No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kherriot I like a nice cup of tea when I'm feeling down too. Getting lost in a silly book. Doing a jigsaw puzzle. A funny show on television. All guaranteed to be guilt free the next day.
    Beautiful cake Byrdie.
    Ava the dragon lady.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Thanks LB....I hope all the new newbies read the posts because it really does help. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for me to get back here but it is always uplifting and helpful.

Thanks to everyone.
      KAREN

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

Happy Father's day to those celebrating today

Glad you are OK Karen, glad you reached out last evening.
        We need to keep reminding ourselves that turning to AL for comfort in an uncomfortable situation is no longer an option. We are forging new pathways in our brains, making new & better habits. It's a process & it takes a while but you will all get there, promise

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Great cake, Byrdie. Almost too pretty to eat...almost.

Lav, I adore Golden Retrievers but what a handful they can be! When I was a kid, the female of our pair had 16 puppies in one night. We eventually found homes for all of them but in the meantime, our house was in a constant state of wild, friendly chaos. The Christmas tree lasted only about one hour. Hope you survive the visit with your breakables intact.

Kherriot, good for you for posting instead of hitting the club in your housecoat. 'Wise decision on so many levels.

'Kayaking today and trying to learn the difference between storks, cranes and herons (not that it really matters in the eternal scheme of things). Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday!
          "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Morning everyone! Karen, how did the evening go? Stayed in your housecoat I hope! Hubby is home today for you, so that should help. I know being alone used to be a ticket for me to drink, now I use my alone time to read/post! And I agree that everyone needs to stay close to where ever they are getting their support, as Matt says "I'm a 100% certain we can't do this on our own"! The forum seems to slow a bit on the weekends, but that's a great time for the newcomers to read and post, easier to get caught up on everything without having to follow fast moving threads!

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good morning, Nesters!
              Thank you for the cake accolades. This is something that I would have had NO initiative to do if I were still drinking. I just about lost all of my motivation to try anything new. Plus I was sluggish all the time on weekends due to the fact I would start drinking at 10:30 am! I wasn't even driving on weekends there at the end. What a self imposed prison I was in. I enjoy trying new things now and these cakes bring joy to others so I like that a lot. Imagine the look on someones face when you present them with a cake for no reason!! (Especially little kids, who arent afraid to show it) Its priceless! This helped me a LOT in the beginning...putting myself on a task and seeing it thru to the end.

Happy Fathers Day to all our Dads out there. Hope its a great day for all! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Checking in after a Hellacious 48 Hr shift. Because of people, not all but mostly stupid people my job security will never be threatened.
                Looking forward to a much needed day of nothing and hanging with my family.
                If you have a dad around hug his neck, miss my dad everyday, but especially days like today.
                Not going to sit around and feel sorry for myself, instead be grateful for the time I had with him, and strive to continue the legacy of being the man he was in hopes that my boys will follow suit.
                A special Stay Hard to all the Dad's in our little sober living family.....
                AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Hey all, finally checking in again. I've wound up working more than expected, since an employee had to leave kind of abruptly. It's good for me - for once going to work makes me feel better about where my life is instead of worse - but it's still a lot of work, and a lot to get my body used to. I haven't had a super physical job in longer than I'd realized. It feels so good to come home exhausted from work though, NOT because I'm killing myself with drinking all the time.

Even when I don't post anything, I do still read every day though; and I always send good thoughts towards newbies and oldies (? lol) alike. Getting sober hasn't been easy, but it's been quite possibly the best thing I've ever done for myself. Every day, I feel like I'm getting just a bit better at handling life on its terms instead of having to run, and hide, and be scared to deal with it full on.
                  I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                  AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Hi all - Byrdie - you have some awesome posts. Self-imposed prison. So true. Thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Quick check in from me again.

Happy SOBER Sunday. Yesterday was very annoying to me because I had to do a bunch of things I didn't want to do and didn't think I should have to do. But I did them, and I had a great 9 hour sleep, and now I'm having a lazy Sunday.

Welcome, Mitchy. Hope you join us here.

Lil - Have a great day kayaking - the weather from up here looks really good.

Byrdie - AMAZING cake. I have a colleague who started working with cake/fondant and he loves it. I'm impressed.

Ava - I know it is a pain, but SO great to have so many family and friends, right?

Glad you made it through your shift, Matt. What a tough job you have.

LC, are you around?

Hanna - that must be a difficult situation - I hope you get some time away.

Kherriot - VENT away - that's what we're here for. Not venting can lead to a trip to the bar, housecoat or not.

I know I am missing some of you - Happy SOBER Sunday.

Pav

Comment

Thanks ABC, stayed in my housecoat and then went to bed. Things are better today just getting ready for hubby to get home. Busy day tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday. 1 year death of hubbies mom. could be a hard one but I am sure we will get through it. :happy2:
                        KAREN

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                          Welcome, Mitchy! You're doing it right if you're here to get some support to stop drinking :smile:!
                          Then I am! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that replied to me so quickly, really wasn't expecting that. Sorry if there's a bit of a delay, but I'm in Scotland.

I was pointed to this website by a friend of mine, looks good so far, haven't drank in 26 hours, but still feeling like battering down the walls of my local shop. Won't though!

(I often use "comedy" as a coping mechanism, sorry if I tell more terrible jokes on my journey)

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Finally had a sunny & rain free day, appropriately warm & humid on this first day of summer

mitchy, good for you getting that first AF done - it's the hardest!
                              Use your comedy to help you stay focused & relaxed on your journey.

Glad to see folks doing well & moving forward

The Goldens were rather well behaved today, I hope it lasts the rest of the week, ha ha1
                              Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Today sucked. Glad it is over. Nuf said

Comment

Working...
                                X