Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Tess,

I get strength and inspiration from your posts. Thank you for sharing your story. Prayers for you and your family for continued strength .

hc

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nesters! I wrote a post this morning and ran out the door....when I sat back down tonight, there it was, unsent!
      Had a great meeting today and finally home. Always good to be home.

Tess, it is an awful task what you are doing right now....helping your mother die... it's just unspeakable. My dad was ready when he finally left us, as your mother has made preparations in her heart and gotten herself ready. My heart is truly out to you and your family. All of my thoughts and prayers are for your strength and peace.

It's been a long week, I'm going to stop thinking now, and not the OLD way!!! :H I'm going to do it the old fashioned way and just watch stupid tv!!!

Kradle, your mailbox is full!! I wanted to say hey, but there's no room!
      NoSugar, thank you for being such a great Mooner! Those awards are important. It shows that being AF CAN be done, and IS being done!
      Rahul, great going on your 11 days. When you hit day 13, the cravings will calm down and you will find that being AF really IS something you can do! Day 13 was a turning point for me! Hang in there, the best is yet to come. I'm so proud of you...and all the nesters here. This is a place of strength!!

Have a great evening everyone! Be safe and sober!!! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess

Your posts are inspiring and speak to my very core! You are one heck of a strong person. I have read and re read them. My heart breaks because of what you are all going through. I will be praying for you all!

Lizann

Comment

Newbies Nest

evening nesters

just checking in, been away for a while. I'm off the reservation at the moment, not going crazy, just moderating (never thought I'd say that!); anyway, I'll shut up about that, not terribly helpful in this thread ...

great first week in the new job. bit of a shock to the system after eight weeks off post-redundancy, but probably good for me to have some structure - I tend to end up nocturnal otherwise

I've been reading a great book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quiet-power-.../dp/0670916765

well worth a read if you're the quieter type (like me), very life-affirming

take care

SD

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

SD, you are aware of the moderation threads, right?
            Check in there to compare notes with other modders. Be safe

Tess, you are in my thoughts :l

Congrats to everyone making progress & sticking with their plans. You'll never be sorry
            Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Stopping by to say hello......

Tess - I am so sorry for this difficult time in your life. I am lifting you, your Mom and your family in prayer. You are truly an inspiration.

Hope everyone has a peaceful, AF evening.
              Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
              [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Feeling a little bluesy tonight. I'm only a few days AF and I knew this was coming. The first few days I'm always elated, but the emotional crash is always right around the corner. I just needed to say this and you are the only people I know who can really understand. I'm not going to drink tonight. I'm just not going to do it. Sorry for being such a downer. Just having a rough night.
                Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess you are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for your shining example of
                  strength.
                  Keep up the good work Rahul. It is do worth a few moments of discomfort to wake up without a hangover.
                  Have a great af weekend everyone.
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess,
                    Sacred ground indeed. Glad you're there with an AF free head.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters. SD, nice to see you, thank you for the book recommendation and congrats on the new job!

Tess, thinking of you :h

Looking forward to a nice, sober Saturday today, I hope you all have one too, fellow nesters! :l
                      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning fellow nesters. It's day 7 for me and I'm still positive, actually more positive than earlier in the week. I posted a piece this morning in Relapse and Retrospective a post started by No Sugar. Whilst my own story is tame in comparison I think that the stories of how others have relapsed in their attempts for freedom from AL is essential reading for all of us who are in the early days. I couldn't find a way of providing a link but No Sugar has kindly put a link on page 3914 of this Newbies Nest thread. So if your interested just go back a few pages and you'll find the link to Relapse and Retrospect halfway down the page. Anyhow good day to you all and good luck for today.

Comment

Newbies Nest

gms thank you for sharing that. I have had al whispering in my ear from time to time (ha) that just a couple of beers now and then are no big deal.
                          What else is there to say? Hell no it isn't okay.
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters, happy Saturday to all!

Tess, you are in my thoughts, sending you strength :l

Wishing everyone a nice AF Saturday!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

GMS;1544785 wrote: Morning fellow nesters. It's day 7 for me and I'm still positive, actually more positive than earlier in the week. I posted a piece this morning in Relapse and Retrospective a post started by No Sugar. Whilst my own story is tame in comparison I think that the stories of how others have relapsed in their attempts for freedom from AL is essential reading for all of us who are in the early days. I couldn't find a way of providing a link but No Sugar has kindly put a link on page 3914 of this Newbies Nest thread. So if your interested just go back a few pages and you'll find the link to Relapse and Retrospect halfway down the page. Anyhow good day to you all and good luck for today.
                              Dear GMS,

Congratulations on a full week of success!

I just read your post in the other thread (https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ml#post1544774). Thank you for adding that to the collection of cautionary tales. It is a familiar one to many of us but unlike me, you remember dates and time frames. I find it really tough to sort out exactly when things changed.

I think your description of the lure (and almost inevitable consequences) of moderation captured the dilemma almost all of us struggle with perfectly. (I hope you don't mind that I brought part of your post here to this busier thread ).

GMS;1544774 wrote:
                              So I prepared to go sober in the New year (January 1st 2012) this time with the sole aim of moderating. This guy is dumb I can here you all saying. The thing is that there was a kind of war between the abstainers and moderators here on MWO at the time and I bought into the Mods thinking. I still maintain that until a person sees it for themselves you will never convince them that moderating is not an option. Sobriety is a destination but each individual needs to go through the stations before we reach it and some of us get off at the station called moderation. It looks like a good place from the train but only each individual can determine whats waiting in the ticket hall. I did three months clean as recommended on the modding site and then I began my well earned life as a normal drinker????
                              I started well just Friday and Saturdays but same old same old same old same old infinitum. By the end of April I was (6 til 11) seven days except Sundays, well......... You know that bit.
                              That just captures so well what we put ourselves through. The goal is to learn from others' experiences but it sure is tough to do.

It is so wonderful that you've decided that totally AF is best for you but you mention a looming problem:

On August 11th 2013 exactly 6 days and 10 hours ago I stopped drinking for good.

The bad news is and it's very bad, we're visiting my dear wife's family in Ireland next Tuesday. How's that for dumb planning.
                              Because a good AF period ended on a similar visit, I see why you are worried. Since it is very likely that backing out on this trip would be tough, you are going to need to have in place a really strong plan to make this a completely different experience. Do you have any thoughts on that yet?

Thanks for sharing your story, GMS, and I don't think you'll ever regret the choice you made a week ago. :goodjob:

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

CONGRATS to you GMS!
                                7 AF days = awesome
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X