My Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Story

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place or not, so bear with me. I am still learning my way around.

I am originally from York South Carolina.

I am 45 yrs old now, live in Florida and have been alcoholic since early childhood. My first drink came after I was molested by my stepfather at the tender age of 7. I discovered his "White lightening" kept in mason jars under the kitchen sink and went straight for the strong stuff. It did not end there.

My mom and stepdad were both construction workers and we moved from town to town state to state constantly. I never had a chance to bond with anyone. I was abused physically and mentally quite often by both of my drunken and drug laden parents.

By the time I was 16, I was a full blown alcoholic and attempted suicide for the first time (there would be 3 other attempts as well). I was a very disturbed young girl and was sent from one psychiatrist to another for several years. I would tell them what they wanted to hear rather than the horrible truth and all diagnosis back then were that I was normal... Yeah right!

I continued drinking and drugging (anything I could get my hands on really). I became pregnant and married at the age of 16. Before I even had my first born son I was already on my way to divorce. After his birth, he went to live in foster care and then later with my mother. The guiilt and shame of not being able to provide for my child drove me to drink even more.

I found a counselor that talked me into changing my life by going to college. I did with a prescription of Xanax and was drunk before I even settled into the dorm. More drinking for 3 years of college. I met a guy who I will call the love of my life. Together we were obnoxious and violent. God how I loved him though! Until the day he threw me out of my mothers kitchen window severing my achilles tendon. I spent 3 long years in various surgeries and rehab after that. Was given prescription for Tylox and commensed to more drinking on top of it. My life spiralled downward when he left and I attempted suicide again.

Speeding up through a few years so as not to take too much time and space here... the next major ordeal came when I had (at the request of my now teenages sons father as the baby was someone elses who had also left me) a third trimester abortion in Atlanta Ga. I will never forget that experience as long as I live and to this day consider it to be the most "horrific" crime of my life! There were people protesting there and threw tomatoes at me as I went into the clinic screaming at me "Murderer!" I wanted to die.

After that my drinking became even worse if that is possible. By the way I am not now nor was ever married to the man who fathered my teenage son soon after that abortion. He left also and ended up in prison where he still resides.

I managed to get back on my feet for a moment in time and my mother sent my oldest son to live with me who was becoming much to much for her to handle. I took him in and worked 2 jobs to provide. Meanwhile, he was setting fires, stealing, skipping school, you name it. I lost job after job and apartment after apartment once he'd set a fire or break into a neighbors house. I ended up leaving the state with my then 3 year old baby who still lives with me. My oldest son (now 26) has been in and out of jail and prison for the last 10 years. About to go back to prison... I feel responsible for that as well.

I ran to Florida, got a job married a wonderful man 10 years ago and still have been unable to remain sober. I have been to several rehabs, tried antabuse and everything else imaginable but have been unable to maintain any semblance of soberness for a period of time. Somewhere in between these paragraphs I was diagnosed "bipolar" (once I began to attempt some honesty rather than telling them what they wanted to hear) imagine that! Have been on so many meds I can't count em all, yet they only provided temporary relief before they stopped working.

So now I am giving it one last shot. This program just has to work for me. I am alone in my marriage although been married 10 years and cannot say anything bad about the hubby for he is indeed a good hardworking man, he just has not time for me. He works, eats and sleeps. I know I should be grateful for that, but there has been no intimacy in our marriage for over 5 years now. It is difficult, yet I know the grass is not greener and I could never find anyone who would put up with the shit he has and still hang around, so I am blessed and stressed at the same time. We don't "talk" or anything else for that matter but he keeps a roof over my head and gave my son his name years ago. He is a good father.

Enough! I am sorry to have rambled, but all of these things I think contribute to the sad state I am in today. That is my story... Certainly not all of it but more than enough to draw a picture of how sad a state I truly am in.

Off to see the Dr. I get Topamax today!

Have a great day!
    FROGZ~

My Story

Dearest Frog

There is no wrong place to share. Your story is powerful and reading through it I realized that I have shared very little of myself because I either don't think it is relevant or more likely I am just suppressing a lot of it and fear being judged. Well I judge you a saint, not a sinner. God Bless You and thinks for inspiring us to share more of ourselves. It is so important that we not face this alone. :l
    Matt

Comment

My Story

Thank You

I just came back as I realized that I didn't add the bottom line to my story and that is that it is so very difficult for me to look in the mirror and actually like what I see. I haven't ever been able to do that, but today I intend to remain sober (just for today) and see if that won't change eventually. It would be the greatest day of my life to look in the mirror and be able to say "You are beautiful... you're okay!"

Thanks again for posting support! I do appreciate more than I can say!
      FROGZ~

Comment

My Story

Frogzter;324911 wrote: I just came back as I realized that I didn't add the bottom line to my story and that is that it is so very difficult for me to look in the mirror and actually like what I see. I haven't ever been able to do that, but today I intend to remain sober (just for today) and see if that won't change eventually. It would be the greatest day of my life to look in the mirror and be able to say "You are beautiful... you're okay!"

Thanks again for posting support! I do appreciate more than I can say!
        :welcome: :new: too. You can do it. If you feel like drinking come here and read some posts.

Comment

My Story

Frogzter
          I am so sorry that you are hurting so badly. I want you to know that I joined this webiste back in June o2007. I can honestly say that although this was not a quick fix I could never imagined that i would be able to go even two days without drinking. Today is 14 days AF for me. I also had 20 days last month. For me this site has been like a miracle. Helping me along nad supporting me when I need it. Hope to be around to support you as you add up alcohol free days as well.

Comment

My Story

Thanks Time2Change and FloridaBoy

It truly is rewarding to see replies on such a positive note. This is only day 3 AF for me, yet I remain hopeful as this site has given me much comfort as well as direction already. I thank each of you for your words of support and kindness and I hope to provide that as well to the best of my ability!

I have read the book and am getting meds today and supp's tomorrow. It may be a week or so before I get the CD's. I am feeling hopeful and that is something within itself!

Ya'll have a blessed AF day!

:thanks:
            FROGZ~

Comment

My Story

Hi Frogster and :welcome:,
              Well done on your 3 days AF, and remember that your journey starts with the first step.
              I joined MWO last October and have had my ups and downs much the same as anybody here but the main thing to remember is not to give up on trying.
              Your post tells me that you are one hell of a strong person to have survived all that has happened to you in your life. You will get so much support here good luck.

Eastx
              In life we can live out our dreams its true
              the one who decides,takes chances,makes choices is YOU.

Comment

My Story

Frogster, you have been through so much yet have survived! You can also survive this, with all the help and support and caring on this site!!!! I am starting day 1 today, I plan to at least try to go 30..today is as good as day as any i guess! Hang in there, read alot of posts and jump on chat when you need to ...

Comment

My Story

Frogster,

Although my story doesn't compare to yours, I also have struggled to stay sober. I have several long stetches of AF days, I still go on binges and drink to excess. Stick around here. This place has helped me and given me the strength to keep AF in times of trouble. Even if you don't feel like posting, you can read and get inspiration.

My step-daughter's story almost mirrors yours. Extremely troubled, drug and alcohol fueled youth (her mother is still addicted to drugs and alcohol) that almost killed her. She is now 39 and has been clean and sober for 20 years. It took a lot of work on her part, along with psychiatric help, because she is also bipolar. She still takes lithium and works very had to stay clean.

I am telling you this because I hope that it will give you hope that you can do it as well. Stay on your meds, take the supps, read the book, and do whatever you can to recover. You can do it and you will have a TON of support here at MWO. Good luck!

:welcome:
                  Gabby.
                  Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Comment

My Story

BTW

I wanted you to know that many of us probably also have mental health issues. I want you to know that you are never alone and you are not alone. I guess they make a very nice complement to alcohol abuse. I have been treated for depression, anxieties and ADHD by a good psychiatrist for years who also spent many hours working through lots of hard issues. The "reward" for all this anguish was that I have always been a pretty high fller - but at such a devastating price.

Somehow realizing that becoming AF may be a big step in getting rid of the depression, etc, or at least taking the edge off it is worth a try to me. In the past if I could not stay AF during the "bad" times then the reverse was true, I couldn't stay off during the good. Party time !!!!!!!!! But as Florida said today I know that getting "hammered" just does not do it. So I am glad we are giving sobriety a fighting chance. Thanks again for sharing your stories and for helpiing me also to open up bit by bit..
                    Matt

Comment

My Story

Many thanks

To Matthen and all others who posted on this thread today... you have given me much needed inspiration and hope! I couldn't wait to get home from my appointment to see if there were any post. I hope to give as much in return as I am getting here.

As for the mental health issues Matthen, it has been a life long struggle with on again and off again medications, usually getting off them when I got on a good drunk for weeks on end only to end up even more depressed!

Today I got my Topamax and the Dr. also put me back on Geodone and Cymbalta. I didn't like that much but that is what he gets paid the big bucks for and my ignoring solutions given only get me back to the place where I started... from the pit of despair. So I will take my meds, supp's, listen to the CD's when I get them and return here many times a day for moral support given and taken.

This is the first time I have felt any real "companionship" in my ongoing problem and I only hope that I will be able to help someone else!

I truly thank you all from the bottom of my heart and look forward to sharing your ups, downs, middles and sideways!

Frogz~
                      FROGZ~

Comment

My Story

:welcome:

Well Frogzter girl - I take my hat off to you (well I would if I had one on!) That is a hell of a life you have led already - actually brought a tear to my eye. I wholeheartedly wish you absolutely every success with your efforts to get to love yourself. You will. You already are beautiful - just you can't see it yet! The beer goggles make us look ugly whilst they make others look good. When you take them off you can see properly what you are. I hope to see lots of your posts on here. I am certain you will get the support you need - you know you already have the companionship.

Bessie xx :l

Comment

My Story

Frogzter-

Your post really moved me. What I hear is someone who really, really wants to get better, and has met many frustrations along the way. Sounds like you were given some bad cards in your deck, but the bottom line is that we all have to capitilize on our strengths to overcome these cards. You have the desire, and that is huge. Take your meds, your topa, your supps, and never, ever give up.

Although i am not in AA, I am wondering if you have given it a chance recently. I ask this because you sound lonely. You don't have a friend in your husband (at least at the moment), you don't have supportive family, and "real" contact with others who understand you may be very healing for you. Just a thought. Also, please let go of the self-blame regarding your children. You did the best you could "at the time", and that is all anyone can do. Thing is, you do have a chance to make changes now, and not only will you feel better about yourself, I would not be suprised if many positive changes may come your way. Anyway, just wanted to give you support, and tell you how glad I was you shared your story here. You have much more going for you than you realize..many here have had success, and so can you.

Nice to meet you

beth
                          formerly known as bak310

Comment

My Story

Hi Frogzter!:welcome:
                            I just wanted to say how brave you have been to share your story - words cannot say how deeply moved I feel when I consider what you have had to cope with. You must have a great deal of strength to have got this far and it is that strength you need to tap into to keep moving forward.
                            I too have had a lot of other mental health problems to deal with besides the alcohol one. Sometimes for me it feels like peeling an onion and yet the onion must be very big!
                            I agree with Lucy in that I think the support from people you can grow to trust whom you know will not judge you and will offer you genuine friendship, and understanding(through the ups and downs) : this is vital to your recovery.
                            Keep posting! All the very best and love
                            Eviexx:h
                            Jesus said"Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
                            Take My yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
                            For my yolk is easy and My burden is light
                            "

Comment

My Story

Hi Frogzster,

First of all I love your screen name! You obviously have a very creative side and able to articulate yourself very well in posting your story. You have been on one incredible ride and I am glad to hear that you have now decided to enter a new phase of your life.

I received some really good advice from a friend today that I would like to pass on to you. I was very intensley communicating/"babbling on" about how I have screwed a ton of things up over the past 10 - 15 years.

I was interupted and his advice went something like this..."Whoe!, Stop!, Hold-On a minute and do what I say. Take that past of yours and put it in a jar and set it up on the mantle. You can look at it, you can even move it around the house, but you can't open that jar up for a while. You need to focus on only one thing right now and that is on going AF because until you get control of AL nothing else matters. One thing at a time! You can deal with the other stuff later!"

It took a lot of pressure off of me! One thing? That is not my nature because I actually had 6 major things I felt needed to be dealt with (one of which included the death of my daughter). I don't know if others agree with his advice, but I am going to take it because I feel a major weight has been taken off me.

On another note, I was wondering if you were going to tell your husband about your plan and approach to getting better. My girlfriend and I have been together for five years and I literally thought that she hated me. She worked, spent time with her daughter, and kept a good home. When it came to me it was cold, distant, and she ignored me most of the time. And I did the same.

But when I desperately asked her to help me to detox, take my supps, make time to listen to the cd's, etc a whole new world opened up for us. She went from being indifferent to me 24/7 to being the happiest I have seen her in years. I have been stunned at her support and feel bad for both of us that I didn't engage her sooner. AL is the root of the problems that have been having.

Good luck on your new journey. I have a feeling you are going to make it!

Comment

Working...
                              X