Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone,

I'm still here, finished day 7, had the most amazing homemade Thai chicken salad for dinner that always makes me feel fresh, healthy and motivated. Partner still bought wine tonight, but I am continuing with the plan to focus on me. He and I are getting on well as normal, and we are talking about it openly and I am not pushing him. He is being so supportive of me I feel I can't let him down as well as myself, which is kind of weird since he is still drinking! But I'm not knocking the streak of motivation!

DD: I am so, so sorry to hear what you are going through. That is terrible to hear. I don't have much advice other than do what you can to look after yourself and if that means asking for more help than you already plan to, do it. You need all your strength to get through this.

Petrelhead: I am completely impressed, not just by your completion but by your time! I don't know a lot about this stuff but I do know that time is not that of an amateur runner. Well done! You are truly an inspiration. I never thought I would run but have become tempted in recent years - at the moment knee issues rule it out. You are a legend!

Icanwithoutacan: better to be back here than out there alone. Good luck for your new journey. You can't change the past, only the future, so don't bother dwelling on it except to learn from it

I know there are others here too - I hope you are all well.

Have a good MAE everyone (I am in Australia so for me it is evening).

TTBH xoxo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

DD, thinking of you & hoping you can get everything sorted out very soon. Glad you are checking in with us & feel safe posting here :l

Petrel, Congrats to you! I'm sure you must feel proud & you should

Ican, grab the butt Velcro & stay put!!!
      The majority of us just can't moderate, no matter how hard we try.

Greetings to everyone & sending wishes for a great AF Monday!
      I'm starting out with some exercise - yay!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
        DD, I am thinking of you constantly and wishing you strength. If it helps to talk about it here, we are all ears. Sending you my most heartfelt best wishes. Gentle hugs...

Petrel, International Man of Intrigue! Look at you and that marathon! Well done!! Keep up the great work!

TTBH!! 7 Days around here scores you a prize!! Nesters, please drop em for a quick moon shine!
        :moon:
        Those first 7 days are the hardest and they are now behind you! Here's to kicking AL's arse for a full week! Keep the streak going! We won't let you fall thru the cracks!

ICan, wonderful to see you back! Being a recovering alcoholic isn't the worst thing...NOT being one is!! Buckle in and leave AL in the past where it belongs! Nothing is improved by AL.

Busy day at work, so I will fly....wishing everyone an easy day. xo, Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

DD, you're in my prayers. I'm glad you can feel comfortable to post about what's going on with yourself. You're so strong and doing everything that you can to get through the most difficult time of your life. Keep communicating and talking with whomever you need to talk with. We know that when we're down and struggling that talking about it really helps. Hugs.

Petrel, congratulations on your marathon! And how great that you feel in such a great place now. I think having a goal like that makes all the difference. A physical goal. Then we can actually measure progress. I guess we can do that mentally as well. Look at how you didn't think about drinking to celebrate. That's definite progress. Congrats.

Pav, thanks for the Bubble Hour summary. Sounds like a great one to listen to.

Glad to see you back Ican!

TTBH, keep concentrating on yourself. Sounds like you're feeling great and you're making progress. Happy 7th to you!!! One full week!

Have a great super-sober day!
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ican!!! I am so happy to see you back in the Nest! Find your branch and if someone is sitting it, scoot them over and get cosy!!:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Travelling alone can be so boring. Coukd not sleep yesterday night due to travle, change in place, anxiety etc.

Really tired ... bangkok can be so boring I must say ...
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm not sure if I should post or not right now. I'm embarrassed to say, I messed up, even with my plan. I bought a 200 ml bottle of vodka and another 200 ml bottle of bourbon. Not the worst purchase I could have made (I usually bought a LOT more), but certainly worse than nothing. I'm still a little buzzed and I already regret it. I guzzled both those bottles down. I thought I would just have a little, here and there. What a crock! I suck. I'm sorry. I have nothing positive to contribute tonight. I just want to go to sleep and try again tomorrow.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lost - you just made a positive contribution that will help many realize how sneaky and devious al can be. Get some sleep. Update the plan - no al! Forgive yourself. Tomorrow will be better especially with no drinking. You can do this - it's soooooo worth it. And so are you!
                  Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Newbies Nest

LIS - Posting here after a slip is likely not easy, but I'm glad you did. Thanks for your honesty. Safe to say we've all slipped, so you're in the right place. Time to pick yourself up, hold your head high, learn what you can from this, and move forward. As BND says, tomorrow is a new day. Was there anything in particular that triggered you?

DD
                    - I'm so sorry to hear about your infection and increased pain. I know from experience how exhausting and draining it can be to have your life consumed by Dr appts, hospital visits, tests, etc. plus having significant pain and disability on top of that. Even asking others for help can take more energy than you have available. You are probably completely spent. Perhaps a return to the hospital would get you better treatment for the infection plus some added daily care for your general well-being.

We are all pulling for you. Sending you massive but gentle hugs :huggy
                    Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Petrel - Big congrats on your marathon! It is awesome to be AF and accomplish such a huge physical challenge - very inspiring.
                      Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Nest:

DD - sorry about your feeling so bad - seems like you got a lot of good advice already. I was thinking that maybe you would let a friend or family member visit just to help take care of you. No point in NOT asking for help - I know a lot of people want to know what to do and sometimes don't know how to go about offering, especially with something like Cancer. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Way to go, Petrel! Awesome to hear about how great you feel, and about the post-marathon celebration that was without alcohol. Can't wait to hear what's next...

Congratulations on your full moon, TTBH! As they say around here, now you have experienced every day of the week sober. No reason to go back.

LiS - sorry you drank -that can't feel good. I hope you re-vamp your plan and hop back in the nest ASAP. Try reading some of the tools in the toolbox if you want to know what a good plan looks like. I know there is one a few pages from the end that Byrdie posted that really helped me.

Sorry you're bored, Rahul. Hard to believe Bangkok can be boring, but I guess you've been there a lot so maybe it lost its charm?

I had a great day - beautiful weather and a long hike with my sister. Really enjoying my summer vacation at home!

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Well, day 1 of the current 3 day heat wave is done - I didn't melt

Lis, hope you are sleeping off the AL & get up ready to start again tomorrow. Now you know what happens when you listen to that shitty voice of AL telling you that 'just a little' is OK

Rahul, what can you do safely to relieve the boredom? Get your mind occupied with something, OK?

Pav, glad you are enjoying your stay-cation

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Use the butt Velcro if needed!!!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

LIS.... You will get to your final quit. Coming back here proves it. Like others have said, go through the toolbox and find what works for you. Don't let a day go by without checking in here. We will be watching for you!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul, I agree with Lav. Don't let yourself get too board. Read over the toolbox a bit. Get out for a little exercise maybe? Read a good book. Being alone is ok. Being alone with boredom sucks.

LIS, you will hopefully post here tomorrow and restart. I know you had a plan for after work. Maybe Plan B tomorrow? We've all been there, done that. We have to get back in the game of sobriety (no, not a game) ASAP.

Night all.
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good MAE Nesters!
                                I must have the slowest internet connection in the world!!

Last night I met a good friend for after work "drinks" at a caf?-- she is someone who knows I go through long periods without alcohol, so I knew there wouldn't be any pressure. What I noticed, and I've noticed it before with her and others, is that after 2 glasses of wine, the monologue began! I love her and care very much about her, but monologues, unless they are done by stand up comedians, are generally BORING!! I was home at 11 pm and am happy to say I was just GRATEFUL not to have or want to drink. I am aware that I am in the euphoric phase right now. I don't know exactly how to get myself ready for the upcoming difficult times, where I question everything, feel discontent, like I'm missing out on something. I am trying to keep it present in my mind, and I hope that by staying in the moment as much as possible, I'll catch the al voice sneaking up on me.

LIS, Jump right back in this morning-- try to learn from what happened. Why did you decide to buy AL? What could you have done differently to ride out the craving? Have a look in the toolbox for ways people have successfully "rode out the urge". From my past experience, just recently in fact, it is very important not to beat yourself up and to get TODAY, day 1, under your belt immediately. :l

Rahul, strength to you... If you're bored, you can write us a story about your experiences! I would love to hear more about Bangkok, especially about the food. Is this the first time you've been there sober? I can imagine lots of foreigners go there to party and drink up a storm-- which could be one of the reasons it's boring for you, I would guess.

ok, I'm out of here! It's raining cats and dogs and I'm not sure how I'm going to get to work!!! I'll surely figure it out. Wishing everyone a relaxed sober Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                                X