Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting Campral

Canmpral and Topamax

I am a "newbie". Can you mix Campral with Topamax? I have started Campral but feel like I need a double dose.

James

Comment

Just starting Campral

Re: Canmpral and Topamax

Hi James,

Welcome! I'm not sure if you should mix the Topa w/ the Campral. I do want to urge you to hang in there. The Campral will "kick in" w/i one week. You will be amazed how your physical cravings disappear like Mike and others have stated. I agree, there are still cravings of the mind. I understand how you feel Mike, it is a little like loosing an old friend (one that REALLY wasn't very nice to ya!)
      Stac

Comment

Just starting Campral

Re: Campral and Topamax

Thanks Stac. Yes I suppose the mental cravings take a little longer to deal with. And that "friend" sure used to beat me up on a regular basis!

Hey James--

You should probably post your Campral/Topamax question on the "Ask Dr. Garcia" forum. Sometimes she doesn't answer right away because she's been traveling, but she'll eventually respond.

I've heard of combining Campral and naltrexone, but not Campral & Topamax.

Mike

Comment

Just starting Campral

James,

Maybe you just need to let the Campral do its work for awhile. I think Campral can be mixed with other medications, but I"m not sure about Topamax. And in terms of the benefits, taking both seems like having a belt and suspenders! Depending on whether you are opting for moderation or abstinence, I'd pick one and go with it wholeheartedly. From my experience, Campral kicks in pretty fast. Topa seems to take longer to ramp up, but some people feel the effects very quickly.

Though I do understand your desire to double dose and kill this thing!

Ann

Comment

Just starting Campral

Hi James,

If your goal is abstinence, I would just stick with the Campral and see if it "kicks in". The topamax has a lot of side effects you don't want to deal with unless moderation is your goal. If you do feel you need to combine it down the road, try Campral and Naltrexone (Revia) Those are supposed to be very effective together and also more likely that your dr. will prescribe.

Comment

Just starting Campral

Mixing Campral

Thanks. I have been on Campral now for 5 days. I think it does work as the craving for alcohol is much diminished. However, I need to focus on the objective a bit harder. My wife likes our social life and she likes going to the pub (London UK). So , although last night was poor - one bottle of red wine with a meal and 4 pints of Guinness later - I felt that I did not really want to be there. The craving was not there but the habit was. I think I need to abstain for a while so will stop today and let the Campral take it's course. I will get back here again in a week.

Once again thanks for this inspirational site.

James

Comment

Just starting Campral

Please I need help. To get up feeling like shit, not remembering the night before, and having to have a drink to recover is NOT how I want to end my days. How do you stop the cycle?
                C
                ++

Comment

Just starting Campral

Cess, I replied to you in Newbies Nest. Please go back and read! Thank you!
                  Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                  X