Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
    Thanks Lav, but I'm not ashamed to tell people that I'm an alcoholic, and I've done that numerous times in the past 6 months. But I was looking for something witty for my relatives, in a humorous way! And by the way, keep up all the great work you do here!
    Alright, Cowboy, I've been on the case for you. Here's your list of humorous responses for your relatives (best I could do on short notice). Nesters, let's add to this list!
    I Don't Drink Because......

I'm not old enough to drink yet.
    I left my designated driver in my other pants.
    I'm pacing myself, there a lot of family to get thru today.
    I'm still hung over from last year.
    I'm pregnant.
    I'm training for the Olympics.
    I've already had my share for today....and yesterday....
    It immediately makes me vomit (here's where theatrics come in, you must feign VOMITING while saying it).
    It aggravates a couple conditions I have going on...(my marriage and my liver).

I'll keep thinking!!

Rahul, I'm so happy for your great doctors report. You are so right about denial, it is our WORST enemy!!! Very proud of the man you are today, amazing that you are 5 years older but in BETTER SHAPE now than then!! Keep up the great work!!

Lav Blue, thank you for checking in, always good to see you!!

Addy, you are right, Friday is JUST another day, not a ticket to BoozeVille!!!
    Hang tough, all, I promise it's worth it!!!

Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Because there's not enough in the world let alone at this party- and I'm talking just for me.
      AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Thanks Byrdie! That's what I've been looking for!!

You too Jane, missed you on the xpost!
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I like "I'm still hungover from last year" the best haha! Good one Byrdie
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

ABC, with people I like & feel comfortable being honest with, I build humor in by talking about it in the same way a person would joke around about any embarrassing/ crazy caper they have been through.
            'yup, I sure was a rascal!'
            'Pretty sure I could drink 10 Irishmen under the table! Crazy ME!'
            My dental hygenist laughed and said . "omg I probably drink too much too' to which I said YUP! Always holding a wine glass on Facebook! But don't worry, if ever you want to quit I can totally walk you through it!"

Its such a common problem that for the most part, I DON'T feel ashamed of it. ESPECIALLY with people that drink a lot. Its the non alcoholics that I look at, and feel shame about how gross and low I got. And the non alcoholics almost never give a shit about drinking period.

PS Hubs and I both passed our stress tests! yayayayayayayayayayayayayayayayayayay!

Last edited by jane27; July 31, 2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Great post Jane !

By the way did u ever meet anyone who never touch drink ever ? I have not. I wonder sometimes ... Is it possible to find some one ?
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

I have because I remember thinking they were unusual ( boring and weird- but I'm not saying its because they never drank).

Comment

Morning nest

Great post Rahul, i never imagined i could have the life i have now without al and i was scared to lose my best friend and my crutch that i thought helped me get through so much in life and how boring it would be without al in the equation. How wrong was I. My life is way way much better without al. I also am the healthiest i have ever been, i love the gym, i love waking up (mostly) and to face life with a clear head is wonderful. never will i drink again.

Dutch i am so glad you are having a good holiday. I paid a fortune for internet to log on here and stay accountable and it worked for me as it is for you. There is always temptation for us alkies, it is how we deal with it that makes a difference.

I have had a busy week, Robert finally got his wish to go home and spend his last weeks with his dogs and family and lasted a day and became severely dehydrated and is now in hospital until the end. If he does not have IV fluids he will die a painful death and we dont want that. The other night when i went to hospital i thought this was it but of course not. He's got a few more things to do like our balloon ride which the lovely drs rang and organised for us, so Monday, with luck, we will be completing his wish together. I thought i would feel anxious but i am so excited, this is our last special thing that we are doing together. This is the happy memory i will always cherish,this is our last time being really together as friends and sharing a special moment that even his death cannot take from me.

Today will be spent taking my 13 year old dog to the vets, spending time with my daughter and taking my dogs to see robert. A good way to spend a weekend.

On a side note Robert does not drink and never really has, he told me he did not like the taste of it. I told him he was nuts! I loved it but now i understand, i cant stand the smell and i am sure for a short while if i did drink again i would hate the taste also.

Have a great day everyone xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Byrdie, I've seen you post that we won't have two bad days in a row. Well, you must be right, because I had to white knuckle it last night, and expected a real fight tonight with myself since it's Friday, but I'm home from work, happy as a clam and no voices in my head calling me to relax with a bottle of wine. Yay! I was ready with plans to go to a movie if I had to, but I'm much happier taking a long soak in the tub with a great book I'm reading. I'm excited to have the whole weekend ahead of me, and don't think it will be too much of a struggle. Hope everyone else is in a great frame of mind, too.
                    You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Jane I promise you this is one Irishman you couldn't drink under the table and while that might have been a boast on another day it's a source of embarrassment now.

Available I am amazed at your ability to cope with Robert's illness. Continue to stay strong. I know you'd regret drinking now. Kailey, so glad you are having a great night. Stay positive and keep doing what you are doing.

Rahul. I've met plenty of folks who have never had a drink...my grandmother for one. She was a first generation Irish women who saw first hand what alcohol can do to a family. A number of her brothers were alcoholics and her own father had to bring his new bride back home, Leaving a good job behind, to work in the coal mines of western Pa to support his brothers family ravaged by alcohol abuse. You'd figure I'd of learned something from her makes you wonder if I had eyes and ears.
                      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I love seeing a lot of happy folks checking in with good news

TJ, my grandmother never touched a drop in her life either, I totally get that. My former neighbors & good friends never touch the stuff either. I've loved these people all the same.

Ava, it's a shame Robert can't get his IV fluids at home - don't know if that sort of thing is possible over there. I hope he is comfortable now & feeling peaceful. I hope you are as well :hug:

Wishing everyone a safe & pleasant night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Ava, thinking of you....
                          Sam
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Ava I am glad you are looking forward to one last hurrah with Robert. It amazes me how you have been able to remain a strong friend for him all this time. I am sure he appreciates that.

I would always brag about my drinking as well, never thought I would think about it with regret like I do now.

Well checking in on my last day here. Overall the big feeling is a bit of sadness. Maybe someone can relate to me here. I don't enjoy all these activities we are doing, I enjoyed surfing, but the snorkeling, Pearl Harbor, the Polynesian culture center, hiking up diamond head, I could have sworn I enjoyed them when I did them. But thinking back now I just feel sad, like I wished I would have spent my time doin something else. This is an important issue to me, as I know I have drank in the past to numb out this feeling of opportunity cost, like I wasted my week of vacation. I feel childish writing this, like I just have a bad mental perspective or something, am I just not showing gratitude for the thugs in my life? I wish I could just leave feeing satisfied and happy with all the new memories I have made, but instead I feel disappointment and dread at heading back to the grind. I won't drink these feelings away, but am definitely not enjoying this last night here feeing this way. Perhaps I am just focusing too much on the future and the past and not enjoying this moment.

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters!

Dutch, I can understand what you're saying. Sometimes I also feel let down after a trip. But from here, I see this vacation for you as one BIG success. You had a huge challenge of dealing with all of the difficulties of family, in very close proximity, without your usual crutch. And you DID it! This is a huge accomplishment and not drinking had to be in the forefront of your mind for most, if not all of the time... which, I can imagine, made it hard for you to concentrate fully on what you'd be happiest doing.. and then trying to interweave that into what everyone else wanted to do.. I hope you'll try to focus on all the "positives" of this trip. :happy2:

Ava, I'm thinking of you a lot. I wish you a wonderful balloon ride with Robert. Continue to take care, dear lady..:hug:

Kailey, I'm glad the annoying AV left you alone for awhile... nothing better than having the whole weekend spread open in front of us, is there?

I was up at 5 this morning and decided it would be the perfect time for me to begin meditating again. I've been procrastinating (for a very long time!) because it's such hard work for me to stay focussed, constantly bring my mind back to the moment.. but it's soooo awesome when I finally get down to doing it. I'm going to try to get back into a daily practice...
                              I was thinking yesterday that it's hard for me to find activities I'm passionate about. I have things I like to do, but a real passion? Where I can focus all my energy and the hours pass like minutes and I can improve and get better at something? That's what I'm searching for..

Time to call my dad for our weekly chat.. Big hugs to all you lovely Nesters!!

Comment

So I called my dad and he's too drunk to talk to me. It's often the case as 7am my time is 10pm his time. He's somehow functional, in retirement, (trying) not to drink before 5, can stop for 2 weeks for a diet or lent, is always happy.. but it still makes me sad. Now he's calling back but I'm not answering the phone and he won't remember tomorrow. The solution is having our conversation during his morning/my evening, which we will do tomorrow. He's coming to visit in October with his wife for 2 weeks and last time it was a disaster, as I was also drinking a lot and fighting with my partner, and my dad was being greedy with money (now being on a fixed income.. give me a f****** break!).. this time I won't be drinking and will make it clear from the get-go. He's at the point where he doesn't mind being the only one drinking.. better 'cause doesn't have to share! I love my dad so much and we are actually very close, in the sense that we can talk about almost everything, enjoy spending time together.. it's hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X