Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone starting the Program next week?

Welcome Laura,

It sounds like you're on the right track. What a wonderful gift to give to yourself and your young son. Give your husband some time - skepticism is understandable. All my promises and resolutions after a while meant nothing to my husband - it wasn't until my behavior changed that he began to be able to trust me again. Never stopped loving, just didn't understand. One of the reasons the MWO board is so valuable is because it is populated by people who do understand.

Best,

Kate

Comment

Thanks Kate

Hey Kate! Great to hear from you this am... I would have to say last night was my lowest of lows... my husband doesn't trust me with anything anymore... I KNOW you are absolutely right when you said that my behavior must change first... To be 100% honest, I wish I hadn't told him. I could have done it on my own, and now I have to live with the shame that he makes me feel, AND the shame I make myself feel... I took the supplements yesterday and exercised, and ordered the CDs, but I didn't sleep at ALL! Not good when I have a toddler around! Will the topa help me sleep? I hope so... Dr appt tomorrow! Do you take Topa? Are the side effects worth it? Thanks again Kate for your reply... It was just what I needed this morning. One day at a time...
      Laura

Comment

Re: Thanks Kate

Laura,

I know this must be a tough time for you. I hope you had a good day today. I wish I could give you some feedback on the Topa, but I?m taking Campral. Please write and let us know how your doctor?s appointment goes tomorrow and I really hope that you get a good night sleep. My doctor prescribed Lunesta for me as a standby. I?ve only used it once when I first started absing, and it really helped that night.

Please keep in touch and take it easy. Eat plenty of good food, drink a lot of water, have some good workoutsm take your supplements and I hope your CDs come to you tomorrow. This is really helping me right now.
        -Janet

Comment

Hey Laura

Did you have your dr appointment yet? I have mine on Monday. Dropped off the Lancet article yesterday for her to read over the weekend. I hope she is receptive to this or else I will order off shore. It sounds like there has been a lot of success with this and I'm hoping to add to the success stories

Marcie

Comment

Re: Hey Marcie

I had my appointment on the 6th, she gave me a 2 week supply of Campral. I was abs for 6 days on my own without the meds and now I think this is day 6. I feel great, I went out to dinner last night and did not crave that glass of wine (or 4 or 5) I thought it would be nice, then I reminded myself that I'm not doing that now and that was it! No nagging debate, and longing. I actually enjoyed my meal (I actually thought I could have made the dish better) I guess I was actually tasting my food !! Imagine that!

I have been working out like a champ also. 5 days last week, this starts a new week and I plan to workout today. I plan a trip to the gym every day even if it's just for a sit in the sauna. I feel like I'm sweating out the toxins. I hope that's true.

Comment

ATL doctors

I am in the third week of the MWO program and am very encouraged with results. My internist would not prescribe Topamax for off-label use. I ordered it from the Internet, but would prefer to find a physician in Atlanta with whom I could work.
              Can anyone refer me ?

Comment

ATL Doctors

I'm sorry, my doctor told me she would not recommend it due to side effects, I went in to see her for Campral and she agreed it was a better choice for me. I am in the ATL area, but I can't make any suggestions.

Comment

Campral

Hi! I just found this site after being prescribed Campral by my MD. I relate so well with what I am reading!! I am a mom of 3 boys (12, 10 and 4) and need to stop drinking. I have done AA and still keep in touch with 2 of my friends from the group who don't pressure me to come back. I kept relapsing everytime I'd go back and found it difficult to attend mtgs regularly with my schedule (I am also a full time RN and work 12 hr shifts 3x/week). I've been in detox twice. The first time (Jan 2004), my husband checked me in to the hospital because he felt out of control of my binges. I stayed 3 days, then started a 6 mo outpatient program which I completed. Stayed sober for 9 months, but was on Xanax (prescribed by my psych!). Very addictive med!! I started drinking on it when my tolerance to Xanax increased. felt completely out of control!! I checked myself back into rehab/detox (Mar 2005) because it is extremely dangerous to wean off xanax on your own. (Impossible for an addict to!). Since this time, the longest period of sobriety I've achieved is 45 days. The black outs have gotten worse and worse, esp after a few weeks of abstinence. Now I am facing a public intoxication charge. ( I got a bit crazy at a downtown bar...they are cracking down on this here!) As an RN, I am scared to death having a misdemeanor on my record, but feel fortunate it wasn't a DUI or worse!! Big time wake up call. So far Campral seems to be helping. Should i also try topamax? Is it safe to take together? I will do anything at this point. Thank God for this site and its alternative approach! Gina

Comment

Welcome Gina! - Questions about combining Topa and Campral

Welcome Gina,

Wow, sounds like you have had quite a ride with the ole booze. You are in good company here, that's for sure. I have my share of stories to tell also.

I am fairly new here, but I don't think I've read where people take Topa and Campral together. Campral is for abstinance, and Topamax is for those who want to moderate. I suggest you read through the site to get familar, and definately order the book, it has a wealth of information about the entire program included.

I am sure that some other more experienced members will jump in and help answer your questions. In the mean time, keep taking the Campral, it is really helping me.

Take Care,
                    Janet

Comment

Re: Welcome Gina! - Questions about combining Topa and Campr

Welcome. I encourage you to come to these boards as the members are great. How long have you been taking Campral? My personal advice for you is perhaps stay on the Campral for awhile...it sounds like maybe you need to have a period of abstinence to reflect on some issues for awhile? And then maybe you can consider what is right for your life at that point.

Also, what are you doing in the way of support? Given your public intoxication issue, are you being mandated to attend AA meetings? Was there any issue with your nursing license? Are you considering private counseling of any kind?

Excuse me if I am too nosy or you don't care to answer any questions....just trying to be a support

Jen

Comment

thank you!

I was arrested on Nov 19th, held for an hour, and released. I have a court date on Dec 27th. I am very nervous about this affecting my nursing license. I will have to report the charge if convicted (all misdemeanors must be). I can't really fight the charge, I was "intoxicated" and "in public". I do remember all the details of the arrest, however, which is better than many of my episodes! I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know that if it is a first offense, the board is usually ok. My drinking never really affected my job. Never had to call in sick because of it,never late, never drank on the job, etc.. I haven't started going to AA again....very hard to go back. Also had bad experience w/ some luring men, sponsors wanting me there for 90 mtgs/90 days, etc.... I'll go if that's what I am required to do. My 2 friends from AA whom I still keep in contact with, have been very supportive. My husband, for some reason is very supportive. I have what appears to be a "great life", but I seem to want to self destruct. I have 9 days sober today on Campral. I had 11 days after the arrest sober, got the rx for Campral and decided to drink before it was filled...I guess another "last hurrah"? I was in therapy back in March-May, but didn't want to return because of my relapse. The shame is killing me! I ordered the program today and the herbs. Exercise has always been a huge part of my life (thinking about becoming a personal trainer) so that is no problem. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Re: thank you!

Welcome Gina,

Congratulations on your 9 days. It sounds like you're off to a good start!You're right about one thing, shame can be lethal. Wow, three little ones and 12 hour shifts, you've a lot on your plate. I'm glad you have a supportive husband and good friends. Make time for yourself, you have some demanding work ahead of you and, as you know, we function so much better when we're not in a blackout! How well I know!

If you read back over posts you'll find a wealth of information and lots of wisdom on the board. RJ pops on fairly regularly, she's a very cool lady with lots of practical advice and great perspective.

Best,

Kate

Comment

Just starting out

Laura,Good Luck,My wife of 30 years and are starting the program together.I have the cds and have tried the first two. There great. We've gone one day without drinking.We've been heavy drinkers for most of our married lives.We would start drinking while making dinner and continue to drink every night until one or the other of us would pass out.We might be dead right now if it weren't for heavy working out and healthly diets.This new attempt to stop the drinking has also been prompted by a powerful religeous experience.We needed help before it's too late.We were consuming a bottle of good wine followed by 14 to 15 oz. of bourban every night each. Glad I found this web sight. Good luck to everyone. Joe

Comment

Re: Just starting out

Wow Joe, I'm glad you found this site also!!

This is my 16th day, I have gone this long before but not with the ease and confidence that I'm feeling right now. This is a miracle for sure.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

Re: ATL doctors

Hi everyone,
                                This is my first week too. My doctor would not prescribe me Topa because he said he only knew it was used for Epilepsy so I will go to another doctor. Right now I am taking supplements and am waiting for the book and CD's. I havent been hungover since Thursday which is great. Love to wake up bright eyed and not hating myself. It is nice to say 'I don't remember something' and it not be related to the fact that I had too much wine. It is really nice to give my kids a kiss goodnight and remember that too.
                                I hope I don't have another hang over this year and then on to the next. This program has given me some hope. It is really helpful reading all your posts, it gives me strength to know it is not just me.

Bobbie

Comment

Working...
                                X