Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

I don't want to drink anymore. I am a 51 year old female who feels so sad and sick. I had a drink this morning so that I might feel better, it didn't work. I missed work yesterday due to drinking. I need help so badly and I wish I had a month of not drinking under my belt. I just joined today and I'm not sure how this works, any advise is so welcomed.

Help

Hello and :welcome:

A good place to start is by downloading the book.

If you click on the store link at the top of the page, there is a link there to download it, I think it costs about $13.

In the book RJ describes how she was able to kick her drinking habit by using a mix of supplements and meds.

The meds do not agree with me, but the supplements do help- it still takes effort on our part, but we need all the help we can get.

I am new here and have only been AF (alcohol free) for 4 days, some off the older members will be able to help you more.

Comment

Help

Hi T.Ahern and :welcome:

All of us reached a point where you are right now which brought us to this site. I guess most of us started our journey by reading the 'My Way Out' book and then making a plan and sticking to it. Whether you're aiming for a totally alcohol-free life or whether you're looking at cutting down drastically, Roberta Jewell's programme can be tweaked to suit each individual.

Keep reading the posts - you will find so many stories with which you can identify. You will also be inspired by people who have said good-bye to the booze. Most importantly of all, you will realise you're not alone.

I think you're just taken a very important step - one which can save your sanity and maybe even your life. We look forward to seeing you around.

Comment

Help

I dont think I am the best for advise but I felt just like you did this Monday morning and just decided to try to stop. I am 45 and have been drinking every day for 20 years. I have not had a drink in 3 days and am trying for 4. It has not been as hard as I thought although the craving is there. I bought some herbal sleep aid and that helped, also tried made every effort to occupy myself between when I got home and dinner, and after the kids went to bed, which are my problem times. All I can say is I dont feel as bad as I did Monday and I know I can stop for 3 days. I will take it a day at a time.

Comment

Help

Welcome! You have made a very important first step.
          Read, post, follow the program.
          You can do this!

Dx
          * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Help

I liked what tawnyfrog said "Whether you're aiming for a totally alcohol-free life or whether you're looking at cutting down drastically....." Its too early to tell for myself but I do know the primary thing I am aiming for is to see my kids grow up.

Comment

Help

Thanks very much. I am going to be spending a lot of time on this site.

Comment

Help

Hi T.Ahern and welcome.
                Sorry you`re feeling so down.
                It`s not so very long ago that I wished just as you are now. It took me a while to realize that wishing alone wouldn`t get me anywhere.........you have to "make it happen" for yourself. That`s the hard part.........the easy part is knowing that you yourself have the power to turn your wish into your reality, just as I and so many others here have done.

You CAN do this........we`re here to give you all the help you ask for, every step of the way.

Wishing you love and strength for your journey,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Help

T. Ahern, welcome. Like you I am a female in my early 50's who felt so sad and sick. Every morning I would get up and promise myself I wouldn't drink that day. I work full time so I was able to contain my drinking until late evening on Monday thru Friday but come the weekend I watched the clock until it reached around 4:00 pm and then I could say it was cocktail hour and fix my first drink of many. I was drastically looking for a life line when I found this site. I have been on this site everynight since and haven't had a drink in 4 days. Four days isn't much but it is so much better than 4 days with bloodshot eyes, headache, and trying to convince everyone I work with that "my allergies were acting up". There are a couple of threads in the "just starting out' forum about going alcohol free for the month of October or for this next week. Please see about joining one of those. I did and the support and encouragement from the other posters is so helpful. It is a very non-judgemental and caring environment. I don't have a lot of sobriety under my belt but I do feel as if I understand exactly how you are feeling. Please take care and keep in touch.

Comment

Help

Welcome to MWO! Start by downloading the book and reading to understand the program. I recommend ordering the Starter Pack from the health store on this site. It has all the vitamins and supps you need to help make it easier. The kudzu and l-glut really helped me with the cravings.
                    If you want to really quit drinking and change your life you have to make a committment to yourself. You have to have the attitude that failure is not an option. There are a lot of great people here who have been where you are right now. We understand. We are now living an Alcohol Free (AF) life and can help you do the same. Keep reading and posting and don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.
                    I was a heavy drinker for 30 years and this place changed my life. I'm now on day 55 AF and couldn't be happier. You can do the same thing. Again, Welcome. Check out the chat room.

Don

Comment

Help

Hi T.A. - and :welcome:

Just wanted to say what the others have said - you CAN do this - but you have to WANT it badly enough to put the effort in.

The first few days (3-4) are definitely the toughest then it gets easier - But - It IS possible.
                      I had been drinking to huge excess daily for twenty plus years when I arrived here - and I currently have 79 days alcohol free under my belt.

I am certainly not unique - there are loads of great folk here who have turned their lives around simply by getting involved here- taking what works for them and going for it!

if I can do it - you can too

Jump in - you have already taken one of the biggest steps by coming here and telliing us that you want to sort out your life.
                      I just want to say that when I first arrived here I was scared of living without my old friend alcohol - now I LOVE being alcohol free - I never want to go back to where I was - I have got my life back - you can too!

Gonegator - you have probably already done the hardest bit - the first few days - congratulations - and welcome too!

look forward to having you both around

Love

Satori

xxx
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Help

T. Ahern, You can do this! Try to go one day without drinking. Keep yourself busy. Drink lots of water and juices. After going alcohol free for the one day, try to go for day two. The key is too keep busy. Talk to someone who you trust and will support you. Buy the MWO book, read the posts on this site and chat with the others. The more time you go alcohol free, the easier it becomes. It takes strength to overcome the cravings, but you can do it. I wasn't a success overnight. In the past I made it alcohol free for 4 days, then 28, then 42 and finally 99 (today). Could I go on like this forever? I don't know... All I do is take one day at a time. I shudder when I think of the things I have done when I was intoxicated. I also shudder when I think about all those hungover mornings, whether they be on work days and weekends. I was missing out on Life because I was either drunk and forgetful or sick and shakey. You can do it.
                        September 23, 2011

Comment

Help

Welcome TA: There is a great newbie thread "Newbies in Need ODAT." ODAT stands for one day at a time. That's how many of us newbies are tackling our problem drinking. "Just for today, I will not drink." Sometimes a whole lifetime of abstinence seems too daunting to think about. Try to stay sober just for today. I'm right w/you. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Help

Hey Satori,
                            I didn't realize there we more postings since I first started. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It's been a tourgh few days but I'm getting there ODAT!!! I just started Topamax 25mg last night and I am fuzzy but hopeful. I don't want to drink or eat. I'm sure glad I have you guys in my life now. Thank you every so much!
                            Theresa

Comment

Help

Hi Reenie,

God bless you! Congratualations, I am going to join you, I promise (I hope).

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X