X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool box

Well said Timpin
    They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. Andy warhole

last drink 3rd August 2009

Comment

Tool box

Wow folks thanks for all your in put on the toolbox, true to my word i have printed this all, i know this is going to help me, cant believe i have joined here in oct 2007 and only just read this, im still learning believe it or not. I know if i cant get on the p.c i have got the toolboxs printed out.....
      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Tool box

this thread is helpful, thanks all!
        my doctor was telling me today not to worry about having to take a pill to feel okay in life.
        i worried about it before.
        wine became my medicine.
        a pill, prescribed by a doctor and following his directions, is just fine.
        and i'm coping w/situations much more effectively now.
        i make a conscious effort not to focus on the negative, and realize no matter what there will be stress in life.
        it all depends on how i handle myself and the stress.

Comment

Tool box

bump for Gilbert
          Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
          If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
          November 2, 2012

Comment

Tool box

Bump for newbies.
            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Tool box

For me, the most important thing has been to recognize my triggers and manage my cravings. So:

1. I try not to go grocery shopping near suppertime when my cravings for alcohol are highest.
              2. When I am in the throes of an alcohol craving, I find that raising my heartrate by running on the treadmill or doing jumping jacks even for a few minutes is enough to trick my body.
              3. I drink a large glass of water when an alcohol craving strikes. Also, I sip on tea all evening just to have something to drink.
              4. For me, being home alone is a binge trigger. So, I either leave the house, invite someone over, talk on the phone, do a long yoga tape or go to bed early. I do *something* just to get thru the time until the next day. I know the craving will not last forever. I am also learning to crochet to keep my mind and hands busy.

About me: I am 52 and have been drinking since I was 16, almost daily since my 20s. I drink a bottle of wine most nights a week. I started Topomax 2 weeks ago and am up to 50mg and its helping immensely with the cravings. (doesn't do much for the brain, tho - LOL!!) For the first time ever, I feel I can get through this. I've only drank twice this week which is a HUGE improvement for me. I've never been a party type, I drink alone when my husband is gone or in the other room watching tv. I am a closet binge drinker. I never drive drunk. I live in a small town and my hubby is a police captain. It would be social suicide if I were to be caught driving drunk so I don't. I am hoping I can moderate and was able to in the past for about a year, but we all know how that goes, now don't we? :sigh:
              Anyway, glad to be here and hugs to you all.
              Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
              That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
              Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
              Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Tool box

Hi,
                I'm new around here but I wondered if I could make a suggestion to the organisers of the site.
                I think the idea of a ToolBox is an excellent one and I have found the posts in here a valuable resource.
                I would like to suggest that the toolbox is moved to the front page of the site and left there for people to add tips hints and articles to that help others to work their plan. It would also motivate people to get going who have just joined. (It took me a few days to find it)
                Keep on keeping on

Comment

Tool box

:new:
                  I have found this site today to give myself a birthday present this month. To abstain for the first time in 12 years for a month to begin with and see how I go from there. I can abstain 4 days and then I struggle so I am this is my goal.

Wish me luck please

Comment

Tool box

Good Luck to you PR>

Comment

Tool box

:welcome: Beingme- I am new here too. Found this site a week ago and have been coming on atleast once a day if I'm near a computer. Keep reading and posting. Best of luck to you!!

Comment

Tool box

A good day

Hi Mountain girl. Good luck to you. Just registered on the drink tracker. I'm Australian and here we have a horse race called the Melbourne Cup, known as the race that stops a nation. Tis true! It was on today. Most peope have the day off and attend a venue with a cup theme dressed up in expensive cocktail dresses hats and ridiculously high stilletos or men are in suits (thats not say that men wont put on cocktail dresses for a laugh) to watch the 10 races, eat and drink till you drop and get carried home somehow then try to go to work the next day.
                        If you have to work then there tends to be numerous gambling sweeps, drinks and food in the board room and at 2.30 everybody stops to Race 7 -being the cup. I was booked to go to a venue and am very proud of the fact that I drank alcohol free wine!
                        It is my birthday month and I have decided that I am going to abstain for a month as a birthday gift for myself. Its day three.....:l

Comment

Tool box

Love that I came across this....Just yesterday I felt a "ah-ha" moment when suddenly it felt very odd that I would have ever thought drinking alcohol was an acceptable behavior....it was like....why would I drink alcohol....that's like asking why would I drink javex bleach???There one in the same...(not that I have ever drank javex bleach!!)I'm hoping this was not a fleeting moment and one that I can hold onto....
                          :thanks:

Comment

Tool box

Perhaps "eat as much as you can" can be narrowed down to vegetables of all kinds. Something tells me I wouldn't be able to fit in my car after eating as much lasagna as I can possibly put down.
                            Kelly

Comment

Tool box

Mentatloner HOLD THAT THOUGHT !!!!!!!!!!! good mental image AL is like drinking poison or bleach ~~:l Em
                              Non Drinker 9/09
                              Non Smoker 6/09
                              Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Tool box

Welcome to ALL You Newbies to this site!! The TOOLBOX thread is a great place to start! When we look at changing our life as an Exciting Journey, it makes the whole trip so much easier. Do a lot of reading, post, ask questions.....perhaps join in chat....a word about chat....just chime right in....it can get hectic and busy....but, just join in the conversation....it is a lot of fun!

Read some in Monthly ABS and Long Term ABS....there you will find a lot of us that got sober right here at MWO....!! Yes! It happens all the time here!

Best Wishes to all of you on your journey!!
                                xx Kate
                                A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X