Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank YOU Pine!
    You know, sometimes I find the big events 'easier' to not drink at because I have a plan in place. Its when I don't have a plan or I am bored or alone thats when my brain starts going there. Hmmm. ...a glass of wine would be good. But then I think, I can't have ONE glass of wine and I don't drink! Its off the table (Pav)

We are all here for each other, thanks for being here Pine cone!

Hope everyone is having a sober Thanksgiving.

Off to Yoga now.
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Its Friday here and looking forward to so me ME time over the weekend.

Hope you all check in with how great your day was sober.

Matt hang in there buddy, you dont want the wrath of Linda coming down on you.

3 more sleeps for me and im getting pretty damn excited!
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Ava my day is going great. Beautiful day here. We went for a motorcycle ride and getting ready to eat soon.
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

AVA - That BIG day is coming up!!!! One year is a powerful milestone. Hope you don't mind if I let loose early with a few pre-celebration horns and such!

:horn::bouncy::celebrate:
          Sober for the Revolution!
          AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Way to go you ole Softy! That is a good idea, designated driver.
            Ill be that on Sat. night.

Turn, glad you are starting the celebration for our beautiful AVA!!

Lil B, glad you are doing well. The motorcycle ride sounds fun. Its snowing here so no Motorcycle riding....but there is a nice fireplace, my hubby, dog and The Game of Thrones to be watched. Life is pretty wonderful!

The walk home in -11C windchill might be a tad chilly though. OK, OK, I am a little jealous of the motorcycle ride!

Talk later,
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I survived! It was actually nice! And yes, we ate on folding tables without a tablecloth!

Evan, I say strike while the iron is hot. That is, quit now while your resolve is strong. You will be amazed at where you will be next week if you quit today. I have only seen a couple folks have REAL withdrawals, they drank massively more than most of us do. I know that voice that says you want to be safe, but that voice will keep you from starting. If you start today, by Monday the worst will be over. When is the best time to quit? Right now. Just my 2 cents, I know the alkie brain very well....why do today what can be put off til next week? The only catch is tomorrow never comes. You have a holiday weekend to stay glued in here and get on your feet! Sometimes, you just gotta take a leap of faith.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful day! Hugs to all! Byrdie
              Last edited by Byrdlady; November 28, 2014, 09:39 AM.
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Happy thanksgiving everyone. Beautiful sober day. Seems like every holiday or special occasion I find myself getting high, don't plan it just happens. My wife sometimes hates when something is around the corner. Cause I screw up seems like almost every time. Not this time. I feel great. Good deal on spilling your last beer, pinecone
                Last edited by Mr. B; November 27, 2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Back home and snuggled in for the night. What a nice day. My sons are happy and healthy. My parents smiled a lot once my brother arrived. He and I had a long talk right before I left. He started the conversation, so it was just that much better. We both agreed that it's time to get real about things. We talked about how our family hasn't exactly excelled in that area, but it's never too late to try. He is sad. He told me he wasn't sure if he would be here next Thanksgiving, and was glad that we had such a good time today. Oh, and he hasn't lost his sense of humor. Made a joke as I was leaving that goes back to childhood. Something only he and I share. Funny, comforting, and bittersweet. I had to laugh even though I was crying.

Tonight, I just feel grateful - about everything. I got to spend a drama-free day with my family. And my brother and I are getting closer again. It just doesn't get any better than that. Hope everyone is doing well.

edit: R4L, welcome. Glad you've decided to give AL the boot once and for all. I can see you've posted in the past, but I'm not sure that we've met yet. Looking forward to getting to know you better. The nest is a bit quiet today, but it will pick up soon.

Ava - only a few more days to your anniversary. I am so proud of you. I remember when we started this journey together, and while I've zigzagged over the past year, you've stayed on a straight course. Inspiring. xoxoxox
                  Last edited by MossRose; November 27, 2014, 08:45 PM.
                  Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving all! My second AF thanksgiving. Yes I truely do have much to be thankful for. Hope everyone is doing well. Evan. I'm with Byrdie. No time like the present. Its scarey I know but tomorrows tend to multiple. I spent the better part of my adult life waiting for tomorrow. I'm wishing you the best.

Time to roll my stuffed body to bed. Happy day all.
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by Evan W View Post
                      Wow, thanks for all the support from everyone. I will do the MYO download and yes I have a very supportive al-anon wife, who has been waiting for this for years. So a week from tomorrow this plan goes into action, due to work I'm afraid to start until I can take time off if needed. So I'll read the program and pray and worry until then. Glad to have found this group and thanks again.

EW
                      Evan W,
                      glad you are here! I don't know much about the withdrawal stuff. I drank very heavily the last time for about 5 years. High blood pressure and other stuff as well. The only withdrawal things I encountered were mental.... the tug of war to have a drink/not to have drink. I found it very helpful to daily check in to the Roll Call thread in the "Just Starting Out" section. It makes you accountable. I found as I went along that posting I was alcohol free early helped me stay that way.

At the bottom of any post by Byrdlady you'll find links to "Newbie Nest" which of course is here and the "Tool Box", which is a great place to read if you're in a weak spot. I can't say it enough: read and be educated with what you are dealing with. Alcohol wants you to lose, it wants to be drunk , it wants you drunk and guess what, these simple easy trick is, you have a choice not to.

Stay close and enjoy regaining you back. Have a great T-Day
                      Sam
                      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Good evening, Nesters...just a quick pop-in to wish all well, with hopes that everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving was able to get through it AL-free. Like a lot of you, this was my first al-free Thanksgiving since I was a child. I've hosted Thanksgiving for many, many years for our family, and I have to say that this day was absolutely the most that I've ever enjoyed this holiday! Others drank - a few got sloppy (including my DH, who has very low tolerance and was stress-drinking), but most just had 1-2 glasses of wine. I was surprised and excited to discover that without any AL in my life, stress barely even registered on the scale for me today. And, the food was actually served on time....I remember everything...my kitchen is clean...and no headaches tomorrow morning.

I hope others are doing well and had a great day.

Ava - so glad you are sleeping! Hang in there!

:happy2:
                        Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,
                          Glad to see so many checking in & reporting an AF holiday - the first of many to come! Congrats to everyone!

Welcome back R4L, get your plan together & let us know how you are doing.

Evan, glad to see you back & please remember we are happy to help with suggestions & answer questions. We all want to see you succeed & meet your goals!

Wishing everyone a safe & peaceful night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US. And a wonderful day to all. So much to be grateful for. Stuffed ans sober, check. Made it through my first major holiday AF, check. Thankful for MWO, all of your support, and paying it forward. Check, check, check!
                            Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                              Happy thanksgiving to all my friends in the U.S. of A. and everyone elsewhere who celebrates it. No thanksgiving massacre k? k. lol.

Take it easy out there. Everything is amazing, and everything will be okay. G
                              Thank you Mr. G. :hug: Our lives are a lot better with you in it! :heartbeat:
                              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Checking in FULL and sober (I just HAD to taste all three of the pies we baked).

I injured myself playing football in the street with my flats on - no hiking for the rest of the weekend (and maybe longer - we'll see).

I forgot about the one a$$hole family member who can be a pompous jerk - how I forgot, I have no idea. But he was a pompous jerk - and he's getting worse as he gets older.

BUT...

I am very thankful for a wonderful evening.

I had a great time playing football and have added another non-alcohol event to the family traditions. A slight injury is a small price to pay.

If I assume the pompous jerk means well, I can blame some of his behavior on his extreme loneliness since being widowed, and his upbringing as the prince of the family. I DO believe he means well (some of the time).

Mossy, I am so glad it went well with your brother!

Pepper - sounds like a lovely evening.

Evan - I agree - take the plunge asap. I don't know how much you drink, but there are safe ways to taper if it is a lot, or if you are worried about withdrawal. I speak from experience - if you don't strike while the iron is hot and you're ready to go, it might not happen next week.

R4L - GREAT to see you. I hope you stick close here to the nest. Like Sam, I got a lot of posting on the Roll Call for a long while. I am a counter by nature and loved watching the days add up.

Mr. B - Way to go. Those corners become less scary each one you pass.

Good night, everyone. Glad to see so many sober people check in, but if you did drink, come back ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                                X