No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Day one for me....I hope. Scared, depressed and lonely. Probably going to lose my job. Definitely don't like myself and keeping so many secrets I don't even know what is true anymore. I want some of what you have. Sobriety and maybe the cobwebs clearing a bit. I will get the book. Does it come on audio?

Comment

Hi again, Datima. It's a fact you are where you are because of alcohol, but it's also a fact almost everyone here has been in a similar situation and have found sobriety and a new life. The MWO book and dvd's have some good strategies, but IMHO, you can get all of the ideas here, in the toolbox, or just reading the posts. Drink loads of water today, and just read here.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi Datima! Welcome! Sorry you are feeling so down. Getting alcohol out of your life for 30 days is a good start - and will do wonders for those cobwebs! You will never regret not drinking - and the tools for how to do that are here. Read and post. (((hugs)))

It is clicking for me that my world doesn't have to be falling apart for me to stop drinking. First, because if I were to continue, it would likely go there eventually. And second, why not move toward function, health, vibrancy, clarity, connection? I loved this paragraph from the site GMAN posted the other day, HIP SOBRIETY :

"3. Sober is the new black. More and more of us are waking up to the reality that drinking is not sexy or sophisticated or adult. It is the exact opposite of those things. Drinking makes us ugly, kills our self-confidence, sucks our time/money/energy, ruins our health, works against every single goal we have for ourselves, and keeps us stuck and stunted."

Here's to working toward the good stuff in life...
        Last edited by KENSHO; November 30, 2015, 11:26 AM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Welcome Datima, day 1 is definitely a pain. I highly recommend you get a plan together and use the toolbox as a source of info for that. We all have habits/behaviors we had to substitute alcohol with, so look for the things that click for you.

Another stressful week ahead of me. My brother is out again and I have 40+ lessons to reschedule for the last two weeks of the month because we do a two week holiday break. I don't know if I can schedule lessons during times hes supposed to be there because he might be out. I don't think I can keep doing that. I like spending the extra time with my wife and family and I always post it well in advance, but it just isn't working out time wise and I always have students complaining about it. Or maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

Not really thinking about drinking as much as feeling stressed and not wanting to have to cover again for the family on my day off. Stress from work was always my biggest drinking trigger so naturally I came here to check in and make sure everyone knows I am at 265, in the 100 day stretch for a year. Sounds like a lot but after 265 days AF 100 does not sound so bad. Even if 5 students quit today, even if I make less money, or get into a fight with my business part or my wife, or my kid doesn't nap, or I didn't get to workout like I wanted, these are not good enough reasons to drink. Just another day in the life, some days are up, some down.

Comment

Originally posted by LilBit View Post
            Throwing a hand up for Mr. G, our century man. 100 reasons to smile, 100 rawkin guitar pieces, 100 words of love & wisdom and 100% better section of novel pulled from the trash than I could have written! Mr G, you emit a warm, lovely glow in our humble nest and I'm so glad that you're here with us. I always smile when I see your name on the left side. Mwah! :triumphant::triumphant::triumphant:
            Ah thanks Lilbit. Too kind! Love your work too my friend.

QW is also a century man. Well done Q dub. Thanks everyone.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Quit Wining has lived up to his name! Another 100 Day'er among us!! An amazing feat! I know you must be feeling good! Congratulations and keep up the great work!!
              :llama:
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Congratulations Quit Wining!!!!! Awesome accomplishment!!
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Gosh, we have two 100 day kids today??
                  CONGRATS TO G & QUIT WINING :yay:

Byrdie is absolutely right about staying connected here. Even if you just jump on long enough to do a little reading & say hello - just do it!!!

Hello & welcome Datima, glad you found us
                  Get into the Tool box & start gathering what you need to put together a good working plan for yourself - it's essential for your success.
                  Stick around the nest & let us know how you are doing!

Dutch, stay focused on today, you're going to get through all this.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Congratulations and welcome to the 100-day club Quit Wining and Gman! It is a delicious accomplishment worthy of massive kudos and some of Byrdies fabulous-looking cookies too.

Welcome Datima - we're so glad you are here. Everything gets better with sobriety. Like others have said - don't take on too much, just don't drink. I would ride the cravings through mostly by coming here and reading and posting. Chocolate, licorice, tea with honey helped too. I did jigsaw puzzles, tried my hand at knitting, and walked, a lot. I also read (and still do) fiction and non fiction books about alcohol/alcoholics/addiction, You Tube videos, and Bubble Hour podcasts. Hang around here as much as possible - there's so much to learn from other newcomers and old timers too!

All is good here - the holiday was a bit stressful surrounded by seven in laws but so much more manageable without pesky al thoughts. Even easier this year - my second sober Thanksgiving - than last. Hubs and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary Wednesday. 22 months ago I took that first fearful step to sobriety by coming here largely because he had walked out fed up with my drinking and all the resulting shit that comes along with that. I am so grateful to and thankful for all of you - I could not have done this without you.

Have a great day/eve my friends. ML
                    Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Hi, All:

Big congratulations to our Century Nesters! Way to go, and keep it up.

Dutch - so true, what you write. 265 is a great milestone, and close to 9 months. Whoot.

Cold here - well for my part of the nest anyway. I guess you midwesterners would think I'm a wimp.

Good night, folks.

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by ssd858 View Post
                        Tuesday December 1
                        SSD - Day 1 again
                        I saw this in Rollcall, SSD. Anything we can do to help? :hug: NS

Comment

Good Tuesday morning Nesters,

Dark & damp in my portion of the nest, chilly too. Can't believe it's December 1st!!

Marylou, nice to see you & happy to hear you are doing so well. You'll be throwing a 2 year anniversary party in no time, awesome! Sober is the way to go!!

Hi there Pav, NS & everyone else dropping in today.
                          SSD, please check in & let us know how you are doing.

Peace to all today!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I didn't make it through the vacation and I am just so disappointed in myself.
                            After a full day and 1/2 of travel including 5 hours in an airport my bag didn't make it
                            and we had 7 hours til we could check into our hotel. We ended up in a bar and after
                            watching my husband have a drink I ordered one as well. It didn't even taste good.
                            I did not imagine feeling so down on myself. My husband doesn't get it. He planned
                            to drink on the vaca and then maybe take another week off of drinking but his final
                            plan is to moderate. I just feel that I tried to moderate and it wasn't working.

And after having 3 weeks sober I was feeling so good.

He was so happy when I had a drink since that meant that the vacation would be more fun.

On the 3 flights home I read Mrs. D is Going Without and Seven Weeks to Sobriety. I focused entirely on trying to get back on track. But, with lack of sleep, a very long day with additional stress and I purchased a bottle of wine on the way home. I had no free time yesterday to read on the forum or other materials. Reading helps so much to keep my thoughts balanced.

Up at 3 this morning! Yikes! I poured out the remainder this morning and need to make December my 31 days. And if all goes well I plan to reach 90.

How do you deal with maintaining your quit with a spouse that drinks?
                            Last edited by ssd858; December 1, 2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Hearty congrats to QW for the big three digits! Welcome Datima. You're in a great place.

'One of those "up at 430," tons on my plate, hippity skippity, busier-than-a-one-armed-wallpaper-hanger type days but checking in, posting and sending love to all the Nest peeps.

Stay frosty!
                              "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Day two....yesterday was easy and I actually got a lot accomplished. Watched some motivational speeches on quitting drinking as well. Today is work after having called out yesterday so this will be a bigger test. I am grateful to have a close group of five friends that either don't drink or drink very very little. I told them yesterday that I had a problem and they all reached out to me with love and faith. With them and hopefully this board, I have support. Have a great day everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X