Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Day 1 again. Going to check out the toolbox....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning check in...Welcome Can...We are glad you found us. The tool box has tons of important tips in it...
      Whenever you feel like talking about what brought you by, you won't find a more understanding audience. Sometimes, just getting it out of your head and onto paper helps...I'm so glad I found this place...we have lots of success in this little nest. Hunker down...we're all in this together.
      Have a strong day, Nesters. MindPeace...B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav I think you have the root of my AL issues..stress is definitely it...never learned how to cope just drank the stress away even if it was a temporary thing.
        Going to Yoga class tonight and am looking for some medication CD's. Still using the hypnosis CD's and I know they are helping...just need more to stay the course.
        Dottie
        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters -

Almost - Never feel bad for "talking" to us...we are here for you.

Tess - My insides seem to have healed as well, I can't believe they held up as well as they did with a steady stream of beer being shoved at them.

I am (yes, AGAIN) giving up the cigarettes, on day 2, and I feel so much better when I don't smoke...so WHY do I keep relapsing? Well...like Byrdie says "What counts is now"...and right now I am not smoking!

Lola - Kids always know the perfect time to interrupt us...that's one of the things they do best As much as we miss your words of wisdom, we do understand that your little guy is sick and needs you...so we'll be here when you get a chance to concentrate!

Lav - How is Stella doing? Is she still Queen of the coop? Give her a peck for me!
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Everyone and :welcome: Ican :l

Just looking over posts from yesterday and want to comment on something that Lav mentioned about many of us being "caregivers" in one way or another. I think, Lav was referring to the caregiving as a profession, such as nursing, but I also have a hunch that many of us share a common trait of being GENEROUSLY caring individuals, no matter our profession. Not to brag on myself, but in spite of all my weaknesses, I have a very soft heart when it comes to caring for the less fortunate, the weak, the "underdog", etc. And I see that trait in ALL of my friends here. We care for each other deeply, we care for our families, we care for our "real life" friends. Basically, we want to make it All Right for everyone else (sometimes at the expense of our own happiness) And yes, it can be stressful. I for one, tried to escape from the stress of it all by drowning myself in beer. Fat Lot of good that did!

I am so proud of everyone here for the progress that is being made as we are learning about ourselves and our relationships with others and what our roles are (and are NOT) as we continue to take care of ourselves and our families, friends and one another. One thing we need to remember is that we must take care of ourselves first (Like Byrdie says?.in an airplane emergency, you have to put your own oxygen mask on before you put your neighbor's on).

We are all doing the BEST thing we CAN do for those we love by getting sober. Whether we are struggling to take care of our children, or parents, our friends or each other- we do that BEST with a clear mind. The next best thing we can do is to follow our hearts. Many of us come to this site to share our worries, ask for advice, give advice etc. We use the site and each other for some much needed support. Many of us give advice, many of us take advice, but I think in the end, we all have to do what is best for ourselves and our loved ones in the best way we know and are able. Again, as difficult as it is, we have to accept the things we cannot change, change the things we can and work to realize the difference. I keep each of you in my daily thoughts and prayers and truly want the best for you- and I thank you for all the support you have given me.

:h Star
            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Going to post this in a couple of places. I didn't know this but Ativan can be prescribed for alcohol withdrawal seizures. Here's one article, but there are more out there:

Lorazepam for Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment | eHow.com

Doctors prescribe lorazepam to quell short-term anxiety symptoms or to manage the anxiety sometimes associated with depression. The medication also works to treat panic attacks and anxiety. All these effects can be useful when a patient is experiencing withdrawal from alcohol. Seizure is another symptom of withdrawal from extremely heavy, prolonged alcohol use, and lorazepam can also be an effective tool for preventing these seizures.

Among the benzodiazepines, lorazepam in particular may be good for alcohol-withdrawal treatment because of the short time it spends in the body, making it safer for people with liver problems, and because of its relative lack of effects on the respiratory and circulatory systems. Lorazepam may not only prevent the first seizure from occurring among recovering alcoholics, but also prevent future seizures after one has already occurred. Hospitalization is common in patients who suffer repeated seizures, so lorazepam may be useful in cutting down on hospital admissions.

Lorazepam is, however, potentially addictive, so doctors must use care in prescribing it and monitoring its use, especially in patients with alcoholism or other known addictive disorders. Withdrawal effects can sometimes be seen in lorazepam users after as little as a week of use. To avoid dependence-related issues, doctors generally try to prescribe the lowest effective dose and for the shortest possible duration. The drug can be dangerous, leading to respiratory depression, and possibly even death, in overdose situations with alcohol.

In addition to its anxiety-reducing properties, it also has strong amnesic qualities, meaning patients who take it sometimes lose memory of the time spent under its influence, though tolerance to this side effect develops quickly.

Warnings
              Lorazepam can cause side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, headache, dry mouth, impaired coordination and blurred vision. When using the medication, caution should be used if driving or carrying out other tasks that require you to be alert. Use during pregnancy is not recommended.

Read more: Lorazepam for Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment | eHow.com Lorazepam for Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment | eHow.com
              I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Star - Thank you for your encouraging post today. We Nesters appreciate all that you do for us!

Lav and Byrdie - Thank you for your watchful care and guidance. It's wonderful to have such great mentors!

Today in one of my classes a student asked if she could copy all of my homework. She said that she would return the favor on some future date. I explained that I would not take her up on her offer because I attend classes to learn -- not just to pass. I had literally spent hours on my homework (in the midst of raging AL cravings). So I went on to explain that each of us is responsible to complete our own work. Yes, we sometimes work in teams and I'm all for helping and being helped. But to flat-out copy another student's work is cheating. She was not a happy camper. I was not happy either because I did not appreciate her putting me in such an uncomfortable spot.

I then thought about recovery. Yes, we can and do give and receive information and support. But it is impossible to cheat. What I mean is that I cannot take your "quit" and somehow apply your efforts to myself and get credit for it (that is, get sober). No, when all is said and done I must make my tough choices and you must make your tough choices. And then we celebrate together.

Also, as I was walking across campus this morning the bells in the tower began to toll. I've heard them many times before, of course, but I heard them differently
                this morning. They were saying: Wake up and STAY AWAKE. Alcohol is clever. Alcohol is patient. It will wait for a weak moment. Stay on your toes.

I keep All of you in my thoughts and close to my heart. :heart:
                Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                pointed the way
                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just got word that a friend passed away today. She was an alcoholic that has been in & out of rehab and last year was hospitalized due to her organs shutting down. She was one that could never escape the deamon. I'm so sad that she lived a life of constant torment. RIP my friend.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit....I'm so sorry to hear about your friend...there but by the grace of God, go I....aren't you glad we are getting a second chance at life? We are getting a Do-Over....Thinking of you....Byrdie
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

So sorry about your friend, over it!
                      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

She is one that I was hoping to share my good news with, once I figured it out. She was one who was on my mind when I spoke about "my little dirty secret." Everyone knew she was an alcoholic and would "tsk, tsk" but no one knew about me. Byrdie, you are so right "there but by the grace of God, go I"

so, then why do I want to go have a drink right now? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Overitt - Really very sorry and sad about your friend. You want to go have a drink right now because you are an alcoholic. Our desire to drink makes no logical sense. We Nesters are with you and we love you. Stay away from the booze and do something for yourself that is nurturing.

The man pulling radishes
                          pointed the way
                          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Edit Button

Does anyone in Nest-land know why the edit button is displaying on my posts this afternoon. How do I remove it? Thanks!

The man pulling radishes
                            pointed the way
                            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's always there...that edit button....at least it is on mine...B
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1444646 wrote: It's always there...that edit button....at least it is on mine...B
                                Thanks Byrdie!! Must be losing my mind. No worries. I'm sure I'll find it again... :nutso:

The man pulling radishes
                                pointed the way
                                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Working...
                                X