Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting out

Hi Everyone

I am going to try to go for a month without drinking or only drink one night a week, like Saturday or Friday so I can still have some social life. I think one night a week is easier for me. I have noticed when I try to quit completely I want alcohol more, like the forbidden fruit but if I say to myself I can drink anytime often I don't want to. I tried AA too and I totally understand what Kanga posted about all the stories just bringing you down, it made me nervous and I felt like I needed a drink just to go to the meetings. It wasn't for me.

I don't drink everyday and couldn't as alcohol makes me too ill. I just drink generally twice a week but it's a real binge and I can't function at all the next day. I have isolated myself and feel very ashamed. My mother is an alcoholic and I don't want to turn out like that. Anyway looking forward to this week not drinking at all. Is it best to log in and read everyday? Are there any tips for this?

Starting out

welcome Shelly

Hi Shelly, binge drinking is the start then the binges become more and more frequent. Rather than aim for a month why not try one day at a time, a month is a big ask to start with. Am new here to and I find reading the postings everyday helps a lot. This is a nice place to be and we are all here for similar reasons. I was Kanga but changed my sign in name out of respect for others. Went to 4 AA meetings in total and came away traumatised. No disrespect to AA as it has helped millions and millions of people but it?s not for everyone. So stick around this site you will find the help you need.
    :welcome:

Comment

Starting out

welcome Shelly! I am just starting out, like you. I, unfortunately, am a daily drinker, but I pretty much am always functional the next day, although often feeling like crap ... Maybe that has made it worse, allowed me to keep doing this self-destructive stuff. I still haven't gone AF (alchohol free) but I think with the support here I am going to try it this week.

Yes, log in and read every day, it is SO helpful. Until I found this site just days ago, I had no idea there were so many people like me with this secret problem !! Yes, and I also have been feeling so much shame for so long. so a godsend to find a place where I can get feedback from others with the same problem!!!!
      :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Starting out

hi shelly,
        what your saying is cent percent right.in my case also same thing happens to me ,when i decide not to drink i get more carvings and i drink more, secondly whenever i decide not to drink for weeks or so, on the first day of starting some problem either at home or in the office will come up and then you get disturbed and go for drinks there for it is advaisable to plan for one day at a time particulary for the people who are just starting out.
        goodluck and thanks

Comment

Starting out

Hi guys

Well today I am absolutely sure I won't drink. I don't want to, that is the most important thing. I want to get my life on track and be happy. I am trying to stay positive because it is whenever I get down or negative about things that I reach for a drink.

AA is great for some people and I met some really nice and supportive people there. However I came away from meetings having learnt extra tricks on how the professionals used to drink, things I hadn't even thought of. Also the stories of peoples horrible experiences used to go round and round in my head and I couldn't get them out. It was stressing me out and I felt I had all their problems too. Although the warm feeling of support in AA is great.

Your advice is very good. I will just try to go through this week, one day at a time being happy not to drink. It's like we all have our own lovely little secret, we are not going to drink and it's a fantastic thing we are doing for ourselves and others around us. One day at a time is the best way to look at it. Also food at regular intervals to bring down sugar cravings, I tend to bingen if I haven't eaten, I don't know if any of you have noticed that aswell.

Comment

Starting out

Welcome, Shelly, Dilip,Dexter, and Victory,
            I agree take one day at a time, one hour if necessary. Log in as often as you wish, certainly
            log in if you feel like a drink. I also tried AA and found it very supportive, but I wasn't happy
            going to meetings, but do whatever it takes to get well.
            Best wishes Paula.

Comment

Starting out

Shelly;226333 wrote: Hi guys
              Also food at regular intervals to bring down sugar cravings, I tend to bingen if I haven't eaten, I don't know if any of you have noticed that aswell.
              Shelly,

Yes, I do the same thing quite frequently. If I eat before drinking I often either will not drink or will have one beer. If I don't eat prior to drinking I binge.

In fact, in my situation...I would say eating is the single most critical thing for me and moderation.

-Swami

Comment

Starting out

Hey shelly, i agree with you on the goal to still drink on say a friday or saturday night. it hasnt worked to well when ive attempted it though. theres always someone calling me up on a thurs and sayin, "hey lets go out for a bit" .. but if ur the kinda gal that has willpower and can say NO im going out this weekend, good for you girl. i also made half assed attempts. if i REALLy put my mind to it, i probably could do it. right now im takin a month off with antabuse. this is the first time in about four years or more that ive gone more than two weeks without a drink.

Comment

Starting out

me145.......how is the antabuse working for you? I got it today also. i am also a little over 2 weeks a/f and very nervous about it. Longest time without drinking in forever but i do feel really good and want to keep it up. really wondering if the antabuse has any side effects and does it help any cravings at all?????????

Comment

Starting out

Hi Shelley

I was drinking every day before I found MWO and would love to be able to Moderate. Have done 17 AF days so far but it is early days yet. I really really couln't ever think about going to an AA meeting and have to stand up in front of all of those people. The meer thought terrifies me. I think you were very brave walking into the lions den. I think MWO is a far better way of dealing with our demons because it is daily/hourly support 24/7 that you get in the home which has got to be good.

Drinking at the weekends sounds a good plan but the advice I have gleaned from the threads is that a 30 day Af period is good to start with and then moderate after that. Not got there yet so can't advise on how true that is

Anyway all the best in your quest for moderation

:l Sweetpea x
                    :flower: Keep strong and focused things do get better and you will find your happy :h

Comment

Starting out

AF 7 days

:new: Last January I went 20+ days AF then someone said "you're more fun when you drink" and that was all I needed. I have been drinking almost every day for 5 years with the exception of January and a couple of "off" days here and there. Today is day 7 AF - I started Campral 3 days ago - we'll see. I have good support at home - no judgment from my husband and he does not drink, so that makes it easier. So, any advice?
                      :award:

None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

Comment

Starting out

Just starting off myself. been drinking every other day. sort of like drink/recover and then drink/recover. I have realized drinking is like Lay's potato chips for me. I can't drink just one. The more I drink the more I drink. got off work at 7:30 at the restaurant and everyone asked me if I was staying for "one". I am too embarrassed to say I can't handle just one, so I make up an excuse why I have to get home. Nice having a place to express.
                        PEACE. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of these things and still be calm in you heart. unknown.

Comment

Starting out

well handled the both of you nugs and pawn!!!! i am a newbie myself and have found this site very supportive. 10 days af and made it threw t-day phew!!! All I can say being new is be aware of your cues to drink, those things that seem to make you want to drink are the toughest to get over i find. best way I have found to handle them is do anything to avoid them or take your mind off the cues to drink!!! telling friends you have to go was a perfect example of how to avoid the pitfalls off the beast we all deal with!!! if you can not find something to occupy yourself come to MWO and post or chat live someone is always on and there is always something to read, before you know it the urge to drink will be gone. try the l-glut 9picked mine up at the health food store)it seemed to help me and drink water by the gallon to flush that system (no exageration) hope this helps and feel free to reach out to me or anyone here good luck you can do it take it slow one day at a time!!!

Cheech 66

Comment

Starting out

Great job Cheech!
                            Marcie

Comment

Starting out

Hi Shelly and welcome. Tips - log in as often as you can! Read as much as you can - it is all really interesting, supportive and motivating stuff. And really try to do the 30 days. I have been here a month now, still having a couple of teething problems (!) but have had more days without alcohol than with it, which is a huge improvement on how I was before. I really do think that the longer you go without the less you will crave so I am working hard on heading for the 30 days. I am taking the supplements which seem to help me but others don't need them or use other things. Take what you can from the forum and use it to help yourself. Sure you can do it.

Bessie. xx

Comment

Working...
                              X