No announcement yet.

Simple living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was worried my source was doing something that would get them in trouble "Usually, there is no need to register with any state or federal agency, pasteurize your eggs, or use any special wash on the eggs you sell if

You sell only your own eggs
    You sell your eggs only at your house or by home delivery
    The eggs are fresh and unwashed
    You don’t grade the eggs by size (AA, A or B, etc.)
    You don’t label your eggs as “organic” (which requires special certification)."
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

I read more news than ever now that I have an IPad. I have always been a bit of a news junkie. I have apps for several major dailies from overseas (although I tend to read the UK ones ) as many on-line newspapers are free. We are one of the first countries in the world to start the new day plus I get up fairly early so this is one of my treats. Even better now that I don't have any hangovers.

Comment

TT- I do the same, read the Guardian, independent, The Press and The Daily Mail for the goss! I love it!

Comment

Well, then, I'll have to check with some of the independent sellers here and see if they have some unwashed ones "in the back " - thanks for the information!

Comment

Thanks SL and NS for the discussion on unwashed vs. washed eggs. I just spent some time researching, and am intrigued. I had no idea that it's actually illegal to sanitize eggs in some countries.

I met a seller at the farmer's market last year, who is originally from Italy, and he told me that his eggs didn't need to be refrigerated. He had them in a cooler because it's the law, but he assured me that they were very safe and could sit on the counter without a problem. They must have been unwashed, but he didn't mention that fact. I bought some, and they were very good. But I've been brainwashed and they went into the fridge as soon as I got home. Now, I'm with NS - time to locate a local supplier of unwashed eggs. Sounds like the way to go.

Thank you.
            Last edited by MossRose; March 14, 2015, 04:56 PM.
            Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

There is nothing better than a basket of fresh farm eggs on the kitchen side! There are interesting articles comparing USA vs UK eggs!

I am interested in attracting butterflies - especially the monarchs that migrate through this area but are disappearing due to lack of milkweed - has anyone grown milkweed - any words of advice before I head to the nursery to look tomorrow. I just love the folk lore around butterflies and especially the Mexican stories about the monarchs..

Comment

Milkweed grows wild all around here. I didn't even know you could buy it. SL, you could always come see me and we could dig some up for you to transplant!
                Last edited by Ginger999; March 14, 2015, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Hi all,
                  Why don't unwashed eggs have to be refrigerated?
                  I buy local eggs that still have stuff on them.. I wash them and put them straight in the fridge... Is that wrong??

Love this thread!
                  Pat

Comment

SL - My friend gave me a bunch of milkweed seed pods last year. Since I have to grow everything in pots now, I'm curious how they will do. I'm also going to grow butterfly weed. I used to grow both at my old house, and it did seem to attract the monarchs. Of course, it had room to spread there. Trying to contain milkweed might be a bit of a challenge. I'm also going to do my part for the bees. They both need our help. There's a discussion about this going on in the Green Thumbs Gardening thread too. Have you visited there? It's fun. Rags started it and I've learned a bit about gardening around the world. Same joys and issues, just different plants. Very cool.

Comment

Pat - here is one article, but there are many. Don't wash your eggs until you need them, and they don't need to be refrigerated if they keep the protective coating on!
                      Moss - will have to check it out - I am all for trying to help the bees too - it is scary that they are dying off in such a fashion. I have a great area for a garden, but it needs so much work, and the sprinkler system is a mess - I have most of my herbs etc in containers to try to keep them alive until i can afford to redo the garden...it could be incredible if i had the funds (or the time and knowledge!)

Comment

SL - I'm curious about your garden space. Is it just overgrown, or is there more clean-up needed? Maybe we can brainstorm some easy ways to transform your space. I see you are in California, so I assume you are dealing with drought conditions. That definitely makes things a bit more difficult. But there are some very creative folks here, so maybe we can work together to get you gardening again.

I'm passionate about the bee situation. I have been growing gardens for them for years. Alas, I have noticed less and less bees each year. But hope springs eternal - I am going to try even harder this year. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Thank you Mossy - I need more hours in teh day! Not sure you can help me tehre.
                          I need some structrual work - there is a concrete pool structure that the previous owners built many moons ago that does not work - it has huge waterfalls etc and would be amazing, but it needs a professional and some $$$'s. I also need the concrete ripped up and redone as it is old and cracked. I need a new sprinkler system - once I get all that done, then I could have so much fun.
                          My parents live in England and my mother has an amazing English garden - I want bees, butterflies, birds, flowers to cut and some herbs and veggies - so know what I want once I get it ready...
                          I want to move in about 4 years, so my biggest dilemma is how much time and money do I put into this and hope to get back in resale, or do I just save money for the next house.....decisions, decisions!
                          And yes, drought - but that can make it fun, a drought tolerant garden can be lovely....

My natural calm came today - any tips on using it???

Comment

Wow SL - it sounds like the gardens were probably amazing at one time. But I understand your hesitation about putting a ton of money into it now if you plan on moving in the next few years. Like you mentioned, there's always container gardening in the meantime I take my magnesium at night in a bit of water right before I go to bed. The first night, I thought it was a good idea to start with the maximum dose and that was a big mistake. It can cause some stomach upset. So I cut back to a 1/4 tsp for a few days, and then moved up to 1/2 tsp, and that seems to be a good dose for me. I suppose everyone is different. But it has definitely helped me sleep. And best of all - no more middle of the night leg/foot cramps.

Today, I spent the day experimenting with DIY make-up (sorry guys - this is a girly post). I wanted to mimic mineral powder, so I used a combination of different veggie powders and spices to come up with the right shade. So far, I haven't quite hit it. I'm using turmeric, ginger, and cocoa powder, in a base of arrowroot. I also picked up some beetroot powder for bronzer/blush. I have seen recipes all over the Internet, and became intrigued. Cosmetics are expensive and full of chemicals. The organic ones are outrageously priced, so I figured I would try to make my own. I already make all my skin care products, but I'm a novice at homemade make-up. Anyone have any advice? I would love to hear some success stories.

Simplify.

Comment

Moss, that's a pretty good idea with "homemade" natural makeup! I had a good chuckle as I thought of a permanent marker for eyeliner lol! I can already see Bubba searching through my toolbox picking out my fine tipped Jiffy markers!

But it also reminded me of underarm deodorant, both Bubba and I have switched from the commercial types to the "natural rock" type available at health food stores, and now some drug stores are carrying them. I was a bit concerned with the aluminum chloride used in the commercial types and it's link to dementia, so we both switched.
                              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Cowboy - Bubba would have a very sultry look if she finds your markers. Best to put them somewhere safe. LOL.

I quit using commercial antiperspirant and/or commercial deodorants about a decade ago. I too was worried about the link to dementia. I know it's only anecdotal, but I also quit using them because I read a few scary articles that said they may be contributing to the soaring breast cancer rates. If you think about, it makes sense. Putting toxic chemicals on sensitive areas so close to the breast. Anyway, so far, no one is avoiding me, or they are just very polite. Either way, I'm good with it.

Hope all is well in your world. Snow storm here today. C'mon spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X