Can't sleep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't sleep!

I don't have so much trouble not drinking (although I do have cravings). My problem is that I can't sleep for 3 days or so (that is as long as I can stand). Has anyone else experienced this?

Can't sleep!

I think it is the most frustrating part of detoxing from alcohol. It took me about 5 days to get a good night's rest.

Maybe try an over the counter sleep aid, melatonin, or some other natural sleep product.

This will pass. I can empathize with you. A lot of us have been through it - but it does pass. Don't let it deter you from your progress thus far.

Comment

Can't sleep!

Absolutely! I don't sleep very well under the best circumstances, but when I leave AL behind, it gets worse before it gets better. That's why I'm writing this at 1:08 AM. Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Can't sleep!

gdy - It is very common to go through a spell of not sleeping, especially if you were never a good sleeper to begin with. But for most, that settles out in time. Just try not to let it push you back to having a drink to settle down - that is more like one step forward, three steps back. A walk after supper may help a lot. Not an arm pumping almost run, just a brisk stroll.

Good luck, and hang in there.
        The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Can't sleep!

Have had sleep problems all of my life

I can totally empathize with u. I have been a third shift worker for thirteen years. I have never been able to sleep. I have been on every med on the planet. Melatonin has helped. I am now off of third shift, which helps even more.
          "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Can't sleep!

Hi gdy

The not sleeping thing was one of the biggest barriers to me not drinking, and kept me going back to alcohol after one or two days AF, just so I could get some sleep. However when I committed to 30 days AF I was pleasantly surprised to find that after 4-5 nights of very little sleep, my sleep got better and better to the point where I now sleep a full 8 hours without a problem (I'm on day 28 AF and I think I slept well from about day 14). It is a much better quality of sleep too.

In the beginning I took GABA, L-Tryptophan and Hyland's Insomnia (the latter is a homeopathic preparation made by the same people who make Calms Forte). Now I only take the Hyland's Insomnia half an hour before bed, along with a camomile, lemon and valerian tea.

As others have said, don't let the lack of sleep deter you from going AF. It really is worth it to push through it for a bit.

Good luck

Wooflet x

Wooflet

Comment

Can't sleep!

Oh..those nites NOT SLEEPING! 'terrible'... was so tired at one point i cried myself to sleep..that means your sobriety is working! hang on, things will improve .... :l

Comment

Can't sleep!

Not sleeping and aches and pains were the worse for me. After about 5 or 6 nights I was finally able to fall asleep without sleep aids. I did take melatonin and sometimes calmes forte and they helped but I found that they didn't keep me sleeping the whole night. Just know that the not sleeping will pass. It's the damn alcohol withdrawal that is keeping you from sleep.
                Hang in there.

Love and Peace
                When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Can't sleep!

Warm milk is a natural sedative .It makes me feel relaxed and even if I do not actually sleep,at least I can rest.After the 4th or 5th day AF my sleep started to improve.Melatonin is a drug free way to relax and it is cheap.Have you tried reading , that always makes my eyes heavy and then sometimes sleep will come.I know it is a big problem for those of us in recovery but that too will come back into balance as you heal.Take care and know that this is a temperary prblem that you will soon over come....EVIE
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Can't sleep!

Try to drink a glass of hot milk with honey and sugar before going to bed,..when you lay in bed do not lay cause you wanna sleep lay as you just want to relax...............

Comment

Can't sleep!

I agree with Crusty D,
                      I find that a glass with hot milk and half a teaspoon of honey helps a lot. In rehab they give you sleeping pills for the first 5 nights, I suppose till the worst withdrawal is over. Something natural is better.
                      Jessie
                      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Can't sleep!

Gdy, I agree with everyone natural is better. My doctor prescribed Rozerum for me this week. I had sleep aid hangover the whole next day. I'm gonna try the warm milk thing.

Comment

Can't sleep!

Thanks all. .... will try again.

Comment

Working...
                          X