as a reminder to breathe through any situation. So, my new plan is when I get a thought or craving for wine, I will say to myself "I don't want to drink" 108 times. That should get me past any momentary weakness
      Free at Last

Comment

Well, if you e?nun?ci?ate "I Do Not Want To Drink" very carefully and clearly exactly 108 times in a row, I think you've got a sure-fire way to succeed :H!

Comment

I'm in Free.

Although I've gotta tell you, my wrist mala is 27 beads - a division of 108! Doesn't mean I'll cut my days though

Comment

I will join you. I will start in the am!
            ?A year from now you will wish you had started today.? Karen Lamb

Comment

I am in, Free. I started yoga again after a couple of year off, thanks you you and Skull. I look forward to learning more from you (and the ever researching, ever healthy NoSugar!)

Comment

Very good yoginis, happy to have you all on this journey with me.
                Free at Last

Comment

Hi Free
                  Count me in. This sounds perfect. I have been practicing yoga for many years on and off. Lately i have not been practising. This will get me back to a healthy regular practise and get stupid AL off my back.
                  Thank you Free, this is just what I need.
                  R4L
                  Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Great to see you R4L, I have always smiled over your avatar. Our lives are so much better with yoga in them and even better when AL is not! Look forward to reading about your, and everyone else's progress.

Today's pose for me to focus on -- Garudasana, the Eagle. Seeking balance, strength, confidence, and poise. Garudasana | Eagle Pose

Warmest,
                    Free at Last

Comment

Dear Yoginis,
                      A glimpse of my day.
                      Me to office manager: so the meeting has been changed to tomorrow, yes? Anything else?
                      OM to me: can't you read your email, what am I your secretary too?
                      Me to OM: sure, I can read my email but since I don't have any internet or electricity in my office right now, I'll have to bring my computer down here to log on.
                      OM to Me: Whatever

First thoughts: Would I love one of those glasses of red wine that are poured so freely from the VIP lounge. But, my the idea of invoking my prevention strategy of saying 108 times that "I don't want to drink" seemed too tedious. Instead, made it to the pool and now the desire has passed. Off to the VIP lounge for dinner, seltzer water and lime.

Yoga before I go to bed is definitely in order tonight!
                      Free at Last

Comment

C'mon Free! I want to hear your report about how much fun it is to say that, preferably ALOUD, 108 times :H!

That kind of nasty approach the OM took is so unnecessary. How hard is it for people to just be a little nicer than necessary???

Glad you're not drinking AT her, or the lack of internet and electricity. Enjoy tonight's yoga!

Comment

Hi, Yogini Free!

How do you decide what poses to do for your home practice? I am relatively new and since I don't teach yoga don't necessarily know how to build up to a pose for a simple at home practice (say that Eagle pose).

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Pavati,
                            There are several good, free resources on the web-- Yoga Journal, Kripalu.org (has an downloadable yoga practice) and I think something called GloYoga (or something like that) has videos you can watch. Glad to see you are adding it to your lifestyle choices.
                            Free at Last

Comment

MyHappyPlace, R4Life, Pavati, and Margaret,
                              How is the 108 AF commitment coming along? Any issues?
                              Practiced yoga this evening -- amazing how it calms me down.
                              Now it's time to call it another happy, AF day and night
                              Free at Last

Comment

Working...
                              X