Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need ODAT - Friday

Good morning everyone

Great to see so much optimism there yesterday. So many of us have so much in common. I too was in control of so many aspects of my life. Have a great husband, home, kids, friends. Exercised, watched my weight. As Mary said yesterday the one area I had no control over was alcohol. Since joining MWO and getting so much AF time under my belt I find that I am breaking the vicious circle and becomming more in control. The first time I tried for 30 Days it was so, so hard, now I am totally optimistic as I know I did it before and I can do it again. YOU CAN DO IT TOO.

Rustop

Great thread you started yesterday Rustop. Not supposed to get online at work, but couldn't helping checking it out. Yesterday was the hardest Day 1 AF. Not, ODAT, not OHAT, but more like one minute at a time. Kept thinking about the bottle of white chilling in the fridge.

But you guys are so inspirational and I kept thinking about the positive changes that Mary and the rest of you are experiencing.

Came home (freezing cold outside), got into bed to watch the wacky world of US politics, took away all desire to have a drink!

Also listened to a guided imagery cd that had some great affirmations. Will have to bring it to work and try to transcribe and post, one of them said that the farther you can get away from beating yourself up, the closer you get to healing.

Rustop, thanks for starting my day on a positive note. Your optimism is infectious.
    Mary, thanks for your inspiration.
    Cindi, keeping you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers.
    Miss October, thanks for your support.

Maybe the more AF days I have under my belt, I'll be able to remember more names!

Happy Friday to all who come here today!

Comment

Why the hell is this so hard...how could I have turned into such a problem drinker over such a few short years...oh, yeah, my gene pool is a toxic wast dump, and I've had a few pretty rough years...well, enough of that Chardonnay nonsense!

Back on the Topamax (up to 125 - now trying 100 in AM, 25 in late afternoon, then a cup of tea), AllOne in some orange juice, plenty of healthy liquids. Yesterday was a day off work for me, and was a bit of a fight to stay AF, but I did it, and slept like a rock last night, too, which was wonderful!

The only person who knows of my struggle is one of my doctors (I get the Topa from River Pharmacy, not her) who I trusted enough to talk to about this. She's a proponent of moderation, was totally non-judgmental, and really supportive.

Seeing old alcoholics in my job is a constant reminder of where this disease takes us if we don't stop, so I know I've got to nip this in the bud early, before it takes over.

Have a great day everyone - I'm so glad you're here! I really appreciate the boards.

Comment

Day 5

On to day 5. Happily days 3 and 4 have just gotten easier from the first two for me - I've been so lucky. Fridays are always the "dinner and margaritas" night for us so that will be a challenge but I'm up to it. ODAT!!!

Good luck to all of us!

Comment

Hey Good Morning Everyone. I am on day 4 today, and using drink tracker. Rustop, I am working on my first 30 days and feel really positive about it now. It's like my head is at a different place (Finally!) where it is totally inspired and determined to do it and succeed.

Everyone is doing so well, let's keep supporting each other. :h
          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Hello everyone,
            My goal today is to put a big fat zero in the drink tracker. Everything else will fall into place.
            Your pal,
            Fby
            Life will be great in 2008
            eace:
            xox
            Fby

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
            - Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Hello all, Working on day 2 today feeling so much better than yesterday. Lots of work to catch up on see you tomorrow rudemama

Comment

Morning everyone
                Good to hear everyone hanging in there...whatever it takes, by the minute, by the hour, by the day, you will find the payoff so worth it....just waking up in the morning without a hangover is worth the price of admission!!!!
                I was very angry at the start of this journey because I could not imagine my life without alcohol. As time passed and I felt stronger both physically and mentally I decided in my mind that this was not a death sentence (although it would of been if I continued), but a choice I was making...a positive choice for me....I have taken the power away from this demon and I am in control.....I am making the choice not to drink today..
                sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Hi ODATers: I'm doing well...dealing w/life. There is alot in my life...responsibilities, people, & relationships of all types. I love everyone & everything, but sometimes I get overwhelmed. At times like that, I realize why I drank. The trick for me is to take some time for myself (wo/alcohol), & decompress. That's not easy for a long-time overachiever to do. However, w/sobriety, I'm learning how. Love, Mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Good morning all. Thanks for being here. Today is day 12, and I would not be here without you!!!
                    Goal 1: Today
                    Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Hi everyone...day 4 AF for me also, and the sleep last night was wonderful!
                      I'm working hard to make sure I have something to do at night...some shows to watch on TV, a good book right beside my bed, and some ice cream in the freezer..lol. I, too, tend to turn to alcohol when I feel overwhelmed, BUT....I'm always MORE overwhelmed when facing things and dealing with alcohol, too. I keep trying to remember that. Keep going everyone!

Comment

Luckalee: You through the hardest part (days 1 - 7). Keep it up. Your life will change for the better...definitely! Mary
                        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Good Morning Everyone,

Rustop, thanks again for starting this great thread. Great job on your AF days !

But, Oh Boy, It's Friday.....license to drink......please someone take away my weekend drinking license. Getting back to serious, I'm looking for some support for tonight, because when I get home there is a trigger just waiting for me: :rockband: Yes, my teenage son's rock band. They have a big "Gig" coming up on Sunday (Battle of the Bands - Put on by New Jersey Shows) so they will be practicing from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm (prime drinking time). You have to realize I have no basement, they play right in my living room, which is right next to my kitchen. You can't think, you can't put TV on, talk to anyone, because the music is so loud. You have to just go upstairs. I cannot tell them not to play, I give them my full support, I know where they are (they are not out drinking, drugging, or smoking). Oh, and since my son is the drummer, they practice at my house.

But I am fine right now, feeling good, and the desire to drink tonight has not hit yet. I have completed 3 full AF days, so tonight I'm working on #4.

Suki, politics will do that to you............lose the desire to drink :H
                          Diet Coke, good for you for staying AF on your day off (to me that is always considered a weekend and very difficult to go AF)
                          HarveyD - I love to see you racking up those AF Days - I'm right on your tail, and good luck on "Your Friday Night Challenge".
                          Suzanna, good job on your AF days too. We are right on target....Jan 4 - Day 4 - Yes !!
                          Flutterby - love those big FAT ZEROS
                          Rudemama - Glad you are feeling better today - we always feel physically better after an AF night.
                          Charlee, thanks for your words of wisdom and encourgement.
                          And to all ODATer's to follow, good luck, and have a great AF weekend.
                          Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Miss October, I just took your license.
                            Goal 1: Today
                            Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Good morning all. Just a quick note then I'm off o work..............What time do you guys wake up?????It 0600 here!
                              Day 4 today...............if I can get through the weekend, then I know I'm home safe. First week always hardest and day 5 a killer!
                              I know I have a long day today...........won't be doing too much posting but know that I am here cheering everyone on and getting the same. Does that make sense? I'm too sleepy yet, COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X