No announcement yet.

Natural supplements for Depression, Anxiety and Alcohol Cravings/Withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking into sups and Phenibut is dangerous from what I am reading. Acts like a benzo, and can cause overdose and also dependence and withdrawal, so be careful, and don't drink on it.

Careful about using St. John's wort, 5htp and Sam-e. Since a high rate of alcoholics have comorbid bipolar disorder (and bipolar II is very often diagnosed as depression), this can be potentially dangerous due to potential to kick one into a manic/hypomanic or mixed state.

Gaba (the sup) is pointless as it does not cross the blood brain barrier.

I have been prescribing gabapentin 600 mg tid to some of my patients and they are doing well with it. Supported in JAMA January 2013 issue that this helps with alcohol craving and withdrawal (N=150, so a pretty good size). I wish I could prescribe it for myself. Note to anyone taking topomax or gabapentin, unless advised by a physician / np, do not suddenly stop these meds as they are anticonvulsants and can potentiate seizure with sudden withdrawal.

Kudzu works great if you actually take it. It doesn't have the immediate affect of alcohol (actually, no affect on my mood) so I tend to forget to take it (conveniently), but when I have taken the morning dose, I find I don't drink as much or even at all.

Didn't get much from L-theanine, but Kava seems to help. Then my crazy mind saw that it can cause liver enzymes to increase, so I went back to drinking alcohol, which of course won't do any damage at all, Right?!

I am going to try lithium orotate, very small dose as in 50 mg day; they sell it online as supplement, which I think is dangerous as lithium can kill the thyroid and kidneys and cause toxicity; I wouldn't recommend anyone take it who is not very aware of the risks, the s/s of toxicity and what labs to tell the primary care to pull. I use lithium carb a lot w/ patients as it is legitimately fda approved, and there is research showing both formulas help with alcohol dependence.

Magnesium is great, but I don't recommend more than 250 mg day due to potential to cause heart arrythmias.

Comment

Hi Cats -It is only my opinion of course, but I think before too long, we will see where lithium is added back as a primary medication for the elimination of alcoholism. After much research, I find lithium to be an absolutely plausible alcohol elimination tool for some.

Originally posted by MeLoveCats View Post
      I started supplementing lithium orotate (30 mg/day) and my desire to drink went away after 25 years of hell. I also started other supplements, but mostly vitamins. I think it's the lithium. I want to hand them out to everyone I'm so excited!

Comment

I too have started lithium orotate.
        Not sure if it is this, my mind set was just ready, or the support of MWO, but something just switched that day and I have no desire.
        I have the odd thought, but it isn't a craving. Just have to change the habbits.

Comment

Some really interesting stuff here thanks
          Watch this video Anyone Can get Sober Video if you think you can't get sober
          :newhere:

Comment

this is very interesting post thanks for sharing this :thumbsup:

Comment

Hi,
              Something I had done before I actually quit was to do a liver cleanse. I actually did it because it included a herbal habit breaking "tonic". I do not think it broke any habits or cravings. But I did notice the liver cleanse. It cleared away the puffiness and I felt better. Others commented how good I looked. I was still drinking at that point.

But I wonder, if it helped prime my system to help me quit when I did. I had a relatively easy quit. I had no withdrawal or aches and pains. Sleep was a bit off for the first month. Cravings have been very minimal. AL thoughts - ya - they are still there.

I was also on Gaba for 2 years due to another issue - and it had absolutely no effect on my drinking. Went off it a few years ago.

Shows how everyone is unique and different paths work differently for everyone.

Comment

Bump - some very useful information - in one spot.

Comment

Dreaming of Better Sleep: 7 Natural Fixes for Insomnia

Saw this article yesterday.. since many folks have trouble with sleep when 1st drying out (myself included), thought this was interesting. The supplements they suggest for sleep highly overlap those for axiety, which is no surprise really as they impact the brain the same way...full article at the bottom

1. MELATONIN is an important hormone secreted by the pineal gland, a small gland in the center of the brain. Melatonin is one of the best aids for sleep. Melatonin supplementation has been found helpful in inducing and maintaining sleep in both children and adults. It appears that the sleep-promoting effects of melatonin are most apparent when a person’s melatonin levels are low. So it’s not like sleeping pills or even 5-HTP–it will only produce a sedative effect when melatonin levels are low. A dosage of 3 mg at bedtime is more than enough. I prefer under-the-tongue (sublingual) tablets.

2. 5-HYDROXYTRYPTOPHAN (5-HTP) is converted in the brain to serotonin–an important initiator of sleep. 5-HTP has also been reported to decrease the time required to get to sleep and to reduce awakenings. Boost 5-HTP’s effects by taking it near bedtime at the recommended dosage of 50 to 100 mg.

3. L-THEANINE, a relaxing amino acid found in green tea, is available as a supplement. L-theanine induces a sense of calm in people with anxiety. At typical dosages (100-200 mg) L-theanine does not act as a sedative, but it does significantly improve sleep quality. That makes it a good supporter of melatonin and 5-HTP. At higher single dosages (400 mg) L-theanine does act as a sedative. I like L-theanine the best for children.

4. GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID (GABA) is a natural calming and antiepileptic agent in the brain. In fact, it is one of the brain’s most important regulators of proper function. It appears that many people with anxiety, insomnia, epilepsy, and other brain disorders do not manufacture sufficient levels of GABA. PharmaGABA is a special form of GABA naturally manufactured with the help of a probiotic (Lactobacillus hilgardii) that has been shown to improve sleep quality.

There are a lot of reasons to try to get a good night sleep without resorting to prescription sleeping pills. These pills are habit forming, have significant side effects, and are associated with increasing the risk of dementia and earlier death. For more information, go to Doctormurray.com and download my free book on Stress, Anxiety, and Insomnia – What the Drug Companies won’t Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn’t Know.

“Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Originally posted by See the Light View Post
                    The brain is a complex muscle and a very sensitive chemically controlled part of us. Alcohol is known to upset these natural balances. I have collected a bunch of different links over the last few months (below is just a sample, I have a Word doc full of them) and have tried most of things here at some point with varying results. I recently ran my current mix of supplements by my doctor, and if you are using or plan to use any of these in any combination you should also consult a physician (as if you were taking medication) as some things depend on your current liver, kidney or other health conditions. Either way, thought it may be helpful to have these in one place…Please add anything you feel valuable or any other comments or experiences for the benefit of others is surely appreciated……

Anxiety and/or Aggression

Magnesium
                    Got anxiety? You may be deficient in magnesium -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

Glycine
                    Health Benefits, Supplements, Side Effects of Glycine

L-Theanine
                    Theanine For Anxiety

L – TRYPTOPHAN
                    L-TRYPTOPHAN: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

5-HTP
                    Can 5-HTP really curb depression and anxiety? - NaturalNews.com

Vitamin B-6
                    Our study suggests that a low level of plasma PLP is associated with symptoms of depression. Randomized trials are now justified and needed in order to examine whether treatment with vitamin B6 may improve symptoms of depression.

Picamilon

Phenibut

GABA

Depression

Vitamin B-12
                    Our alternative medicine page explores holistic approaches to health and wellness, helping you discover new ways to support your overall health and well-being....

Folate (or Folic Acid or Vitamin B-9)

Sam-e
                    Get clinically-studied, premium vitamins and supplements and lab tests from the people who’ve spent 40 years passionately pursuing healthy living.

EPA Omega-3
                    Omega 3s have been studied for their effect on cognitive health for decades. The science linking EPA with this health indication is less well developed than that for DHA, but new results are coming to the fore all the time, experts say.

Magnesium

Creatine
                    Women battling stubborn major depression may have a surprising new ally in their fight -- the muscle-building dietary supplement creatine.

Glycine
                    Health Benefits, Supplements, Side Effects of Glycine

Zinc
                    Zinc deficiency is a surprisingly common but often overlooked factor contributing to depression. When corrected through supplementation, it can have profound positive effects. In some cases, zinc repletion may obviate the need for drug therapy. Ciel Patenaude finds out how zinc influences mood and behavior from integrative psychiatrist James Greenblatt, MD.

Iodine
                    Our mental and behavioral conditions page provides information on mental health conditions and behavioral disorders, including symptoms, causes and treatments. "Mental health and be...

Vitamin B-6
                    Our study suggests that a low level of plasma PLP is associated with symptoms of depression. Randomized trials are now justified and needed in order to examine whether treatment with vitamin B6 may improve symptoms of depression.

St. John’s Wort
                    depression depressed clinical depression major depression unipolar depression depressive disorder blues manic mania bipolar diagnosis anhedonia meloncholia ECT psychotherapy therapy cognitive counseling counselor antidepressant dysthymia cyclothymia prozac paxil zoloft psychology psychiatry psychologist psychiatrist mental health anxiety suicide suicidal blues sad sadness symptoms mood

Alcohol Cravings/ Withdrawal

L-Glutamine

Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
                    Thiamine (vitamin B1) is found in many foods and is used to treat low thiamine, beriberi, certain nerve diseases, and Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome (WKS).

Kudzu extract
                    Alcohol-preferring (P) rats, given free choice to drink water or 15% alcohol, drank 7-10 g of alcohol/kg/day, giving blood alcohol values ranging from 16 to 24 mg/dL. Body weight and food and total fluid intake values in control and alcohol-drinking P rats did not differ significantly, while water i …

Magnesium
                    There is insufficient evidence to determine whether magnesium is beneficial or harmful for the treatment or prevention of alcohol withdrawal syndrome.

Chromium Picolinate
                    http://www.vitaminsource.com/Product...wal%2F~default
                    ..pass it on..

Comment

Thank you, SeeTheLight, its a great source of info.
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Thanks BeachGirly for the post. Where did you get the liver cleanse please?

Comment

Important to understand the effects of this chemical on our brain. Alcohol can be a demon.

Comment

Working...
                          X