X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies for Dealing with the Habit of Drinking

Re: Social events

Tawny,
    I am the opposite -- I wouldn't even think of attending an evening event if alcohol weren't served. Heavens, how could I possibly socialize without a drink in my hand. Even certain kind of daytime weekend activities, like a shower, had better have something other than soft drinks. I remember seeing Mary Tyler Moore on TV a longtime ago say that she knew she had a problem when she started saying "no, I don't think so...." to things like picnics. But of course, we are not here at this website to figure out if we have a problem.

I do know that it has been hard at times to be careful to keep it together at work parties. I think your strategies are helpful, though, and hopefully those will help you enjoy your friends' company (and wine) on another occasion.

CS

Comment

Re: Social events

You don't have to announce that you have a drinking problem to have a positive impact on your social circle in some instances! I have found that actually announcing that I am cutting down on my alcohol intake "for health reasons" (because the actual recommendations now are 1 drink/day for females according to the latest science stuff, so I may have two drinks when I'm out) has made my drinking friends actually watch their intake more when they are around me! We all have more power than we know, if we don't let our own shame get to us! After I leave, they may all get sh**faced, but they actually behave better when I'm there! It's better for everyone!

Not a lecture, just a thought!:lol
      Kathy

PS: I have been actually drinking more lately, so not exactly in a place to preach to anyone, really! Hugs!

Comment

Re: Social Events

I am really just getting started with the CDs, haven't had a social event to attend yet. But as part of my preparation, I've been writing things down to "implant", and one of those is that socializing is about talking, not about drinking. It's about enjoying the people, not the alcohol.

It makes me mad to think how I've never really grown up in that regard. From the moment I started going to parties as a teen, it was always all about the drinking for me, and almost 30 years later, it seems like it still is. It just doesn't have to be that way.

Listen, I had the corniest great time a few weeks ago. Some friends invited me to a big community dance, featuring a Celtic band and an instructor who calls out the steps to different line dances. No alcohol. No date required. No skill required. No pressure. I danced with at least 100 different people, everyone had a smile on their face. It was the first time I realized just how much fun I could have without drinking. And I do love to dance.

Comment

Working...
        X