Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I am safe at home for the evening with no wine, so day two is in the bag. Even better, I feel like I have a good chance of making it through the weekend since I escaped the pull of Friday night.

The only bad/sad thing was that my husband was going to have a non drinking weekend with me. The second I got home from work I could see he had already started drinking. I'm not mad at him, I'm sure he figured I was going to give up on our goal after a long day at work since it's Friday, after all. Anyway, it's a little uncomfortable between us, but we'll get past it. One thing is for sure. As soon as I saw him trying to act normal when I got home, the craving I had to drink disappeared. He is looking and acting rather ridiculous, truth be told. Maybe he'll join me tomorrow. If not, I'll do it on my own.
    ~ The chief cause of failure is trading what you want most for what you want now ~
    -----------------------------------
    Goal #1 - 7 days AF -

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow this place is hopping!

Lavande, I wanted to ask you about the Todo institute's distance learning programs. There is one starting in January that I think sounds pretty good for me. Have you ever done any of their programs, and if so, how was it? And of course, thank you for being here and keeping an eye on everyone!

Noal and Windy--you guys are awesome! Congratulations on working towards your goals.

Herbie and BelleGirl--I am so glad you didn't cave in. "Nothing worthwhile is achieved quickly or easily." I don't know the author of that quote, but I really like it. I am really happy for you! Our sobriety is worth so much more than that very, very, very false promise.

John--thanks for your post!

Hope everyone has a great AF night!
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

noal;1227603 wrote: Hello nesters, checking in on day 60...can't beleive it! Doesn't seem like 60 days and I wonder if that has something to do with working so hard at it every day?

Thank you everyone, I couldn't have done this goal without reading your post every day.

Hope every finds the strenght to have a great AF weekend.

Good luck to all!
        Yessss! Way to go on Day 60! I don't know if you ever venture out of the "Just Starting Out" section at this site, but there's a congratulatory thread for you in "General Discussion" too.

Comment

Newbies Nest

This is an amazing place....when one of us gets in trouble, it's incredible how someone is there to give some guiding words. Well done. All you gotta do, is get thru this day. No drink is better than being sober feels. Be strong. Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters

Herbie - You are a day ahead of me AF and I have to admit that it is not as great as I thought it would be. It's 3am in SA and I am still up doing things (needle work mostly) that I should do during day time. I am on holiday,so my time is mine, but still...I suddenly swopped day and night!!

I am very easily irritated these days and when someone wakes me during the day while I’m sleeping it is an explosion!!

I do use sleep aids, but I am so driven/focused (not restless) weird to describe….that I struggle through the entire night like a zombie and then collapse on my bed when the birds start singing!
            Depression comes and goes and then I cry for a few minutes and then it is gone. 30 min later same thing. Then a few hours…. I am used to put my makeup on and it is good all day. Now I apply mascara a few times a day!

Not being used to FEELING our true, unclouded feelings – Yes, body and mind needs time for healing.

Belle – All my sympathy!!! One of my fav reasons for drinking was to be able to be kind to the kids. AL took the edge off, but made the mornings living hell!!

Till later!
            12-20-2012 AF
            Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Timpin--Way to go on 42 days! I love your attitude!

Scottish Lass--You can do this! I can't wait to hear how you sailed right through that party AF!

Belle--You are in a tough spot watching those kids. You stuck it out and stayed strong. You should be proud.

Good job Irie!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Herbie

I may be way off but the last time I quit drinking, after about 30 days, I started feeling exhausted and depressed. Someone mentioned to me that I might be anemic because drinking can deplete iron levels. I also don't eat meat, so. I got some iron supplements and felt better immediately. Perhaps this is the case for you.

Bellegirl- way to go! You're awesome! That was not an easy situation to be in, but you did it! Congrats! Pour the vodka down the sink...you don't need it anymore!

I'm wishing I was stronger, but I know that it will come. You guys are all doing great! Stay strong!
                "When you know better, you do better"

AF- February 16, 2012
                Goal 1- 3 days al free
                Goal 2- 7 days al free
                Goal 3- 1 month al free
                Goal 4- 3 months al free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all

I just wanted to share a story, I really havent gone out socially since I have been AF (22 days!) as it is so hard but last night I went to dinner with an old friend who was in town (guy) and we got there early and our table wasnt ready so my friend suggested we have a glass of wine, i said no and he said just one and i said i cant have just one, it doesnt work like that for me and then he really tried to get me to have one and promised to not let me have any more then one and he would look after me and keep an eye on me all night. Gosh it was tempting as he had me beleiving I might be able to do it but I stayed strong and ket saying no. I felt like I had let him down and I wasnt being fun but I just had to do it for me.

Does anyone else get this kind of pressure from friends. Im in my 30's and single so it really hard socially, people dont seem to have a lot of compassion or maturity on this subject.

PS good job all in the nest
                  PPS Worried about audrey? have I missed a post maybe?
                  45 days AF 24/11/11 - Jan 2012.
                  New day 1- 9 January !
                  Back again 27 May 2012 - day 1

Comment

Newbies Nest

Audrey14;1227677 wrote: Hello Herbie!!!

I don' t have such long expierience of being AF but i read that' s normal when you quit drinking - mood swings, irritability, sometimes mild depression...
                    But if it' s not going to change for you perhaps you should visit your doctor for some advice.

Try to something reallly good for yourself, maybe spoil yourself

Wishing you positive toughts!!!! No wine!!! I remember when i was child my mother told me - wine you drink for joy not for sorrow..

Some years ago i started to drink to heel my sorrow...that' s why i' m here now....
                    Hi Audrey

Glad to see you here. I hadnt seen you post in a while, I must have missed this post. Good job on keeping with it!
                    New day 1- 9 January !

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am so annoyed, pissed off, just don't care. All I want to do is smoke a joint and drink tonight. I have nothing to occupy myself with. I have 0 friends to hang out with. No where to go. No job. I just hate everyone and everything. I just want to get fadeddddddd
                      Sober as of 12/7/11
                      Goals:
                      7 days - Complete
                      14 days - Complete
                      21 days - Complete
                      1 month - Complete
                      2 months - Complete
                      3 months - ALMOST!
                      6 months - not yet

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ruin

Just dont do it today.

Cant you go shopping, download TV shows, DVDs? Boardwalk Empire, Parks and Rec, The Office, Arrested Development, Weeds (ahh, maybe not), just distract yourself until the feeling paases, DVDs, tvs shows are so great for that, so is shopping, get some yummy food too?
                        New day 1- 9 January !

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Ruin,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so down. But hang in there - you're doing SOOO well. Just think about how you'll feel in the morning when you DON'T have that drink/joint. You'll be so proud of yourself. This feeling will pass. Like Australia says, distract, distract, distract. Sending you a big fat :l
                          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Australia;1227754 wrote: Ruin

Just dont do it today.

Cant you go shopping, download TV shows, DVDs? Boardwalk Empire, Parks and Rec, The Office, Arrested Development, Weeds (ahh, maybe not), just distract yourself until the feeling paases, DVDs, tvs shows are so great for that, so is shopping, get some yummy food too?
                            All I have been doing the last 3 days is watching TV and playing video games. My car is barley running right now and I don't have a job to fix it. This has been going on for the last 5 hours.
                            Sober as of 12/7/11
                            Goals:
                            7 days - Complete
                            14 days - Complete
                            21 days - Complete
                            1 month - Complete
                            2 months - Complete
                            3 months - ALMOST!
                            6 months - not yet

Comment

Newbies Nest

The job will come quicker sober than it ever will down the rabbit hole. White knuckle it Ruin - you can do it :h
                              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ruin - do you have any Glutamine or Kudzu - preferably both - to take the edge off?

I did my first 8 days totally alone so I know it sucks. I am sorry. All I can say the first days are hard and alone are terribly difficult. BUT - on the other hand - no one needs to see you as you do this - AND you can come here as often as you want. We have all been there.

Hang in there - stay strong.
                                That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                                Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                                AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X