Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Do you know what? I'm not sure (without checking) how many days I've been without a drink. How cool is that? In the past 15 years I haven't managed more than 2 days without a drink & it's all I've thought about. It's so liberating. Brilliant to have the 30 day reminders, think you must've read my mind. No modding for me, I like where I am these days.
    AL free since 24 October 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all

How we doing? Making it through the weekend ok? Here I am on Day 7, didn't think I'd make Day 4. I can really recognise my witching hour properly now - it starts around 4pm, peaks at 5pm when I very nearly give in. But I tell myself I just have to get through another hour and I'll be fine. At 6pm I start the children's bedtime routine which keeps me busy until 7pm and then the craving subsides.

Seeing the consultant tomorrow about my gallbladder, hopefully he will agree to take it out in the near future cos it's a nightmare.

Have a great Sunday everyone x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters,

I love waking up Sunday morning without a hangover, but this morning I have a headache. I know for sure it is not from wine though. I had a wicked drinking dream last night, and as many of you know, they seem so real and this one was a doosy. They always leave me a bit exhausted. Thank goodness they are not real, but they leave me feeling sad and reflective anyway.

Min Star -- Sounds like you had a stressful evening last night and maybe that contributed to the lack of sleep. That kind of situation always leaves my head spinning, even if I had a great time. You are doing great though and held your own.:goodjob:

Wow Willow -- Lucky Day 7. Good for you...Keep going this next week will be great!

Nollie -- Doesn't it feel great to not even remember what day you are on?

Mimi -- One week of down time sounds really relaxing...Have a good time.

Herbie -- Good job on Completing day 3... Hope the horse is okay too.

Lav -- Are you cooking for everyone today. Sounds like an open house and a ton of fun. Can I come? I'll bring the soup. What kind sounds good today? Enjoy your family; they sound very special. I have been cooking all weekend and today will be simple as there is plenty in the fridge since I have been on a roll lately.

Everyone else -- WHERE ARE YOU???? Lola, I hope you are enjoying the weekend as the weather has been good (here in the East anyway).

I am feeling a bit melancholy today. Must be a time of reflection and discovery for me, so I will just go with it. Lovin every minute of it. :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. That is what sums it up. I am new, and playing with fire, I think. I was AF for about 12 days. I had that stupid voice in my head that said, "it is ok to relax and enjoy on the weekend, for at least a day...have some wine..." I did. the whole bottle. I feel completely angry, even though I realize that I could pull up my bootstraps and keep on going..which I shall do. I feel like a haze is over me this morning, headache...etc. I hate this, I really do. I watch people have a glass, maybe two..and stop...I just wanted to be that person. Still do. I have tried moderation in the past...it somehow ends in daily drinking. I am so angry! Thanks for reading....

Comment

Newbies Nest

A DOZEN DAYS...DONE!

Happy Sunday Nestlings! And a beautiful sunny one it is here!

Today marks 12 days for this Blonde chick! I'm really feeling like I'm making progress! Still feeling some effects from my cleanse diet and giving up AL, but also feeling much more energetic and happy now that I haven't drank in *almost* 2 weeks!

I didn't get a chance to post last night as we went to pick out our new oven when I got home from work. Well, first I made sure we ate dinner before heading out so we wouldn't be tempted to eat out near the mall. Then we hit the road (30 minute drive to the nearest Lowe's or Home Depot). Hit Lowe's first and ran into hubs older brother and my sister in law. Let me tell you how nice it was to greet them without being drunk. On a Sat. night, that would have been unheard of for me. I was like..."hmmm, so this is how the other half lives?"...(as in actually doing something other than getting shit-faced on Sat. night)! We didn't find the best deal or model that we wanted at Lowe's so we hit Home Depot and it paid off as we got the exact model for $150 less with free home delivery, set up and haul away of our old stove! Can't wait for the ceremic smooth top stove (electric) and say goodbye to those hard to clean coil burners! Hey, it's the little things that mean alot. :H We didn't get home till about 9PM and I was exhausted from a long day at work plus shopping and driving so I had a cup of tea and went to bed...wanted to check in and was thinking of you all but my eyes were telling me they needed to close

So, this morning I had lots to catch up on, needless to say!

SteadyHands-Well done on sticking with it in your early stages! :goodjob: You mentioned that you are thinking of going vegan, and all raw diet. When/if you do, I would love to buddy up...I am currently just about a week into full-fledged vegan/raw eating and I'm feeling great. Although, that diet in itself is very cleansing and detoxing at first when you switch and I felt like crap the first 2 or 3 days. But, like not drinking, it only gets better with each day.

Willow-I agree with PF on getting into the habit of doing something else other than reaching for that "fishbowl" size glass of wine when it hits the witching hour. I think it was PF who said that and I can relate...my wine glasses are goblets and hold at least THREE glasses if not a little over! And we always used to call them a "wee glass of wine", a phrase in herited from my dear Scottish grandmother. I come home now and take the dog for a walk (weather permitting), then eat something straight away and make dinner. I try to finish eating dinner by 6PM and I find it easier to sleep and maintain my weight that way.

KPartyof1- I feel your frustration. Don't give up...the beauty of life is that you can always start something over...get back on the horse! You proved you could do 12 days and that is fantastic. Just take it slow and focus on TODAY. You can do this! We have all been there!

Windy-How's it going today? Sorry about your headache. I have been waking up a few mornings this week, although hang-over free, but with a headache, which I attribute to AL detox, a diet detox and daily supplementation with wheatgrass, which is a really rapid detoxifyer and after doing some research, can cause headaches if you are not used to it. I hope you are feeling better soon, but geez, we would hope to be headache free after giving up booze, right!

Minstar, sorry for your trouble with sleeping. Have your tried a sleep geared tea like Sleepytime? That helps me immensely. Try it! I think you will be back to sleeping like a baby in no time!

Nollie, wow, great for you for racking up those AF days and having to double check your number of them...must feel fabulous! Well done!

WILLOW-DAY 7! ONE WHOLE WEEK! WHOOO HOOOO! Doing the happy dance for you! Keep it up!

Lavande, I'm gonna remember your words about Thanksgiving going fine without wine...I'm sure it will!

Mimi-Congrats on 18 days, that is wonderful! Hope you are enjoying your downtime while hubby is hunting. We all need that now and again. Welcome back to the nest and I look forward to getting to know you more.

Herbie-Day 3 and the best is yet to be for you, I know it! Hope you slept well and are off to a wonderful start to a great Day 4!

Hi to Belle, Lolab, PF, Capn Greg, and any other Sunday nestlings who are reading. I'm off to work and will check in later. Have a beautiful day all!
            Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
            :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Mimi, so glad you dropped in & congrats on your 18 AF days!!!! Terrific!!!!

Herbie, Nollie & Willow - doing great

Hey windy! It's vegan cream of mushroom soup today ~ yum!
              Sorry about the headache, I've had them off & on all week. Fall, allergies & sinus problems have long been a part of my life. I heard it may hit 70 degrees today - woo hoo!

kpartyof1, glad you dropped in today!
              So you are learning what the rest of us have learned ~ moderation is indeed difficult for some & impossible for the rest of us I was never happy with one or two glasses either, why bother?? You can spend the rest of your life fighting & arguing with yourself or you can make it easy & just accept the fact that you can no longer drink safely. That's what I did & I am on my way to being 3 years AF Stick around with us for a while!

Blondie, congrats on your 12 AF days & your new stove :H
              The little things in life do make a big impression on me as well!

OK, have a super busy day ahead, will starting with feeding & watering my feathered friends outside

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all!
                Hope you are all having a happy Sunday! I am pleased to say i did finally nod off- thanks windy and BlondeAFAmbition! I will think about getting those Tea's in. Tonight I am going to try Horlicks- or something that is similar in the cupboard!
                Windy- Hope those headaches have got better. Are you drinking enough water? I can't stop drinking the stuff. I have kinda substituted the glass of wine for a glass of sparkling water! ha.
                BlondeAFA- Hows that new stove working out for you? What have you made? I love cooking and new gadgets. Alas today I got some new bulbs for my extractor fan! ha!
                Yesterday was kinda stressful for a bit but then I didnt even think about them drinking. I do think however, that they will probably think I am up the duff! Ha ha ha ha!
                Enjoy Sunday peeps. I will come back later- may put my head down now

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prarie...You are where I am! I'm sick and tired of what AL does to me and my friends!!! I'm angry at what it has done to me. I'm dam mad, in fact, at what it is capable of taking away. Keep that fire...it's what will get you thru...we are all sick of it, and it's easy to give in and gloss over and go back to it...but once you get thru the physical AND the mental habit...you will be free as you were when you were a little kid. You, PF, have the makings of the next NEST Muther!! Keep the fire! It's the only way to beat it!!!
                  AND, if I had listened to LAV, my date below would be 1-31-2010, instead of a year later....what a boob I was!!! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

PF, you also reminded me of my Mantra those first few weeks, and it came from my buddy who was 2 weeks ahead of me, Jolie....she said, 'Besides, what is one glass of wine going to do for me anyway?' I repeated that over and over in my head...and it helped. B
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Blondi! Congrats on your new stove. I love my new one...my old ceramic top died a couple months ago the only thing that worked was the light bulb, so I had the real life size version of an Easy Bake Oven. I got a new one with convection and regular cooking and no coils in the bottom. 2 words of warning one from me and one from sister...the ceramic top will scratch if you drag a pot across it, so be careful. Sister broke 3 tops by her canning of veggies...she'd turn the burners on high and leave the room and with the weight of the heavy pots would cause the top would break. She also put aluminum foil on the bottom of her new oven to catch drips (remember, no exposed coils) and the foil stuck to the outlines of the buried coils and it would never come up..it fused!!! So I am mindful of that.
                      I'd like to touch for a moment on the topic of "I will get to such and such day and then re-evaluate my relationship with AL". May I tell you from bitter experience...whatever your relationship is/was when you first came here is the best your relationship will ever be with it. Yes, I say the best. It only gets worse. It's like saying I will re-evaluate my relationship with my ax murderer husband. The relationship is gone, sad to say. And the sooner you realize it the better. I mentioned in an earlier post today, if I had listened to Lav my date would be a year sooner. I evaluated, and re evaluated...it was always the same and worse!! You can not bargain with the devil......you do not need AL in your life to be happy. You just don't. You'll find a whole other subculture of people out there that don't drink...that shop at night...who drive at night...and they are happy! I would get days and days under my belt and then try to re evaluate....always to the same end. BAD. Once you accept this as a lifestyle...(and this takes time) the sooner you will get rid of the agony related to "Can I or can't I?" It's not a bad thing at all. It is BETTER than you ever would imagine. At least that is the way it was for me.
                      MindPeace to all today...Byrdie
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi to everyone in the Nest -

Sorry I missed everything thing this morning - but I did the unthinkable. I slept and it was 't because I was passed out or hungover. I slept so long - my hypno play list I had on last night - fully reset itself. That's unreal to me.

I suppose it's my body - at Day 18 - doing some form of saying "Self- WTF? We have had major changes to system inputs which is also affecting system behavior and outputs. Self - sleep. Hard. We need to assess what's going on. If it's something we can heal overnight we will. But there is a heck of a lot of mess in here, we have only gotten what we need to fix things for three weeks, and as a result- when you can turn off the alarm and give us extra healing time - DO IT."

Just a guess in my part. So sleepy still I could pop back under the binky and head back to the land of nod...

BUT - the world intrudes - very RUDE of it.

So - again - the kitchen is empty of brewed coffee, which means A) it's my weekend on my own B) I continue to have NO invisible minions who read my brain waves and understand when fresh French press is required - piss poor minions and C) the cat - who likely knows when I am going to actually arise before I actually do has once again failed to develop occipital thumbs to make herself useful and pay for her kibble.

I'd say damn cat - and while I KNOW she can't read this - I'm not certain the crazy beast doesn't sense intent - and I'd prefer to get some sort of evil cosmic cat payback for making a joke.

So - when properly fed/hydrated etc - I'll feel more like a human and less like a 3 toed sloth. I was proud last night - I have avoided the deli section of my favorite store because it involves going through an outstanding wine selection - last night I made it in/out. For as many hours as I have spent in that wine section - that was a miracle to me. A true miracle.

And to echo someone else - since the Christmas stuff went up - good GOD - there is boxed up pretty liquor in aisle after aisle at the grocery store. You can't swing a cat without hitting a bottle of spirits

This season is NOT going to be easy. We are just going to have to keep reminding each other why we are here...

Shuffles off to operate the French press since the minions and the cat have failed to get with the program...
                        That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                        Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

And thank you Byrdie for your kind words - I have a LONG way to go. :-)
                          That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Moderation...

Byrdlady;1207857 wrote: Blondi! Congrats on your new stove. I love my new one...my old ceramic top died a couple months ago the only thing that worked was the light bulb, so I had the real life size version of an Easy Bake Oven. I got a new one with convection and regular cooking and no coils in the bottom. 2 words of warning one from me and one from sister...the ceramic top will scratch if you drag a pot across it, so be careful. Sister broke 3 tops by her canning of veggies...she'd turn the burners on high and leave the room and with the weight of the heavy pots would cause the top would break. She also put aluminum foil on the bottom of her new oven to catch drips (remember, no exposed coils) and the foil stuck to the outlines of the buried coils and it would never come up..it fused!!! So I am mindful of that.
                            I'd like to touch for a moment on the topic of "I will get to such and such day and then re-evaluate my relationship with AL". May I tell you from bitter experience...whatever your relationship is/was when you first came here is the best your relationship will ever be with it. Yes, I say the best. It only gets worse. It's like saying I will re-evaluate my relationship with my ax murderer husband. The relationship is gone, sad to say. And the sooner you realize it the better. I mentioned in an earlier post today, if I had listened to Lav my date would be a year sooner. I evaluated, and re evaluated...it was always the same and worse!! You can not bargain with the devil......you do not need AL in your life to be happy. You just don't. You'll find a whole other subculture of people out there that don't drink...that shop at night...who drive at night...and they are happy! I would get days and days under my belt and then try to re evaluate....always to the same end. BAD. Once you accept this as a lifestyle...(and this takes time) the sooner you will get rid of the agony related to "Can I or can't I?" It's not a bad thing at all. It is BETTER than you ever would imagine. At least that is the way it was for me.
                            MindPeace to all today...Byrdie
                            Hi Byrdie

When I joined MWO on the 10th I was desperate and unsure of how and what to do next. Just knew I had to do something different than all the other times. Posting seemed too exposing, but I just wanted to feel better! With all the replies and kind words I read more + the tool box.
                            The next day I decided to go AF for a year - still don't want to let it totally go... Since then I was glued to this web site and answered all the questions in the tool box. Some was difficult to answer, but my answers kept flowing when I answered "What would be the negative cosequences of getting a bottle?". I was shocked at what I antisipated could happen!!
                            Reading and posting constantly helps you to figure your way out! And I have read it over and over the past few days - that moderation only works for a few people.
                            My gut feeling tells me that my bad relationship with AL is over!
                            Thank you for taking on the re-evaluation point. :thanks:
                            Not a mod-girl.
                            Off to bed to end day 3 AF!
                            12-20-2012 AF
                            Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome SteadyHands - we are glad you are in the nest!
                              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Actually I am really grateful there are no AL sales here on Sunday's - because I am dancing with the devil again. Force of habit - Sunday afternoons is book, laundry, call's to my friends and wine.

Since I don't have any at home - I am safe. But I can't stop at my favorite Sunday restaurant as they have exemption and I used to have it with my early dinner there...breaking habits don't you know.

So - off the grocery with the FAB wine section which I can go through safely as I can NOT buy any - and head home to herbal teas and a home made dinner.

And L-Glut/GABA/AMINO's...hope my new shipment comes soon
                                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X