Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any one new

Re: New too!

Welcome Stac. Ditto here. Im a high profile professional in a small community. You may want to register on EZ Board. Good Luck! The program works!

R.

Comment

any one new

Re: Anyone new?

Hey Stac,

I'm new here too. You were so kind to give me info on Campral. I've got a dr. appt next week and will ask her about it. I'm not sure the side effects of Topamax are for me.
      I'm also not sure she will prescribe me off-label as I'm with an HMO, but we'll try. I've been seeing a therapist to try and unravel some of the issues of why I drink, but she's focusing on my stress as the mother of a teenager. I finally told her that her approach wasn't working and I wasn't feeling any better. Now she wants me to try anti-depressants. I told her that any depression that I might be experiencing is dealing with this dibilitating disease of alcohol dependence. And since alcohol is a depressant, I need to work on eliminating that. While she's not being contentious, she's giving me the feeling that she's the parent and I'm the child and I should do what I'm told.
      I live in a small town and am a professional in the community and it was a BIG step for me even to see a therapist and it will be HUGE for me to confide in my dr. next week. I'm going to drag my husband along for support and hope that he will stand in to advocate for me when I will want to hide under my seat in the waiting room.
      When I started this program, I was hoping to achieve controlled social drinking, but I've chosen abstinence for now because I feel I still have a lot of healing to do and find that it will be easier if I completely eliminate what I've been poisoning my body with for the last few years.
      I really just am sick and tired of being sick and tired and it is devastating to me that I've chosen an allegience to alcohol over the honesty and trust that I share with my husband.
      He is the best thing that has ever happened to me, alcohol is the worst and yet I have been choosing the alcohol.

Anyway thank you all for lending me support. Those of you farther ahead, I look to you for inspiration and hope that I can be of help to others and I progress in my healingl.

Take care all,
      k

Comment

any one new

anyone new?

Thanks all for the warm welcomes. I really believe in this Campral, that is why I am so vocal on it. I never in a million years thought I'd be able to quit drinking. I know I couldn't have w/o this medication. I also, am seeing a therapist, along w/ my husband every other week. It does help to get a differnet perpesctive. I've suffered w/ mild depression for years. All the meds I tried had unwanted side effects (i.e. weight gain, loss of sexual drive, etc.) The MD that placed me on Campral also perscribed Wellbutrin. If I had known how good this stuff would make me feel, I would have asked to try it a long time ago! It has given me energy and decreased my appetite. Between it and no more drinking, I am actually losing weight w/o even trying!
        Please keep me posted as to how your doing!!!
        Stac:b

Comment

any one new

Re: Just starting

Hi, I just read the book and am about to start also. I made a list of the vits to buy tomorrow and am going to order the tapes. I am just so worried I am going to fail because I have tried SO many things to stop drinking. It is just such a part of who I am. But I really made a connection with RJ's book. She is me to a "T"!!! Taking vodka in the purse, waiting for the host to open the next bottle of wine etc. I still get it all done during the day and no one in our community would ever guess how much I drink. My big difference from RJ is that my husband is about to divorce me if I don't get the drinking under control. He hates who I am when I drink. I WANT to stop drinking so much but am so afraid of failing again. As I sit here and drink my vodka and OJ....sigh! Would love to get to know anyone who is about to start the program and would love to hear from those its worked for.

Comment

any one new

Re: Just starting

Hi Steph,

Just finishing my first week. I still don't have all my supps but have the milk thistle, L-glutamine, calm's forte, B and All One. I'm also on topa (25mg) and doing the hypno tapes. So after years of drinking a bottle and a half to two bottles of wine almost everyday, in the last week I've had 1 glass of wine every night (Sunday night I had two) and didn't want any more than that. I'm on a low dose of topa and expect I won't even need to have a glass when the dose increases.

I was terrified it wouldn't work. I can't believe I pour a glass and it takes an hour to drink it, then I'm happy not to have more. Love this program and I don't beat myself up about the fact that I'm still having a glass or two. 10 glasses a week as opposed to 50 - 60 is a real achievement for me in my first week.
            Give it a go, you dedication will see results. All the best

Comment

any one new

Advice on Topamax

I am a binge drinker and have purchased the Kudzu but don't take it regularly like I should. I'm interested in the Topamax. Is it only available by perscription?

My husband recently left me, I know some of it is because of the drinking so that makes me feel quilty. He is a weekend drinker too but he could handle it and I couldn't. I asked him for help but he was afraid he'd have to give up his lifestyle. It was my problem not his. That's what 25 years of marriage got me.

Well he is gone but I still have my problem to battle by myself and my son who is addicted to crack and alcohol lives with me. The finances are not the best and I can't afford the program but it should sounds wonderful.

I'll follow the boards and see what success the rest of you have. Maybe one day the money will show itself so I too can get the help I need.

I did try a therapist but had to go to the meetings alone, didn't want the stigma of the AA meetings nor could I free up the time. Plus this therapist seemed more interested in taking the higher end money for the assessment then cancelling the appointments when all she was getting out of me was the smaller co-pay for the regular appointments.

You sure get to feeling unworthy and unloved after a while. Nobody wants to be an addict or a screw up for Pete's sake!

Comment

any one new

Re: Advice on Topamax

Hi you have made it further than Have. I haven't even recieved the book yet. I made it off to a rocky start on the board. I haven't put anything out here for a while. I just wanted to tell you that you are not by yourself. Come to this board there are many people that will support you. Those whom have done it and are sober. I have cut back a great deal. I am waiting for the book etc. Don't be too hard on yourself You are here which means your trying. That's what I think anyway. There are many more here with lots more experience. Just hang in there
                Lin

Comment

any one new

Cutting back

I have cut back a lot but when stress hits I'm a mess. Unfortunately stress hits a lot right now. I know I need better coping skills but I'm not sure what those are yet!

On top of all my problems at home I work a very stressful job and really wish I had time to devote to just myself but nobody is going to pay the bills if I don't move my butt so I keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep on keeping on.

Comment

any one new

Re: Cutting back

that's all you can do. Is keep on trying. Good luck
                    Lin

Comment

any one new

Re: Cutting back

I GOT THE BOOK!!!! THANK GOD

Comment

any one new

Ordering Topa on-line

Has anyone ordered the Topa on-line? If so what is your experience?:hat

Comment

any one new

just starting

Hi Steph,
                          I am just beginning I've read the book and I think alot of us can relate to many things like why is your glass always more empty than others I went out for a curry with my husband he made a beer last the whole meal me however the white wine didn't taste strong enough so I got him to order a bottle of different wine and the waiter poured it out and put the cork in it so I could take it home.I was itching to drink the lot but it didn't seem strong enough my body is getting used to 12.5% wine wants something stronger.
                          I feel I am becoming out of control and definately drinking more and more I recieved my kudzu today I haven't got tapes or some of the supps.All I think about is being normal got to shop later want to avoid drink aisle drank alot of wine yesterday fell asleep on sofa after dinner.
                          my husband doesn't know the pain and torment I am going through. hope you get all your stuff I've ordered topas but no sign of them coming yet.

Comment

any one new

just starting

I have been taking topomax since Monday. taking all of the vitamin supplements also except kudzu -- have ordered it through Small Planet -- still waiting for it. Have been using all the hypno tapes -- still drinking -- not as much -- is anyone else struggling? I find the beer I looooove tastes funny so I changed to wine -- am I sick or what. I live alone and have a grown daughter (23) who is very worried about me. What is wrong with me. I have read the book 4 or 5 times already. Anyone have anything constuctive to help me?

Comment

any one new

i'm new.just started . i'm looking around on here trying to figure out how to navigate thru all this.

Comment

Working...
                              X