No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking forward to celebrating Freedom day. This will be my 3rd. I love the feeling of being free from all the negative things alcohol brings into our lives.
    G congratulations on day 14. Yor can celebrate your own freedom day on Saturday.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Just looking back at my join date. 6-26-2012. Just over three years ago, after lurking for a bit.
      Still have not got my s**t together. Time to stop wasting time. Way too many wasted days. yes, that can be taken two ways.

Comment

Thank you, G. That was constructive and informative without being in-your-face. My stubborness does not help my uphill battle. I will be checking into your links and other useful tips. Thanks again!
        "Don't be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others".
        “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi, Nest:

I see everyone is busy with bears, storms and sober revelations.

Enzo's Mom - Thoughts are not facts. That took me some time to even understand, much less take in as a part of my life. Such an important idea to me both in staying sober and in growing up (here in my 40s!). Glad you're feeling so strong. I had a long flat period from about 4 to 7 months where I didn't want to drink necessarily but I had a lot more woe is me moments. I am happy to say that ended at about month 8 sober. Not sure how you're feeling.

My thing with three day holidays was drinking during the day - slow and steady all day - and then waking up at 2 in the morning with anxiety and not being able to sleep. What an awful feeling. I am SO glad I don't have to go there again. Yes, Freedom Day, LB. My second.

Ava - So sorry you're not feeling well. I have been anxious lately, too, after feeling very well for a long time. I feel a lack of control over a certain situation, and it is getting to me. Happy 19 months, and while I know it is difficult, you have made Robert's life better as he has made yours.

Good night, Nest. No ticket to boozeville for this gal. Maybe a long hike and some time with the family.

Happy SOBER weekend.

Pav

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Friday to all!

I'm up earlier than I need or want to be but that's OK. At least I see some sunshine for a change after this rain filled week

Pav, I hope you have a lovely AF weekend!

Mr V & idefineme, there's lots of helpful information on this site free for the taking, help yourselves.

Wishing everyone a safe & AF Friday!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Byrdie, great post as usual! And it couldn't have come at a better time, not just because of July 4th, but looking at my sobriety calendar we have 10 sobriety birthdays in July! This must be a hard month for drinkers, but these 10 show all of us that it can be done! So everyone, stay firm and let's double that number for next year!

Resolve on your 8 month milestone!
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hey Mr. V.
                glad to see you back!
                Last edited by Samstone; July 3, 2015, 07:27 PM. Reason: missing word
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Good morning, Nesters!
                  Happy Friday!
                  Pav, in years past, this would have been a perfect storm for me. A 3 day weekend and hubs is out of town! This really WOULD have been a ticket to BoozeVille! I would be planning a trip to the liquor store and stashing it in the usual places (closet, file drawers, purse). I would have taken this opportunity to get rid of my empties, too. I used to stash them in an ottoman in my office. I would have DIED if anyone found them. How do you explain THAT? I would have had to pace myself so I wouldn't pass out by the time my guests arrive later tonight. Every activity of this day would have been geared around my drinking. How sad. I didnt even realize the chains I was in, and fought against getting out of them! That is the power of addiction....knowing better but not being able to do better.

Instead, today I am happy and my burdens are a lot lighter!
                  Stick close this weekend and don't listen to the voices that tell you AL is a good idea! It's a trick! Stay strong, you will never regret one day you spent sober!

Resolve, check in with and let us know how you are getting on!!!

Im going to go brush up on my rendition of Kate Smith's 'God Bless America". Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good day, Nesters.
                    I've been up to my eyeballs with work, the kids and hot-weather-early days off school, a migraine, trying to make the gym a priority..
                    I'm reading back tonight, beginning from the last..

I did see that Mr. Vervill is back..very Good to see you! I hope to see you a lot more here in the Nest. I hear you about all the time wasted.. what is helping me now, is leaving the past in the past, forcing myself to, so that I can concentrate on NOW. I keep thinking that THIS is the most important time because it's the only time I have any control over. And if (when) I get it right, which I will (am) at least I've learned something from it all.. and am not wasting any more time.

Happy 19 months Pav and Ava.. big hugs to both of you wonderful ladies..

ok. now I want to read back..

Comment

Morning nesters

Cold and rainy in Aus but preferable for me to the heat being a redhead.

Welcome back MrV, those wasted years of drinking can be a vague memory if you put in the hard yards and stick close. I never ever thought i could be 19 months sober and i can honestly say that my drinking is now a vague memory and one i dont want to relive.

LC you are sounding great lady, keep up the good work. I am quite enjoying the gym now after 5 weeks but somedays its still an argument with myself to get there. Why i bother arguing with myself is beyond me as i know who will win!

A rough week with Robert, they are withdrawing all treatment now and the plan is to get him home to die. He wants to be with his fur babies so fingers crossed.

Off for another cuppa and to think about doing some housework.

Thinking of you Pav.

Have a great day/night.
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Nesters, good meeting this morning, I think things are going to go good. Have to go over some paperwork this weekend which is good, will keep me busy. No sign of the bear cub today, the sky is clearing so I think the smoke is leaving and maybe (Boo Boo) went back to the forest. AGM meeting tomorrow (kind of funny I am a director on the fire board) not that I am putting out any fires. After that will concentrate on the books I got from my new contract. Still don't understand why people wait months and then all of a sudden they need help to get caught up. Oh well, will keep me busy. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
                        KAREN

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                          I didnt even realize the chains I was in, and fought against getting out of them! That is the power of addiction....knowing better but not being able to do better.
                          Yes. How crazy is that?! We actually fight ourselves to hang on to something that is killing us physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. We fight to hold onto a big toxic fat lie. I hate it and I'm sick of allowing myself to fall for the con.

Giving up booze really is such a small sacrifice in the big picture. We don't need it. We don't have to have it. We can say NO to just existing, and turn it around instead to say YES to living. Buried Treasure awaits. And it lay inside each of us. We just have to say YES.

Wishing all a gr8 weekend. Happy 4th July to our U.S.A. friends.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Keep that train of thought going G & you will beat this
                            Adopt the zero tolerance policy, it works!

Byrdie, I know you have things under control - wouldn't expect anything less from you!

Ava, Robert has fought a long & hard battle. You have been right at his side the whole time which makes you a real angel. Hopefully he finds peace & comfort at home as he wishes. Thinking of both of you :hug:

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Todays project, graduation cookies!
                              Attached Files
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good Evening Nesters.... Ava I'm sorry about Robert - you've been through quite a journey with him and a blessing in his life, and I know he's been one in yours, too. I'll be thinking of you!

Hope everyone is hanging strong. If you're in the U.S. and this is your first 3-day party weekend without AL, good for you! You can do this, but make plans for your evenings and days all weekend and stay close to this site if you can.

Two years ago I never could have imagined a sober Friday night, much less a sober long weekend. Since my employer gave us today off, I would have been drinking up a storm by 5:00 last night, and like I think Pav said, waking up at 3:00 a.m. with my heart pounding, alternating between sweating and shivering, wondering if my heart would finally just stop this time. And kind of hoping for it. Then I would have woken up this morning, and maybe had a few nips right away to slow down the heart-rate. And then just sipping the rest of the day. Wash, rinse, repeat, until Monday morning.

Today I had breakfast with friends, hit the gym, had a lovely sauna, shopped at the co-op, and made a healthy dinner. My husband asked if he could clean out my car in order to haul some stuff this evening, and I had the fleeting "oh shit" thought about what he might find hidden in my car, as I used to store a lot of empties there. Except that I don't drink anymore and haven't for 15 months! Nothing for him to find! My brain's fear of discovery has been hard to reprogram now that I have nothing to hide anymore. But the happiness, relief, and a bit of pride that hits when I get to say things like, "Clean out my car? Go for it!" is pretty cool.
                                Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X