Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies - Please know you are Welcome!!

BeachMusic,

Yes you can PM people without being a subscriber. Just go up to the upper left hand corner where it says "Welcome, Beachmusic.."

Under that is a link for Private Messages.

You can PM once you get in there. LHS Send new message.

Subscriber gives you access to the Subscriber Forum and some other things.

I finally subscribed and am happy I did. It helps with the costs of running the website and is very inexpensive in the long run.

However, if you do not have the money for it, do not feel like you have to join. There is a lot you can do without joining.

(I do like the subscriber chat, though...)

Hope this helps!!

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks Cindi, I think I will join. Maybe I will even jump in and chat soon! This site is helping me so much. Just ran to the grocery and walked right by the wine section. Having my afternoon MWO fix helped with that. Stressful times still trigger, trigger, trigger! but I am working on ways to overcome the desire to medicate with the poison.

Comment

Chat can be a lot of fun Beach. Hope you will join us sometime! Helps to keep the hands too busy to drink as well....
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Cindi, thanks so much for posting this,

Does this mean that i'm an 'oldie' ??????? LOL

Newbies you are all really really welcome,

As Irish would say 'jump in'

Love ya Cindi ..........
          sigpicXXX

Comment

BB,

You have 4000+ posts. Don't you think that might make you an "oldie?"

Nothing to do with real chronological age, though.

More than enough of us a lot really older than you here.

Thanks for your kind words,

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi, yes I agree that im an oldie ...........

But I wholeheartedly welcome any newbies that are lurking ............

Please please post, we are here for you ...........
              sigpicXXX

Comment

I have been here for a few weeks and have posted a few times but as I havent managed on AF day yet feel like an imposter!! However, I have felt VERY welcome, havent read the post that was referred to but hope that no-one feels alone or without support.

Comment

Hi,
                  Another newbie here, and doing well....but its so hard, this site has already helped me...knowing that others are going through just what i am going through.
                  Love to you all
                  Torie

Comment

Torie,

Yes, not drinking is HARD. No way around it.

But, we can and will do this.

Read the book and read the posts. So much wisdom on this site.

Take care and :welcome:

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

NewJen,

Nope. You are not an imposter!!

Lots of us started out and had a hard time getting AF. Just keep trying. Eventually, your mind will get ready for the go.

It took me a few MONTHS!!

Glad you are here.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks for posting this Cindi. I have not read the thread and just wanted to say :welcome:

I know its daunting in the beginning, there are so many threads and the people all seem to know each other. However, the best way to become involved is to join in. Try a few different threads depending on what you are going for. The site is constantly evolving. I joined the 30 Day Booze Busters originally, then started the ODAT one running in Newbies. I also post over in Abstinance. Some days its really busy and I just get a quick check in, other days I read and read and answer. The key is to become involved, there are some great people on the site.

Rustop

Comment

thanks cindi,
                          great encouraging thread,
                          i've had a problem with alcohol ever since i started drinking aged 13yrs, i ended up in hospital and nearly died from alcohol posioning at 14. i'm 37 now, the longest i have ever gone without a drink in all those yrs has been when pregnant and breastfeeding and even then i'm ashamed to say i had the occasional guiness. i've been consciously trying to control my drinking for the past 6/7yrs...........not really sure what i'm trying to say, i'm very confused about a hell of a lot right now.
                          what i do want to say to anyone is PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN to your gut instincts about how bad your problem is, my gut instincts were there nagging me in my teens and twenties but i ignored them. i've caused my brain and nervous system a lot of damage. my memory is mush and my muscles have involuntary twitches.

i'm 11days af, my longest in 6 yrs, it's really really hard and i spend a lot of time living with what if's, cravings are a nightmare but i am starting to see a faint bit of light at the end of the tunnel if you know what i mean. which is really really good for me and i'm going to try my dam hardest to keep moving towards it and stop looking back.

newjen and anybody else please don't feel like an imposter please never give up trying to reach your goals, those af days will come.

when i get a bit more selfesteem i'm gonna go in chat, i feel a bit inferior at the mo
                          AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                          There's fire in your eyes,
                          Bite me, excite me,
                          I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                          Brings eternal flame.
                          Open me to heaven,
                          To heal me again.

Comment

Oh, Want. I can tell you are really struggling. I am sorry. I do, too. I know how hard this is. We do have to Want it, don't we, to get through some of the rough patches.

I, too, am starting to get through some of the hard times quicker. I just take deep breaths and paste a smile on my face. For some silly reason, whenever I make myself smile, it seems to lessen the cravings.

Never feel inferior in anyway. All of us are pretty much the same here.

Jump into chat anytime you feel you need company. Some of my chats have had me laughing so hard I forget to feel bad.

Take care, Want, and keep strong. You are doing great!!

We are both on the same number of days, aren't we? How cool is that!!

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

thanks cindi, i am struggling but i am also more determined than i have been in a long time. i was thinking i was at day 11 today but it's day 12 :happy:
                              are you day 12 too?
                              hope your feeling better
                              :thanks: again for the encouragement cindi, lets keep on keepin on :l your doing great too

want
                              xxxx
                              AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                              There's fire in your eyes,
                              Bite me, excite me,
                              I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                              Brings eternal flame.
                              Open me to heaven,
                              To heal me again.

Comment