X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here

Hello Again!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

I have been out again for a while, busy holidays and so on. But I wanted to report back in, esp. to those of you who have been so kind and supportive. I didn't want you to think I had fallen apart or given up.

Actually, I have good news. I was trying to get pregnant, and just found out before Christmas that I am pregnant! So, I am sticking with not drinking, which I find really easy when I am pregnant. For me, it is just not an option, so I don't really even think about it. BUT, once I have this baby and get through nursing, I will have to revisit taking Topamax. I know as soon as I can, I will really want to start up that 5pm wine habit again! So I will want to stay connected to this group, and hopefully stay sober once I am dealing with a toddler AND an infant!

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, and I want to say thanks again to all of you. This site as really been a lifeline to me, and helped keep me focused on changing my behavior.

Happy Holidays!

Kim

Comment

New Here

Re: we're all so much alike

YB,
      Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I have a bad tendency to just overlook the posts that have been out here a few days.

That took a lot of strength and courage on your part to open up to your friends and your sisters. I've talked to my sisters a little. Even though they are in the US with me, they are thousands of miles away in different parts of the country.

How are you doing on the topa now? What dosage are you up to? I have been taking some of the supps(when I remember) and listening to the CD's. No meds for me.

Congrats on your project going well just before the holidays. Work has been pretty busy for me, I've been working at home most nights in addition to 8+ hours at the office. I actually look forward to it because it keeps my mind off of alcohol.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Marcie

Comment

New Here

I'm New

I am blown away by reading all the stories. We all sound so much alike. I always felt that I was the only one who felt this way and would go through the regrets, whys, I feel so horrible and I am not going to do it any more. I would go a day or two and then I would be with a friend and it is just such a habit I would naturally fall right back into the pattern. I tried AA and just hated those meetings, I couldn't relate, I felt out ouf place, I felt there had to be more and then I came across MWO. I had prayed and asked God to show me how to sto p this craziness and I believe He has done that by sending me to MWO. My Dr is wonderful, she is very supportive and said she thinks she may be able to use this for many of her other patients. thank you all for sharing your stories, it's nice to know that I am not the only one who has struggled for years over drinking.

Comment

New Here

kim, your life sounds just like a replay of my own. its so sad that alcohol can make u feel this way, but it does. sometimes it seems like its the one thing that i look forward to in life, especially at night while im doing my household duties. my husband also doesnt drink much, but has often complained that my drinking was affecting our lives. i also have been trying to get pregnant with a misscarriage behind me, and still no luck. i know my body is messed up with the drinking i do. today is day 5 for me without a drink. i have ordered the cd"s but havent received them yet. im pretty sure im gonna have to have the topamax because the kudzu is not working real well. i will be praying for you, and i hope that you are sucessfull. i dont know what it is that makes us, not be able to stop with one drink, i am like you, i think if i cant get a buzz why even bother with one. this is a sickness

Comment

New Here

welcome jp!

Hi JP,
            Glad you discovered this site. I discovered it a month ago when I was searching for info on Campral. It felt to me too like a "God thing". This format really helps me. I like being able to log on anytime I want, whether I'm in my pj's or whatever. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to sit back and read others stories when I don't have anything to add. Have you thought about what aspects of the program you want to try? Mine consists primarily of abstinence, Campral, this site, exercise and prayer. I really don't have the time for the cd's with 3 boys. Maybe once they're back in school. I need to get a cd player in my room so I can at least try the sleep learning one again. I didn't really have a great experience at AA either, but did take away a lot of good stuff I still try to use (one day at a time, etc....). I didn't like the idea of a sponsor telling me how to live every aspect of my life (not just the drinking part!). I wanted to get a dog for my boys, my sponsor told me not too....i should focus only on "program"...i bought one anyways....she blew a fuse. Total control issues!! Drove me back to drinking!! Anyways, sorry for rambling and welcome jp! gina

Comment

New Here

Gina

Unbelievable! If she were any kind of positive person she could see how a doggie could actually help you. Taking a dog on a long walk sure could divert you from wanting to drink. Giving it a bath. Playing frisbie. Dog park. Can't go to bar with a dog, dogs don't do shots I could go on.

Give that dog a big hug. How are you doing on the program?

-Nina

Comment

New Here

dogs

Yes my dog has been very therapeutic, Nina. I love to watch my boys bond with him as well....so cute! I just remember the other thing that really pi**ed me off. My in laws were staying at our house for what was supposed to be only 10 days. Well, it had gotten to about a month and I tried to vent my frustration to my sponsor. She told me how ungrateful and spoiled I was. No support whatsoever! I guess I could have tried a new sponsor, but this person had 20 years!! So glad to have support here! Thank you all! Gina

Comment

New Here

Re: dogs

Wow Gina,
                  She dosen't sound like a very sympathetic/helpful sponsor at all.

Comment

New Here

Hi JP,
                    Yes, this disease is one of such brutal loneliness, and isolation. I'm so glad you found the MWO board, please keep coming.

Hi Jeannette,
                    5 days is nothing to sneeze at! Good for you, keep it up. As has been said, we're all in the same boat.

Kim,
                    It's so nice to hear from you. Congratulations on your pregnancy, wishing you a happy and healthy time.

Gina,
                    Geez, are you sure you hooked up with an AA sponsor not a PRISON guard?? She sounds like a jerk, frankly. She had twenty (probably miserable) years, big deal; sounds like she wanted to sentence you to twenty-to-life! I subscribe to the houseguests/fish rule: after four days they all start to stink. As far as the dog goes well don't even get me started on that; I would still be drunk if it weren't for mine. God what a jerk!

Anyway, hi to all,
                    Kate

Comment

New Here

oops ,wrong place

Comment

New Here

New Here

Hi All!

I'm on day 3. I haven't had three sober days in years! Amazing! I'm sort of worried about the weekend, though! Today I sorted out the thread for a cross stitch that I'm starting this weekend to symbolize my beginning this program. No major yearning for booze, yet, just a few slight longings, but I suspect the weekend will be worse. Especially as my daughter will likely be getting her driver's license tomorrow and spreading her wings to fly! Wish me luck!

It's great to see all the new people getting revved up to start the program!

Regarding AA, I know lots of people who have gotten great help from the program and have had warm, supportive sponsors, quite unlike the one described above. I have gone to a number of meetings over the years, but it does seem that there are at least several really black/white, rigid thinkers in every group. I was going to one about a year ago, and there was a woman that I was starting to like ,and one day she started going off on a rant about people who weren't REALLY COMMITTED to not drinking. Well, I was still drinking some and I never went back. But that kind of thinking really isn't the AA teaching, but there's always someone in every group who's into the control/power thing. That has really turned me off; I just don't like exposing myself to people like that, and it would make it hard for me to rely on AA as a method to recovery. I would hate being boxed in with labels or told I was about to relapse if I didn't attend a meeting or whatever.

When MWO really catches on, as I suspect it will, I bet it will cause some real rumbles in the AA world. It will be interesting to watch!

Anyway, that's all from me on this thread for now! I'm glad everyone seems to be doing pretty well and is feeling hopeful!

Kathy

Comment

New Here

new

how do i get chat room

Comment

New Here

Re: new

Im,

I am sorry I'm not very good with computers... I do know that you have to register first. go the "My way out" main forum (the main page to enter into these seperate rooms) and look at the top. It will ask you to register, after you have done that look at top and there is a place to enter chat.

Hope this helps!

T

Comment

Working...
                            X