X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made it Through my First Friday Night

Re: You guys are an inspiration

Way to go Jane!

I'm proud of you for making through the night sober! That has to make your son's birthday even better. Plus your daughters reaction to you telling her about your plans. I'm so excited for you! Keep up the great work!

Marcie

Comment

Glad you feel inspired

Hey Jane, Cindy, Marcie, Vida, and all!

I don't feel like an inspiration, although I'm glad it seems so for some of you. This is hard work. But fortunately, with the help of the program, it's not TOO HARD. It's only day 5, and I'm only going for moderation after a period of sobriety. I'm amazed at how tired I am. I'm pretty amazed that I haven't had a drink, though, and that's a good thing. I remember how when I quit smoking for the first time, I was so astonished that I went a day without smoking and didn't kill myself or someone else, that it carried me through 3 1/2 years w/o smoking! I've quit many times since then:lol ! I'm a recovering smoker now. But drinking is different. It changes your state of mind in a way smoking didn't (before you're sotted, of course!)

I don't feel "wonderful" or "terrific" like RJ describes in her book. I feel tired and a little empty, and a bit at a loss. But the important thing is that I'M NOT DRINKING! I made myself a nice dinner, watched the game and caught up on some work stuff that I had to do, and that was a good thing. I want to listen to the clearing CD and then maybe read a bit before bed. (Actually, I just want to read, but I know I need to really keep to the program.) So I'll go do the clearing CD and let the stream wash my troubles away. For those of you who haven't gotten the CD's, they are really worth it, although it is hard to make the time to do them sometimes. Although there are posts to the contrary, I have found it okay to do the subliminal when I'm driving, although I wouldn't risk doing any of the others. It puts me in a very mellow mood. No aggressive driving here!:hat

Jane, I'm glad your daughter is proud of you! I asked my 16-year-old daughter if she noticed I hadn't been drinking (I had told her I was doing this a couple of weeks ago), and she hadn't even noticed! Little so and so! (There's not an emoticon that fits here.) Ah, the self-absorption of the teenage years. She got her driver's license yesterday, so I imagine she is quite full of herself and thinking about all the places she is going to go!:hat I guess I'm sounding a little pensive today, and I'm sorry about that. I'm okay, really, just wish I had a little more energy. RJ makes it sound so easy! I think I will perk up more as the days go by and I get more used to this. Marcie, you sound like you are getting more comfortable, and that is giving me a lot of hope!

Welcome aboard, Cindy. Hope you get alot out of reading and posting here. It's been a real lifeline for me! Anyway, off to bed and the Clearing CD. G'Night All!

Kathi

Comment

Re: Glad you feel inspired

Kathi,
        Have you been excercising? I'm sure that would give you some energy. It just takes a little time to get used to it. I was actually depressed/sad/happy/excited the first week I was sober. Like you say, I was kind of "at a loss". I felt like I had lost my best friend, which in a way I had. Alcohol was my best friend for so long(at least I thought it was), I wasn't used to not having it. I think I posted this before, but I've been drinking sparkling grape/apple juice, it makes me feel a little more comfortable. I guess it all depends on how you can handle it, but walking around with a wine glass that has juice in it makes me feel better. I think about beer and wine at times(less and less each day), but I have the advantage(if you want to call it that) of not being able to drink.

Hang in there it will get easier.

Marcie

Comment

tired

Kathi,
          I remember feeling really tired at first, but I just went with it. I believe we don't listen to what our bodies are telling us when we are drinking....we don't rest when we are tired. I'd also get an energy buzz from wine to get me thru the late afternoon, but what i really needed was a good nap. Listen to the cues. I have much more energy now at 34 days sober than I can remember in a long time. Hang in there! Gina

Comment

Re: tired

OK guys - We made it through Saturday night. Let's congratulate ourselves. Kathi - I'm sorry your daughter didn't give you the feedback you wanted. I'm sure she has noticed, she doesn't realize it in her "teenage self-absorption" (my 13 1/2 year old is more like that than my 15 1/2 year old). Marcie - I tried this non-alcoholic wine made by Sutter Home last night. Not too bad. At least not as bad as the ones I tried when I was pregnant 8 years ago. Anyway, I did the same - put it in a wine glass, etc. All I can say is, it got me through the night. I don't know if this is legal on the program, but whatever.

Have a great Sunday, ladies. :rollin

Comment

Re: tired

Jane,
              I think anything is "legal" on the program if it helps you get to the point you want to be, either moderation or abstinenance. I've been drinking the Sutter Home as well. I saw on their website that the amount of alcohol in NA wine/beer is the same that is in fresh squeezed orange juice.

Great job last night to everyone!

Marcie

Comment

re:tired

Hi Ya'll, How interesting... I've never heard of oj having alcohol in it. I know quite a few AA'ers who won't even use mouthwash or astringent or hairspray, because of the alcohol in it. Think I'll do a little research on the oj myself. It's always something! I'm thankful to have some energy back this week. Last week wasn't a real good one. Maybe "Post Holiday Depression", ...any excuse will work! Time to go work out & then go work a bit. Good day all. Hugs, Judie

Comment

Interesting Info

I thought it was the Sutter home site, but it actually came up when I search on non-alcoholic wine. Here is what I found out.

"The legal definition of non-alcoholic, is a product that contains less than 1/2 of 1% of alcohol. (This is less alcohol than most fresh squeezed orange juice). Alcohol is a natural by product of the fermentation
                  process. It is impossible to remove all the alcohol."

Comment

Interesting Info

Hi! Thanks for the Info on the Sutter Home NA wine, but I'd rather just get used to drinking something that's not wine, for a couple of reasons. For now, I've been drinking Lite Cranberry mixed with seltzer, or other drinks without sugar in them. I'm hoping to lose some weight among other things, now that I'm not putting 500+ calories into my body every day with wine, and I imagine that the NA wine probably has about the same amount of calories. I'm glad it works for you guys, though!

Good research, Marcie!

Kathy

Comment

Re: Interesting Info

Actually, I was surprised at the amount of calories in the NA stuff. It's like 60 per 8 oz. I too am looking to use a few lbs. Maybe I'll save the NA stuff for the weekends and try the cranberry/seltzer during the week. It sounds yummy.

Jane

Comment

Working...
                      X