Anyone familiar with EMDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey.

So how much sessions of FEFT did you get? I guess tapping on your onwn later is required too, to clean the garbage from your past.

Take care,
    MB

Originally posted by Senin View Post
    I worked with two of the top FEFT practioners and couldn't get the results I was seeking. I am now investigating EMDR, which seems promising. So far, I have had some positive results (reduction in cravings) by using EMDR on myself. Obviously a true practioner is needed.

Comment

I sent you a message.

Comment

Originally posted by MossRose View Post
        . . . familiar with the newbies nest? Have you thought about posting there? It moves very fast, and can be intimidating at first, . . .
        MossRose,

I find this the problem with the newbie's nest, intimidating. The posts are so fast, the threads get very long very quick and I have a hard time following a single story or conversation.

Although there are some steadfast posters that seem to know and assist everybody, it seems very impersonal.

Just saw this thread and wanted to share my thoughts . . .
        Constant relapsing is soul destroying.
        I cherish my soul, it is the most important thing to me in the world. I cherish my soul even on th bad days. This is why I do not drink.

Comment

I just checked this thread for the first time in a while. Senin - I never got your message. Are you sure you sent it to the correct person? I will send you one now, so you only have to reply.

Roadside - I know the Nest moves quickly, and if you aren't in the right place emotionally, it can be overwhelming. Some people are able to jump right in, while others find it too busy. It's partly a personality thing - extrovert vs. introvert. So I truly understand. Everyone there is very understanding and caring, but if it makes you uncomfortable, I have a bit of advice...start your own journal. A thread dedicated to your recovery. You can post it in Just Starting Out or General, whichever you prefer. I did that in the beginning. I wasn't ready to be a part of a fast-moving community when I was first getting sober. I needed the support, but I was in a weakened state at the time, and needed something a bit more personal. Now I love the Nest, but I have some sober time behind me.

Please, just think about starting an accountability thread and let people support you. Then when you feel stronger, and perhaps more gregarious, you can join in the other threads. Or not. It's ok either way. That's what makes MWO great.

Take care. xx
          Last edited by MossRose; January 1, 2015, 06:47 PM.
          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Roadside - I found your journal. Will respond shortly. Hang in there.

Comment

I decided to quit on January 1st. I am still trying to find an EMDR practioner in my area that specializes in substance abuse. I have been reading lots about it and it seems worth exploring. I have been practicing on myself using the EMDR FSA and Detur Protocols with Isochronic youtube videos that have the light moving back and forth. I realize that is not the best option but it will do until I find a practioner. I only drink at night so I have been substituting alcohol with grapefruit sparkling water or ginger tea. I am increasing my exercise to every day (especially yoga). Big Mind meditation. Some NLP techniques (especially the Compulsion BlowOut and Core Transformation). I have been thinking a lot about liver damage. I been looking at photos of alcoholic livers on the internet and wondering how bad mine is. I feel a sensitivity in my chest and wonder, is that my liver or pancreas? How bad are my organs after decades of drinking? My last component is that I need to get more involved in life, find a passion. Maybe windsurfing, sailing, volleyball, Ayurveda. I need more of a moving toward goal.

That's is for me, for now. It's only day 2. Keeping my fingers crossed.

By the way, should I really be posting this somewhere else in the Forum?

Thanks

Comment

Senin - this is a fine place to post and I'm glad you did. My only concern is that the holistic section is not the most active forum on this site. I don't want you to miss out of some wonderful advice. Maybe you should copy and paste this into the Just Starting Out forum. That's where most newbies (and old "newbies" like me) hang out.

With that said, congratulations on making this commitment. I'm very proud of you. It's tough. But you can do this. I was a decades long drinker too, so I understand. Since you obviously are open to holistic options, are you taking any supplements? It took me almost a year to get my supp regimen down, but it really has helped me. I can't stress enough how much changing my diet (radically) and supplementing with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids has helped me finally kick AL out of my life for good.

Take good care of yourself, friend. Once you get sober, you will feel passionate about many things again. Things that have been blurred by drinking. One day at a time. xx

Comment

Senin, sounds like you're off to a great start!

I'm a therapist who uses EMDR as my primary psychotherapy treatment and I've also personally had EMDR therapy for anxiety, panic, grief, and “small t” trauma. As a client in my opinion, EMDR therapy worked extremely well and also really fast. As an EMDR therapist, and in my role as a facilitator who trains other therapists in EMDR therapy (certified by the EMDR International Association and trained by the EMDR Institute, both of which I strongly recommend in an EMDR therapist) I have used EMDR successfully with panic disorders, PTSD (single trauma and complex/multiple trauma), anxiety, depression, grief, body image, phobias, distressing memories, bad dreams, Dissociative Disorders, addictions, and many other problems. It's a very gentle method with no significant "down-side" so that in the hands of a professional EMDR therapist, there should be no freak-outs or worsening of day-to-day functioning.

One of the initial phases (Phase 2) in EMDR psychotherapy involves preparing for memory processing or desensitization (memory processing or desensitization - phases 3-6 - is often what is referred to as "EMDR" which is actually an 8-phase method of psychotherapy). In this phase resources are "front-loaded" so that you have a "floor" or "container" to help with processing the really hard stuff, as well as creating strategies if you're triggered in everyday life. In Phase 2 you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need.

In phase 2 you learn how to access a “Safe or Calm Place” which you can use at ANY TIME during EMDR processing (or on your own) if it feels scary, or too emotional, too intense. One of the key assets of EMDR is that YOU, the client, are in control NOW, even though you weren’t in the past, during traumatic events. You NEVER need re-live an experience or go into great detail, ever! You NEVER need to go through the entire memory. YOU can decide to keep the lights (or the alternating sounds and/or tactile pulsars, or the waving hand, or any method of bilateral stimulation that feels okay to you and your parts) going, or stop them, whichever helps titrate – measure and adjust the balance or “dose“ of the processing. During EMDR processing there are regular “breaks” and you can control when and how many but the therapist should be stopping the bilateral stimulation every 25-50 passes of the lights to ask you to take a deep breath and say just a bit of what you’re noticing, anything different, any changes. (The stimulation should not be kept on continuously, because there are specific procedures that need to be followed to process the memory). The breaks help keep a “foot in the present” while you’re processing the past. Again, and I can’t say this enough, YOU ARE IN CHARGE so YOU can make the process tolerable. And your therapist should be experienced in the EMDR techniques that help make it the gentlest and safest way to detoxify bad life experiences and build resources.

Grounding exercises are essential. While you're looking for an EMDR therapist, you can also use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro's new book "Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR." Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). The book is an easy read, helps you understand what's "pushing" your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also gives lots of really helpful ways that are used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

Many organizations, professional associations, departments of health of many countries, the US Dept. of Defense, and the VA, all have given their "stamp of approval" to EMDR therapy. There are 35 randomized controlled (and 20 nonrandomized) studies that have been conducted on EMDR therapy in the treatment of trauma. And more excellent research now on the role of eye movements, mechanism of action, and other RCS, not only on trauma and PTSD, but also on the use of EMDR therapy with generalized anxiety disorder, treatment of distressful experiences that fail to meet the criteria for PTSD, dental phobia, depression, body dysmorphic disorder, chronic phantom limb pain, panic disorder with agoraphobia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and peer verbal abuse.

The World Health Organization has published Guidelines for the management of conditions that are specifically related to stress: Trauma-focused CBT and EMDR are the only psychotherapies recommended for children, adolescents and adults with PTSD. “Like CBT with a trauma focus, EMDR aims to reduce subjective distress and strengthen adaptive cognitions related to the traumatic event. Unlike CBT with a trauma focus, EMDR does not involve (a) detailed descriptions of the event, (b) direct challenging of beliefs, (c) extended exposure, or (d) homework." (Geneva, WHO, 2013, p.1)

check out www.emdria.org for practitioners in your area, or let me know where you live/work and I'll find someone for you!!

Comment

Thanks MossRose and drpattijane for the great responses. I really appreciate them.

Great tips. I will copy my post to the newbies. Even though I haven't had any cravings yet, I can use all the help I can get. Please let me know which supplements you use. I am taking a multi-vitamin, omega 3, coQ 10 and milk thistle. I have a few amino acids that I have tried before that didn't seem to do much for me. Though I remember DLPA making me feel good. Maybe I will buy some.

Dr, I will sent you a PM.

Comment

Senin - I think you will find much needed support in the Starting Out section. I look forward to seeing you there. I'll send you a PM with some information about the supps that I take now. I am a firm believer in using every tool to beat this dreadful addiction - therapies, supplements, meditation, exercise, etc. - but I know from experience that reaching out and connecting with others to gather strength and support is the single most important step in winning this battle. I tried to skip that part in the beginning, and it didn't work. The people here are very caring and friendly, so just jump in and post. xx

Dr. Patti - thank you so much for taking the time to post about your personal experiences using EMDR as a client, and a therapist. You have made me more determined to give it a try. I have read the book that you recommended by Dr. Shapiro, and found it fascinating. In fact, it was the reason behind my initial post. I did three years of talk therapy and it got me to a good place where I was able to start healing my life. But I know there is more to be done. I was looking for a quick(er) therapy this time around that would go a bit deeper. Again, thank you for your insightful answer. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                      X