topa side affects...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

topa side affects...

I started out my first week 5 days ago. 25 mil. Made me kind of sleepy and felt just a bit off. I'm started to exersize hard on Saturday 2 days ago and also yesterday and now I'm feeling much better. Mush more alert. I have had a drink or two at night but last night only one. tonight I'm going to try only a half a glass of wine with dinner. I have been drinking over 10 drinks a night for 15 years.

Comment

topa side affects...

I found that the tiredness and the tingling will stay with you until you settle on a dosage for about two weeks and stay there. If you go all the way to 300 mg., you can expect the tingling and tiredness to pass after about two weeks. (at least my experience)

The soda still tastes yucky still and it has been over 4 months. Sorry.

I also found that my extremities tingled when I drink as well on the topa. Good luck.

-Nina

Comment

topa side affects...

Hey Joejo, My hat's off to you. Over 10 drinks a nite for 15 yrs... and now just a glass or 2 of wine!

I would be a shaky, sweaty, wreck!! Not to mention, no fun, at all, to be around...

I can nurse a 12 pk, & try to make it last a day, sometimes it makes it thru 2! Then other times...but when I stop cold turkey. Boy do I get sick. Pretty crazy thing to do to yourself,...& pay good time & $ for it too! Not mention the heartache for people close to us... Don't know where I'm going w/this, just wondering.

Hopefully, the nursing a 12 pk is a thing of the past...but I'm not gonna hold my breath. yet
        Hugs Judie

Comment

topa side affects...

I'll keep working at it. My wife is supper supportive of my efforts. I notice that I mix my words up but that just forces me to speak slower. Which is not a bad thing. I'm going to stay with the program exactly, dosage, cd's and sup's. I'm going on an unbelivable trip in March and want to be off the sup's so it will be easier with just the Topo. And enjoy the trip with no need to get hammered each night.
          Ed

Comment

topa side affects...

Hi Ed,

It looks like there are a few of us who started the same time. I started taking topa last wed. 1/18. The only thing I have noticed is my pop tastes funny and once in awhile my typing gets difficult... I am also doing the cd's and supp's by the book. I do need to start with the exercising however...been putting that one off, lol. Well good luck to you and we will all check in with each other.

My hubby and I do bowl every other Sat on a couples bowling league so I did have three beers last Sat., but so far that has been it for me! It hasn't been easy but after having 12+ beers at 4/5 days a week for many years, I have to say its a good start for me.

Take care,
            Tammie

Comment

topa side affects...

Tammie,

You sound just like I was with the amount of drinking. I know you will be successful with your dedication not only to the topa, but to the cds and supps as well. I was a bit lax with those until recently and man can I tell the difference. I just started exercising about 2 weeks ago as well and it really helps also.

-Nina

Comment

topa side affects...

Support

Nina,

Thank you for your support. That really means alot to me!

Tammie

Comment

topa side affects...

You guys, stay with it. It is really worth the effort. All your work is going to pay off. This is a holistic approach that also gives you what I have felt is an extra "edge". I never thought I could get out of the rut I was in. It seemed like the more I focussed on the problem, the worse it got. The more times I tried to solve it, the harder it became. I really was desperate by the time I found this program. But it was a private pain and a dark shame that I was not sharing with anyone. The beauty of this program is that I never had to tell anyone but my husband and my physician. But it has taken alot of effort and dedication, and as all the situations where I used to just have to drink alot come up ......I have to plan ahead, and deal with them one by one.
                  And I do believe you really have to be "ready" to let this heavy drinking phase of your life go, and put it behind you. Topamax is a very strong medicine, that has made me feel like I have a secret power, like now I know how other "normal" people feel about alcohol, those who dont feel so compelled by it, or ruled by it.

More advice about side effects, sometimes you might forget to eat, so be careful because I have noticed that (low blood sugar from not eating at all) can make me feel spacey and irritable and anxious and tired and just plain crappy. Topa makes you lose your appetite so dont forget to eat, or you might feel rotten uneccessarily

Comment

topa side affects...

Hi Everyone

I have decided to stop the Topa. I just hate the way I feel. I am so spacey, I can't concentrate, I can't think, and I can't remember. I have been accused of being drunk, which just makes me laugh out loud! I am thinking of Campral (sp?) - does anyone have any thoughts? I'm going to Google it and see what comes up. I am so frustrated as I have been on the program for a few months and the side effects just started a few weeks ago, but I can't handle them. I'm also going to talk to my doc about an anti-depressent to help out.

Thanks
                    Marie

Comment

topa side affects...

Marie, how many milligrams are you on? What are your side effects? Are you drinking with the topamax? HOw much? I am just curious as to what you are going through.... It is so different for different folks. Good luck with whatever path you choose!

Comment

topa side affects...

I was on 200 mg. I drank about once a week, around 2 decent sized drinks, which is tons less than I had been drinking. I could not concentrate AT all, simple tasks like doubling a recipe, figuring out what time to pick up the kids, stuff like that - I was falling asleep on the couch at 8, but then at 3 am, I couldn't get back to sleep so I am a zombie all day - with a headache to boot.

My husband said I looked like someone on drugs. I'm just not comfortable in my own skin on this stuff, so I'm going to try a different med.

Marie

Comment

topa side affects...

Last night was weird, I did break down and have two scotches but that was all. Coming up to one week on program. The real only problem is my alert-ness. Even playing tennis last night which I usually can do well was kind of hard to concentrate. And writing is slow. I hope this goes away as I increase my dosage.
                          Ed

Comment

topa side affects...

Hi All,
                            I have been on the topa (and everything else) since last Thursday, 1/19 and haven't noticed much in the way of side affects. I ended a contract on 1/18 (thus starting on 1/19) so I have had the luxury of being at home for the week, nothing requiring too much concentration. I start a new contract this Friday. I've decided NOT to increase topa to 50 mg until Friday when I get home to be on the safe side -- at least I'll have the weekend to see if anything changes. I do feel like I'm always kind of waiting to see if something's going to happen. The real test may be when I get back on the job in meetings, etc. I'm hoping for the best.

Gracie

ps. So far the program is working well for me. Have had one day that I wasn't happy with but I was "testing the waters too early". Now I know better after going back and reading a lot of the earlier discussion threads. In fact, I "highly" recommend that for the new folks. There's a lot of good info that's been discussed for many, many months on this site.

Comment

topa side affects...

Re: Side Effects

All,

I have been on Topa for just over four months. Like any drug the side effects vary from person to person. For me I was tired for the first month, had tingling in my fingers and toes for the first six weeks or so, and had trouble (when writing) finding the correct words and spelling for a couple of months.

Trust me when I say however that these did go away, or at least were seriously mitigated over time. I have no fatigue of any kind, I only occasionally have spelling problems and interestingly enough, my inability to find the right word only happens if I have even the smallest bit of alcohol...like a half glass of wine.

My experience is not a bellwether for anyone else, but I do know it is generally true the side effects are short-lived. If you feel Topa is working for you I encourage you to try and stick it out. The rewards are worth the nuisance of the side effects, assuming that's all they are...a nuisance.

Amy

Comment

topa side affects...

hello
                                must admit not used to this website so just advise me if im doing anything wrong i am on my second week and am tired and have the tinglying thing but on the top 25x2 only does it get worse as the weeks go by then havent had a can yet so dont know on the tinny taste though had a glas of wine last night and didnt want any more was surprised normally would have a lot more

Comment

Working...
                                X