Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here!

:new: Hi everyone.....

I am a newbie, kind of. I have been lurking for about a week now My story is this.......

I am 30 something, when I was in my 20's, I would go out with my friends several days a week, drinking, having a good time. Even then I never got all out drunk- for some reason I could down 6 or 7 drinks, and by the end of the evening, I was sober and usually the designated driver.

The older I have gotten....not so much so! I am now married, and my hub travels alot for work. In this past year, my drinking has gotten out of control (to me).

Signs I know things are out of hand:
    1- in this past year, prob 5 out of 7 days, I could easily drink a whole bottle of wine alone. 2- having more than 2 drinks alone, pretty regularly
    3- when hubby asks if I have been drinking, I lie and say no, when I know he knows the truth.

In the back of my mind, I knew there was a problem. What made me stare the problem in the face, is my husband confronting me about it. He flat out asked me, "do you have a drinking problem?"

Anyhow. So this brings me here. Although this is my first post, I have already put some steps in place to put myself back on track. My first course of action is moderation. I really do not think I am alcohol dependent, but I do abuse alcohol. If moderation does not work, I will go to abstinence.

Like someone said in another post, my eureka! has been to not drink alone, and to only drink on the weekend. In the past week this has worked for me. I realized that the root of my drinking alone was "something to do", not necessarily a big craving for liquor/wine.

All last week, I was able to restrain without much difficulty- thinking about the embarrasement of my husband confronting me, was reason enough to not drink anything. This past week, same thing- was able to restrain without too much thought. Last night hubby and I went out to eat, and we both had 1 beer.

A few days back I bought some Kudzu from Vitamin Shoppe, and it does seem to help as well with a random craving. I really bought it for times out with girlfriends, where I may be tempted to have more than 2 or 3 glasses of wine.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello, glad to have found this site. :thanks:

New here!

Hi Angie, a huge :welcome: to MWO .....

You have recognised this before you are dependant which is excellent. Have you downloaded RJ's book?? It is ecxellent .....

Keep reading and posting and I'm sure that you will find all the support here that you need ....

Love & Hugs, :h :l :h
    sigpicXXX

Comment

New here!

a big welcome to you and thank you for sharing yourself. always takes courage to share about your story. i've been here quite sometime and have still not done it. so bravo girl. now run to get the book and the supplements as that is the program. we are just the appetizer.
      :welcome:

Comment

New here!

Hi Angie

Welcome and congratulations on restraining yourself last week.:goodjob:

I do hope you are able to continue moderating without slip ups.

I was just curious if you admitted to your husband there may be a problem? (Sorry If that seems nosy, I am just interested how others deal with their Significant Others compared to me)

Comment

New here!

Hi Angie,

:welcome:

You are really nipping this in the bud early. Good for you. :goodjob:

If you haven't read RJ's book yet, you might want to. It is good and really written for people looking to moderate.

I am sure if you have been reading the threads, you will note only a few really lucky people are able to do that. (I am jealous of them all!!)

However, it sounds very likely you will be able to. If not, then you can look at abstinence.

Glad you are here and taking care of yourself before things start to deteriorate.

Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

New here!

:welcome: Hi Angie..
            As everyones says...the book is a great place to start this program.
            You will find alot of support here.
            RJ does reccomend a 30 day abs clearing.......
            Nancy "Belle"
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

New here!

Hi Angie and welcome.
              Sounds like you`re managing to nip your drinking in the bud before it takes over.
              I wish you success with moderating.

Wishing you love and strength,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

New here!

Hi Angie...welcome. I think drinking alone is a problem for lots of us.....boredom, anxiety, suppressing feelings - lots of reasons. And, of course, when you're alone there's no-one to say Hey....is that a good idea? Apart from other trouble it can get you into, all that alcohol is dangerous to your health......like most of us, you're drinking way over the guidelines for 'safe' drinking for women and putting yourself in the way of serious illnesses. This was one of the fears that finally made me address the problem....and I'm so glad I found this place. I hope it will help you too......there is a lot of help and wisdom and kindness here......

:goodjob: that you're addressing the problem before it gets too bad.

Suze
                Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

New here!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I am glad to have found such a supportive group.

marbella- in regard to what I said to my husband.....when he asked me if I had a drinking problem- I said "No, I dont think I have a problem, but I admit that I probably drink more than I need to." And the conversation went on from there. He is really supportive in that he will do whatever it takes to help me.

I told him that I honestly thought I could cut back, and that I will no longer drink alone. His response was that there is nothing wrong with drinking alone, like having a glass of wine with dinner, or having a cocktail after a long day, as long as its one or two. My right mind knows this- but FOR MYSELF, until I know with certainty that things are under control, I will not be having any alcohol alone.

Because I agree, especially sitting and watching a movie, etc. One glass of wine turns into 5. During this moderation period, I am sticking to beer purposely- even if I want to, I can't drink more than 2 beers without feeling ridiculously full.

Comment

New here!

That sounds like a good plan. wouldn't work for me because I am a beer girl, 10 beers a night was quite do-able for me.

Your husband sounds very understanding- my boyfriend didn't have a clue what he was dealing with and even now seems to think giving up alcohol is like giving up cake.

I wish you the very best of luck, it does sound like you have had a red warning light quite early on

Comment

Working...
                    X