Panic at the Drive-Thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic at the Drive-Thru

well, here in Florida you can buy wine in drug stores, as well as the grocery store. Unfortunatly though, my drink of choice has been rum. Even with rotating visits to a few different stores...they know me. I don't keep alcohol in my house, so if I am drinking nightly I am also buying nightly. One particularly swift liqour store employee actually just asks me...you want the big one or the small one (pint or half-pint)...

How humiliating!!
    formerly known as bak310

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

Whenever I buy alcohol at the grocery I try and do the age guess with the check out person. If the person ringing you out is underage they put the flashing light on so someone of age can ring through your alcohol. I swear I have a 0-0 record, I would be so fired as the age quesser in a carnival. So, other times I go to Trader Joes, because the thing there is to get a case of Two buck Chuck, and I usually would fill a second with some others. Dam if some old wise ass does'nt look at my cart and go "there are meetings for that" Ha Ha, I'd like to say, ya "Well its at my house, i'm a drunk, alcoholics go to meetings."

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

Dang... yea... where I live, Indians run most of the liquor stores. There is one franchise that is extremely benevolent. I think they even know my name.

I'm sure, after 7 days of AF, they are wondering what happened to me... let them keep wondering.

It's a trip, Croft. Who wants to bet you go back to that store, even though you threw away the $20? It's all up to you to be able to stop.

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

Croft;268174 wrote: Maasai - when I go to Kenya I always see the signs: "Baadi ya Kazi...."

The drink I had once when I was there was called (forgive my spelling), muratina. It tasted sort of like lemonade. Everyone who drank it chugged it. My hubby and I sipped ours and the Kenyas that we were staying with thought that was very funny.
          More on the local drink from Kenya. I chatted with Maasai to fill in the details here. And also learned that treeman is really cool!!

Muratina is made from the fruit of the Baobab tree and is sweetened with honey. It is used in ceremonies but occasionly it is abused, as Maasai has described. Thank goodness he is hanging out with us now and doing great!!!!

Baadi ya Kazi is Swahili for "After Work" and it is painted across the local establishments that serve the local beer, Tusker, and also in some places, muratina, which is chugged.

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

KAT20;268239 wrote: Whenever I buy alcohol at the grocery I try and do the age guess with the check out person. If the person ringing you out is underage they put the flashing light on so someone of age can ring through your alcohol. I swear I have a 0-0 record, I would be so fired as the age quesser in a carnival. So, other times I go to Trader Joes, because the thing there is to get a case of Two buck Chuck, and I usually would fill a second with some others. Dam is some old wise ass does'nt look at my cart and go "there are meetings for that" Ha Ha, I'd like to say, ya "Well its at my house, i'm a drunk, alcoholics go to meetings."
            I am putting this in my journal!!!

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

"there are meetings for that"......funny but kinda rude! People are usually nice to me and ask me if I'm having a party....I usually reply with, "Oh, yes" and if I'm feeling cheeky I'll add "There's always a party at my house" : )
              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
              - George Jackson

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

I love this thread; I don't know where to begin.
                I guess first is that I love the lesson I am learning from places other than my own, especially Kenya. I have not traveled much, and even though it is not about ham hocks and cabana boys, I love hearing about other cultures and customs.
                So this would lead me to Walgreens in Arizona. The older Walgreens do still carry alcohol, but most of the older Walgreens are being replaced by newer, prettier ones that don't. I do live by an older one, but I prefer to go to the gas station by my house.
                This leads me to the original topic of being recognized. These people recognize me there--I get sodas, gas and snack as well as my beer. I don't hate them when I buy my beer; what I hate is when I buy a six pack claiming that is all I am going to drink, and then have to go back to get more. "Bitch, weren't you here just an hour ago?"
                And the last comment is for Kat. I read yours and laughed because regardless of where we are from, there are so many similarities. I have a friend who says just that. We are not alcoholics, we are drunks. Alcoholics go to AA; we just like to fucking drink. Have you seen those shirts that say "Rehab is for Quitters?" I hear that type of thing a lot. "I found something I am good at, why should I give it up?!!!!!!!!!"
                Goal 1: Today
                Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

dang i wish we had drive thru liquor stores. When I go to the liquor store I call it my walk of shame - oh how I hate going from my car, into the store and then scurrying back out to my car afraid that someone I know has seen me - gasp oh no that would be horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!

just more of my alcoholic paranoid mind working overtime
                  when you fail at something is when you learn and grow the most

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

We have drive-thru liquor stores, but for all of you business people.....Liquor delivery is the way to go. We not only make money, but we keep our streets safe. If anyone starts this up, please name it after me "Corky's Liquor>' (I have many nicknames).
                    Goal 1: Today
                    Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Panic at the Drive-Thru

I have about 30 cases of wine delivered every year, all at once, for a big annual party I have. We have a wine cellar so that's where the leftovers go : )
                      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                      - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                      X