X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Top of the sunday morning to Nester's near and not so far,

Ava, you raawk!

Think positive y'all and make that decision to take back your precious life now, from the dark, downward, timewasting dead end spiral.

Wishing everyone a safe, sober and magical weekend. Passing the butt velcro to the left and to the right. Day 26. Yo!

G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Still Saturday evening here in this part of the world kids

Hope everyone had a great day, I did by not doing much at all :H
      Hobbling around on a slightly broken foot can wear you out (not to mention causing all kinds of aches & pains everywhere else)! It will get better, little by little.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.
      Hey G! You're pushing 30 days my friend

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all....need to read back, but have a slight problem

I've had a couple of high school friends request to meet up. I have no idea if they drink or not, but I really want to see them. Should I tell them before a meeting or should I just pretend it doesn't exists for me?

I don't drink and drive at all so if they invite me over there...I can;t drink. But, I'm not sure I want to share with these 'old' high school friends I am an alkie Advice?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Hope everyone had a safe night in the nest

Sarah, what you tell people is entirely your choice. Personally, I'd rather not open any topic for conversation that I'm not prepared to defend. Small 'white lies' come in handy in situations such as this

Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah- I've been using the excuse that I'm taking a prescription medicine for my back that my doctor said can be dangerous if mixed with AL (which was true at one point)...so maybe something like that would work for now...best wishes and happy AF Sunday everyone else
            “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all!
              My internet has been out! Talk about discombobulated! I had to get my news from TV!!!
              Sun is out, finally!!
              Sarah, maybe you can meet the high school folks for lunch? Or if you DO have to drive, tell them you don't drink and drive, that shouldn't be an issue at all, everyone 'gets' that.

Hope everyone has an easy day!! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Nest:

Ava - that was a splendiferous post to wake up to. REALLY wish I could fly to Melbourne on Dec. 1 and celebrate with you - I'd have to drag you on a walk on the beach and you'd have to drag me shopping. I'll bring Maddie a treat!

LavBlue - That idea of taking the choice off the table was important to me for sure. I was like the IRS - more loopholes in my rules than actual rules. Even though forever can be hard to look at, I had to take the not one, not ever stance with myself.

I've had a long, busy weekend surrounded by drinking but not drinking myself. I scheduled a massage for this evening - using the money I would have spent otherwise. What a much better deal for myself.

Happy sober Sunday, nest. Hold on tight.

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone! I had a nice evening with my children while my husband got tanked at the all day festival. It is a bit sad, and very motivating to see his hangover this morning. It is my little girl's 5th birthday today, and he feels yucky, is edgy and I can see the nausea coming off him, the brain moving really slow - GOD, why do that to yourself? He looks poisoned. He said "Man, I'm done with alcohol for awhile". I said - "the first two weeks are hard, but then it just starts to feel wonderful". I don't want to get into his "stuff" or seem above - good God it wasn't that long ago that it was me with hangovers (though I didn't frequently have one as bad as he has today). I just want to pay attention to myself, do my own work, and be glad I'm not in his shoes. I hope he notices that drinking less looks good on me and tries it himself. I'm bummed that he was selfish enough to be so out of it today

But - for me - sober, happy, balanced - I'm enjoying today.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday. The weather is beautiful here!

I will not drink today, NO MATTER WHAT. I am so very grateful to be sober! :h
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, all! I also had my internet die yesterday - Byrd if you have Charter than I gather it was a nationwide outage. Haven't checked the news on it today, but that's what I was hearing last night. A few of my friends figured out a workaround, but I figured one night sans internet probably wouldn't kill me.

I had a random panic out of nowhere last night because I've gained a couple pounds and somehow that surely means I'm deathly ill. (Logic!) But I reminded myself that I stopped drinking, my body feels weird because it's healing, and if I notice any actual symptoms that worry me I can see a doctor without being worried they're going to ask me how much I drink.

I'm also proud of myself because I thought I'd be ok with the house to myself this weekend, but I couldn't know for sure until it happened. I planned to be able to stay in all weekend, away from places to buy AL, so that helps too I'm sure. I am starting to smoke more than I'd like though, so I've got to start watching that I think. I do plan to quit that (again) once I feel like I can so no need to make it worse in the meantime.

Sarah - I agree with everyone else to say what you feel comfortable with. I'm an oddball since I stopped drinking while I was out a while ago (I just drank like, well, an alkie at home), so I got used to saying "Yeah, I can't man; health stuff." If anyone questioned more and I didn't want to get into it I told them that I'd always promised myself I'd stop if I started having health issues and then changed the topic. (which made me feel like Ms. Liar Liarpants at the time...but it actually did/does make sense without getting super into it with casual friends) If it helps, I can think of a decent amount of my friends who either have never wanted to drink or who quit for one reason or another so I don't think it's actually as uncommon as we all feel like it is. I like the health stuff explaination since it is actually true, plus if anyone teases or says you should have "just one" it sounds awful of them. Would you tell a diabetic to have "just one" piece of cake, dude?
                    I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                    AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kensho
                      That is great that you stay so strong while still being surrounded by all that..and it does also serve as a great example of what you're not missing too...
                      “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Spectacular day here in the sunny north. Life just gets better the longer you are AF, I promise!
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

LavBlue, I DO have Charter, I called the customer service numbers and they were ringing busy! ( usually get a phone tree). Interesting! Thanks for sharing that.
                          3June, GREAT to see you!!! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Nice day today & I love the cooler evenings

3June, great to see you!!!

Kensho, happy birthday to your daughter & congrats on being the sober one to help her celebrate - good for you!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest -hang on, you'll never regret kicking AL out of you life!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

I am travelling and over the weekend claimed mountains. I absolutely love mountain hiking. Being close to nature lovely scenery, its just great ! I will post some pictures on photo bucket. Was there with a colleague actually one of a key employee and while buy few beer cans for him I also bought AL free beer to give him company. As it turns its not AL free it has 0.5% AL ... Woa !! Its still lying there and ain't drinking. Am I scared hell not. Does it makes me nervous that I might repalse ... Maybe but main reason is why to drink ? What's good in it ? I does the enjoyment of hiking goes down ? The scenery which is a feat to eyes .... Do I need AL to enjoy it ? So why drink ? Even if its 0.5% !

Came yesterday night to lovely town of rapperswil which is actually another part of the country in switzerland. Checking into the same hotel where I had such great memories of early sobriety. I recall it was last year I was new on MWO and was on my 30 day or so here and was so loving it just the way I am loving it today. Was eating too much choloates ....

I dont smoke and I cannot associate and dont feel the need to move out of room for a smoke (like people do after lunch). This trip I am glad was getting the same feeling about AL.

It truley is great to be free .. Yesterday I climbed from a mountain peak called Rothorn to oberrothorn . its supposed to be highest summer hike in Europe way above 3000 meters. Being of top had such a wonderful feeling freedom. It was like similar to the feeling of freedom from AL ! I was on top and coukd see the world below. But there were so many higher mountain peaks to climb. Similarly with 6 months on sobriety I feel similar being on top of the world with more miles stone to achive . I also see world below of other alcoholics and one day they told will reach top and see clear blue sky and sharp sun !

Last time I was in Zermatt I have memories of drinking . while walking thru the town I could remember myself as I was last time thursty like a dog doing pub hopping ... This time it felt so different and free ...

I have in past one year re written so many travel memories of mine ... Erased my drinking memories and reforged new and better ones. This has been an important step in recovery too ....

Still more travelling to come ... Take care all and be sober ... Will post some pics for you all folks
                              Rahul
                              --------------------------------------------
                              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                              Rebooting ... done ...
                              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

I am travelling and over the weekend claimed mountains. I absolutely love mountain hiking. Being close to nature lovely scenery, its just great ! I will post some pictures on photo bucket. Was there with a colleague actually one of a key employee and while buy few beer cans for him I also bought AL free beer to give him company. As it turns its not AL free it has 0.5% AL ... Woa !! Its still lying there and ain't drinking. Am I scared hell not. Does it makes me nervous that I might repalse ... Maybe but main reason is why to drink ? What's good in it ? I does the enjoyment of hiking goes down ? The scenery which is a feat to eyes .... Do I need AL to enjoy it ? So why drink ? Even if its 0.5% !

Came yesterday night to lovely town of rapperswil which is actually another part of the country in switzerland. Checking into the same hotel where I had such great memories of early sobriety. I recall it was last year I was new on MWO and was on my 30 day or so here and was so loving it just the way I am loving it today. Was eating too much choloates ....

I dont smoke and I cannot associate and dont feel the need to move out of room for a smoke (like people do after lunch). This trip I am glad was getting the same feeling about AL.

It truley is great to be free .. Yesterday I climbed from a mountain peak called Rothorn to oberrothorn . its supposed to be highest summer hike in Europe way above 3000 meters. Being of top had such a wonderful feeling freedom. It was like similar to the feeling of freedom from AL ! I was on top and coukd see the world below. But there were so many higher mountain peaks to climb. Similarly with 6 months on sobriety I feel similar being on top of the world with more miles stone to achive . I also see world below of other alcoholics and one day they told will reach top and see clear blue sky and sharp sun !

Last time I was in Zermatt I have memories of drinking . while walking thru the town I could remember myself as I was last time thursty like a dog doing pub hopping ... This time it felt so different and free ...

I have in past one year re written so many travel memories of mine ... Erased my drinking memories and reforged new and better ones. This has been an important step in recovery too ....

Still more travelling to come ... Take care all and be sober ... Will post some pics for you all folks
                                Rahul
                                --------------------------------------------
                                Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                                Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                                Rebooting ... done ...
                                Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Working...
                                X