Quick Check in for me.
    1. I'm still Sober
    2. It's still Raining
    That's all for now. ..

Stay hard my friends
    AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Checking in from Providence, RI!! All good so far. Had some flashbacks of playing hide and seek in the ladies' room on the way in....5 years ago Id have been sneaking vodka in the stalls all along the way. Hallelooya that wasnt me today! Stay strong everyone, its not always easy but it is always worth it!! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Matt M. View Post
        Quick Check in for me.
        1. I'm still Sober
        2. It's still Raining
        That's all for now. ..

Stay hard my friends
        Matt, I've been watching the Texas flooding on the Weather Channel. Holy cow, that's a lot of rain. Please stay safe.

Byrdie, wishing you a great trip. I'm trying to soak in some of those Chesapeake waves vicariously...ahhh! I'll be flying into Norfolk and driving south to the Outer Banks next week. 'Just LOVE the rolling surf, sand between one's toes and dazzling peach and slate-gray sunrises. Enjoy!
        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hanna, you are doing great, hang in there. I know you want to but it's just not possible to fix everything all at once. Your quit has to first & foremost, the rest will follow :hug:

Matt, thinking about you - stay safe!

Lil, you're going to be an east coast girl next week, awesome

Byrdie, have a great time, take pics for us!

Had a good day with no little kids in sight, ha ha!
          Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

Where is everyone??
            Have a great AF Saturday, I'll check in later

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning, Lav and all the nesters. 'Having a great AF Saturday. Arose at 4:45 am for an early skate, which was wonderful. Now, I'm sipping some freshly ground mocha coffee and watching the cat yawn and stretch with his tongue curled. I have a few hours of work ahead today because I took some time off to relax and be a slackard yesterday. It's nice to do that occasionally -- just put everything aside and wear a dent in your favorite armchair.

Tomorrow, we'll kayak the Ca Delta. I may try to get some fishing in, but whatever I catch won't be 20 lbs.! I usually spend most of the time bird watching and just pedaling around (my kayak has foot pedals like a recumbent bike).

Wishing you all a great weekend!
              "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Hi nesters

A check in for you Lav.

Been a busy week with me, long commutes due to accidents and work has been mad and its getting cold. Other than that totally sober, no thoughts of it and thats a great feeling. 17 months tomorrow sober. My daughter stayed last night and i just told her and she just said "wow who would have thought". I still think that, but god my life has changed for the better now. I remember when i started and i wondered how others got such big numbers and i wondered if i ever would not look at billboards, tv shows, social events, ads where al was in them and not want a drink and i can happily say that those days are long gone.

I was watching a show on morbidly obese people the other day who are addicted to food and a young girl said that after she had the surgery she thought things would be fine but found that her emotions were all out of whack as she had to deal without food as her shield against the world and face reality. It reminded me of what us alcoholics have to do also and that at the end of the day whatever we are addicted to we have to travel the same road to succeed.

A quiet day for me, aggravated my back which has been wonderful for a couple of years. So many plans but not going to happen.

Hope you are enjoying your much needed holiday Byrd.

Take care everyone xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Nesters,

How's everyone. I have been utterly busy due to the work as well due to the fact that I am also a lot did organized in personal life. I have always been like that never used to carry pen in school even today my desktop in office is a disaster. Being self employed I dont have restriction on time. I wish I can make myself more organized so that I have more time and can post more.

Am going on a long vacation cum work trip! NJ, CA, AZ then Canada. Starting tomorrow. The iorny is I do better time management when I travel. This is my be because meeting timings aee fixed so are flight timings.

Ava, you are so right when u say that addiction can be used as a shield. I have been eating wy too much now a days. Not good at al and I feel bad, guilty. And it does reminds me of my AL days.

Good night have a flight to catch tomorrow long one to east coast
                  Rahul
                  --------------------------------------------
                  Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                  Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                  Rebooting ... done ...
                  Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Checking in; tired but proud of myself. I've had a few things happen in the last 24 hours that are really tough drinking triggers for me. My mother and I got into an argument last night. When I got to work I found out that the first cat I got to name is sick enough that we're going to have to euthanize him. And worst, a few people from my past showed up at work - these are folks that I've tried to keep out of my life, family members from that really horrible relationship. I don't run into them often, but when I do my brain always wants to panic from the memories that come back and also not knowing how to react to them since they still want to be friendly with me and don't seem to understand that relationship and the drama of their family drove me to an actual breakdown a few years back. I still get actual panic attacks if I think about running into the ex ever again, running into the family isn't much better. And drinking was literally the only way I knew to deal with any of that for years; I've been pretty nervous about this happening because I know how badly it messes with my head.

Anyway. My point is I made it through the rest of the day at work and I didn't drink after work. I knew I was going to have the house to myself which makes it double dangerous, but I put all of my thought towards picking up food after work and getting home to the dog. It's always easier for me when I'm very full, then after that I focused on making a couple cups of tea. I'm so tired, mostly emotionally, but I think I'm going to be ok.

Drinking would NOT have made any part of the day better and more importantly, no matter what my brain thinks, I don't NEED Al to be able to calm down. I can calm myself in other ways. I'm posting in case it helps anyone else, I suppose. AL wants you to think you literally can't handle things without it, but that's a lie, no matter how true it sounds.
                    I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                    AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Oh, and one more thing on a happier note! Byrd, I lived in Rhode Island for a few years as a child; we were in Lincoln, RI but I vaguely remember Providence. Hope you're enjoying your trip, I've always mean to get back out that way sometime. I seriously miss the seafood!
                      I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                      AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

It has been a beautiful and interesting trip! So much history! Gorgeous scenery! Weather picture perfect. We are pooped! N had. Toast at my table and I raised my glass with the best of them! With water! Here's to being sober! Hope everyone had a great day! Byrdie
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see some others show up - I was getting kinda lonely

Lil, enjoy your kayak trip - sounds like fun. I love watching the birds too, go figure!

Rahul, wishing you a safe trip. Boy, that is a lot of flying!

LavB, the longer you are sober the stronger & more confident you will become, honestly. Don't let those people throw you off balance. You are doing well, you know it & we do too

Byrdie, glad you are having a good time!

Ava, great on your AF time lady! Sorry about your back, take care of yourself.

I went & bought more plants from my local Amish farmer today - it's like an addiction, ha ha!!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Off to Boston! Got a good night's sleep and ready for sightseeing! Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good Sunday morning Nesters,

Have a great day seeing the sights in Boston Byrdie

Another hot & humid day in progress here. Makes me extremely grateful for the AC

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi all, Ava,was thinking about the show you were watching about the morbidly obese people, we have a similar series here and I always watch it and was pondering over which I'd rather deal with, being trapped in a huge body not even able to go to the bathroom by myself, wash myself, leave bed,etc,or trapped in the grip of a horrible alcohol problem? They're both very similar to me,both are being stuck in a prison, wondering how you let yourself get so and they're both a mental thingie, I guess as alkies we're lucky cuz we can just avoid booze, they can't avoid food,dunno what I'm trying to say,just thinking out loud, it was just interesting you brought that show up
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X