Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
    Lav, I couldn't see my signature line or anyone else's until I went into SETTINGS and turned that feature on. Yours is appearing for me, tho! Just check or uncheck that box relating to signatures appearing in your posts.
    Eloise, I can't turn our site sideways on my ipad and see it bigger and I can't use my pinch finger feature to increase or decrease it either. I should mention that on the Uh Oh thread. I'm just going to start complaining about all these things because if this site is hard to use, people aren't going to use it! (we all lose!)
    Oen, good luck with your plan!
    Yoga, great to see you.
    Pav, always a pleasure!
    Lav, rain, huh? I'm telling you, you should move!
    Love to all! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Eloise;n2514860 wrote:

I think you are right Matt! I have been a bit mia BUT have seen how great you are doing and am so pleased for you!
      Makes a world of difference huh?
      Eloise;n2514862 wrote:
      Oh whoops - u are not a zero! I misinterpreted your post... Please dont get me wrong! You ARE doing magically!
      Thanks Eloise! I knew what you meant.
      AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;n2514902 wrote: Good Morning, Nesters!
        Lav, I couldn't see my signature line or anyone else's until I went into SETTINGS and turned that feature on. Yours is appearing for me, tho! Just check or uncheck that box relating to signatures appearing in your posts.
        Eloise, I can't turn our site sideways on my ipad and see it bigger and I can't use my pinch finger feature to increase or decrease it either. I should mention that on the Uh Oh thread. I'm just going to start complaining about all these things because if this site is hard to use, people aren't going to use it! (we all lose!)
        Oen, good luck with your plan!
        Yoga, great to see you.
        Pav, always a pleasure!
        Lav, rain, huh? I'm telling you, you should move!
        Love to all! Byrdie

Well Byrdie I was just sitting here thinking 'i guess I will have to spend some serious time on here to figure out 'where the ____ everything is?"
        At least the lag time has improved. It has been taking so long to load pages I just gave up.
        In general I cannot figure out where anything is and been so busy at home w/my art program I am not inclined to sit here trying to troubleshoot things.
        I will subscribe once the site is running smoother and I am confident that will indeed happen. Thanks for the tip to flip the iPad.

Please do consider me still on day 7 PP duty.
        I am just not contributing much for obvious reasons, but I am with you all in spirit!!
        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Newbies Nest

Howdy and GMAE everyone..Awesome progress Oenphile, tests are everywhere, we just need to keep fighting them off. My work environment is a constant test for me nowadays. We have a guy in our small group here out on long term leave (he has stage 3+ stomach cancer and is really struggling so it really puts things in perspective and helps me be grateful for what I have, but makes me sad for him and his family) , but in turn I am now spending more hours at work to cover for him , especially more hours with my a-hole boss who I can?t stand. He is such an a-hole now that it makes me want to drink EVERY day. I know if I drink though, it certainly won?t him less of an a-hole, but would probably make me more of one. I don?t need that, so fighting on I continue. Tests, they are everywhere?. Hope everyone else is staying strong and AF?.Take care?
          “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

See the Light;n2514938 wrote: Howdy and GMAE everyone..Awesome progress Oenphile, tests are everywhere, we just need to keep fighting them off. My work environment is a constant test for me nowadays. We have a guy in our small group here out on long term leave (he has stage 3+ stomach cancer and is really struggling so it really puts things in perspective and helps me be grateful for what I have, but makes me sad for him and his family) , but in turn I am now spending more hours at work to cover for him , especially more hours with my a-hole boss who I can’t stand. He is such an a-hole now that it makes me want to drink EVERY day. I know if I drink though, it certainly won’t him less of an a-hole, but would probably make me more of one. I don’t need that, so fighting on I continue. Tests, they are everywhere…. Hope everyone else is staying strong and AF….Take care…
            Good job STL! You're so close to 2 months! I don't think of things like trouble at your job as a test. I think of it as life. There is always going to be something coming your way that isn't perfect. There will always be something bringing stress into your life, whether good or bad stress. Instead of medicating that stress with alcohol we must find a new way of dealing with it. What are you currently doing to alleviate stress in your life? Do you exercise or mediate? Do you kick box and imagine you're beating the stuffing out of your a-hole boss? LOL. These challenge will always be there, you just need to establish a new routine to living your life and letting go.

Comment

Newbies Nest

STL, As I go down the road of life, there are a couple of truism's I have found and one relates to a-holes!
              An Asshole is an Asshole is an Asshole. You cannot change them, this is a personality trait and no amount of nuthin can fix it. Accept it and move along! (this is after 27 years of trying to change an asshole customer, however I see in my inbox as we speak, as asshole comment from him.) It is what it is! xo
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Howdy All! Thanks Byrdie for the 50 day shout out. I would have never believed I would get to this day, just one year ago!

Thanks to Pavati for the reminder that we have to actively work on sobriety. Every day. I have changed my habits regarding drinking (i.e. it is easier not to reach for the drink at every situation I used it for), but I can see that checking in every day - more than once will be very important to maintain this long term.

Thank you all for being here and listening and working hard on beating the beast. I can honestly say that it has become INFINITELY easier at 50 days than it was at 30. That much more of a reason to STAY QUIT - and do whatever it takes.

Think of something you are grateful for today and know that happiness is not in a bottle!!
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

FlyAway- Thanks and great points/ questions. By “test” in this context I am really just referring to the triggers that make us want to drink, even though we know we shouldn’t. For me, that is mostly anger. Many of us here have one or more “reasons” why we drink/drank such as anxiety/stress, sadness/depression, boredom, anger, etc. (and I have been triggered by all of these at some point as I’m guessing others have). But I agree, none of the are good reasons, because the AL doesn’t solve any of them long term. That is Life. And people who are not alcoholics cope with life’s struggles without thinking of or turning to AL (because it surely is not medicine)…but for us (especially those in earlier stages of being AF) AL is the 1st thing we think of. I hope those feelings fade over time, but for now I struggle to fight them off each and every time, because in the past I hadn’t done that and it just did me no good. I do exercise at night, take some calming natural supplements and try to sleep more now since I have quit drinking, but often in the moment, It seems like more is needed. By the time I calm done I know I need to do something to keep the AL voices away, but these “triggers” do seem to happen so fast that the battle seems easy to lose. Maybe I should meditate though…I’ve never actually tried that, but I guess it probably does fight some demons (or help me not want to punch my a-hole boss as much)….:eeks:

Edit- Oh, and thanks Byrdie...truer words were never spoken...
                  “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

How's is everyone . I have not been regular here. Came out of town for a conference and some time meeting so many people Can become tiring. In the evening came out to an Irish bar to enjoy some good music and iced cappuccino. The place is inviting not coz of the taps but the place still feels like home. Am is behind me and no wording sitting on the bar table enjoying refreshing coffee made at its best.

Some of the new projects I have been working for since past several months is at a critical juncture and it may not click.
                    This could be a huge disappointment at a personal level as I had worked so much on it . I will only come to know about it tomorrow.

I also met another customer of mine whom I entertained in Germany about 3 months ago while I was my initial glory days of the sobriety. Brought back some good memories.

I plan on catching a movie tonight ...

Take care
                    Rahul
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                    Rebooting ... done ...
                    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

*runs in, late but still sober*

Hey all; just return of the sleep problems - I figured that would happen, though. Couldn't get to sleep til nearly 7am and then slept right through my alarm. It *will* pass though; or at least get back to normal "quitting AL" levels of insomnia.

Coughy and slightly irritable, but again I knew that was coming with the smoke quit so all there is to do is push through. I know from last time that both will pass, so just drinking lots of water, staying busy, and being kind to myself while I ride it out. It also helps to remember that I *am* irritable - some of the things that bug me I'm remembering not to take my own perspective as necc being a fair one!

Gambler - I love my pets and both my current dog and my last dog have gotten me through so many rough time. The caveat is always that they are a LOT of work to take care of properly. I don't recall reading if you've owned a dog before or not though, so could be you already know what you're getting into. I know I thought I knew before my first dog (I was working at a pet supply store, I had all kinds of information through my job!), but it was still quite a lifestyle change when I actually brought him home. This one was mostly trained when I adopted him, but he still has his days where he's being pesty or otherwise misbehaves. The big brat. :P

I hope you and the ex can sort things out - I can only speak from the perspective that my parents were divorced when I was quite young and it made a world of difference to me that they actively tried to make sure they didn't make us "pick sides" or anything rotten like that. (I didn't realize that was something they had to actively work on until I was much older, of course.) My dad was a still-drinking alcoholic when they split up; I'm sure there was a lot going on in the background that I never knew about.

Yogamom - Good to see you, and glad to hear you're still pushing through!

And, I've got to run here. Making dinner tonight so I've got to see about getting ready to do that. Have a great Af day, all!
                      I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                      AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

I totally get the anger trigger. I'm a punch you in the throat, ask questions later kind of gal. For me, there have been a couple times I've wanted to have an F U drink at my husband. I resisted the urge and embraced my anger and stubbornness. I am currently reading "How your mind can heal your body". I think Pav or Lava (they say memory is the first to go) gave me a link to it. I really am learning a lot and enjoying this book. I downloaded some guided imagery CD's. It is amazing what just focused breathing can do to calm the mind. I am learning to just shut down and breathe rather than having enough anger to pick up my car and throw it at people.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi fellow nesters! With combining for 16-18 hours a day, it doesn't give much time for anything else but sleep, when I do get cell service out here in the field, it usually doesn't last long! I've been trying to follow the posts as best as I can, and promise to be a regular contributor after harvest is finished! And I read that the site will be down for a week starting Monday so I figured I'd better check in with a promise to stay af! One thing long days on the combine do is give me lots of time to resume what I used to love to do, write cowboy poetry....and if you all don't mind the musings of an old cowboy like me, I'll find the time or make it, to post one in the morning.

Have a great day my friends, and remember, steer clear of the bad stuff eh!!
                          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

We will look forward to your musings, Cowboy!!
                            I just read RJ's update also, i hate we will be down for a week but if the site will be better, it will be worth it.

NS, i wonder if we can use nursies site as a stop gap?
                            Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

A week in the big scheme of things if this site works better will be well worth it Byrd. I am over not finding anything and this site lagging but i live in hope that eventually all will be sorted out.

I did think of offering an email address if anyone feels wobbly but god forbid i can get a pm off anyone these days. What was the site the site nursie had? Cant remember for the life of me.
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

This is the site Nursie set up: http://steppingforward.proboards.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X