Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening all,

AG - I cooked braised marinated deer meat, sautéed deer meet in sesame oil with fresh minced garlic and onion with rice and soy sauce, hobo packs for supper and p-nut butter and ritz crackers dipped in candy melts and I am tired and stuffed. Sundays are also a harder day for me, especially with everyone gone or asleep. So, my distraction is to cook. Then by the time I am through, I am too tired to go get a drink.

About to pile up on the couch and watch cooking shows for more ideas, then off to bed.

May it be a blessed AF night for all,
    JDG
    Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Hi - I wanted to drop in and say thank you to everyone for the advice. Yesterday, son & I were talking about the wedding reception. They have picked the restaurant and they were talking about buying a case of wine and just paying the corkage fee. He was talking about the fact that some people wouldn’t be drinking and I told him that I wouldn’t be. Then I said that I didn’t imagine that his Dad would be drinking either. And, then I told him that I wouldn’t be toasting him with the champagne for the toast but I’d toast him with water. Then I told him that it was almost 6 months and wasn’t he happy for me. So, I’m relieved that I brought it up. It’s no big deal.
      Last edited by NoraC; January 17, 2016, 07:49 PM.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Pav - I'm so sorry. :hug:
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi Nesters,

Oh Pav, I'm sorry for your loss. It's devastating and a tough time. One of the family is gone. What a time you had together eh? Take care.

Jvo. 90 days?! Raaaaawk star! :thumbsup:

Welcome back Moni.

Lilbit, another total Raaawk star! All the best with that appointment my friend.

149 here but who's counting. Have a safe, sober and magical week y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Whatever distraction it takes JD, and yours sounds like a yummy one.

Hang in the Action, the craving always passes, just as time does. Hang tight.

Took Mom to the movies to see Mockingjay Part 2. Great series.

Enjoy your sleepover Lav.

Night.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi All.
              I am back after a slip, relapse, screw up, whatever you want to call it.
              It is hard for me to come on here after failing. I see so many of you with so much AF time I feel
              somehow I have let you all down.
              So on a positive note I have been AF 28 out of the last 32 days. I have come a long way from pounding a fifth of hard booze every day.
              I am trying to cut myself some slack and look at the good that I have done not only the bad.
              I am af today and plan on going to bed that way. I did not go out and get falling down drunk but I did drink. I learned
              of some triggers I was not aware of and I was able to wake up this morning after drinking last night and say I am not going to drink today.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I am glad to be back here. See you at roll call tomorrow.

rednose.
              Last edited by rednose; January 17, 2016, 08:46 PM.
              All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Originally posted by rednose View Post
                Hi All.

I learned
                of some triggers I was not aware of and I was able to wake up this morning after drinking last night and say I am not going to drink today.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I am glad to be back here. See you at roll call tomorrow.

rednose.
                Yes, cut yourself some slack Red. This AF lark can take awhile and can get damn frustrating. Gr8 you r back and looking at your triggers. Very important info to have. See you at roll call. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Rednise, I can't even count how many times I came back....with all that AF time that you got you have an advantage....you will physically feel better soon. Glad you're back and ready to kick ass!
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                    Hi, Nest:

Lil - a perfect post for me to wake up to. It is all true. I did so much hungover, and look at how much more I can do when I'm not??!!

Hi, Moni. Look forward, not back. You're here now and we're here for you.

Our doggie died this weekend. A very sad time, yet not once did I think of alcohol to ease the pain. Because I wasn't drinking I was able to visit him twice in the middle of the night, and be present when hard decisions needed to be made. This sadness is a part of the human experience, and I am grateful that he was in our lives. I am also grateful that alcohol is out of mine.

More later,
                    Pav
                    So very sorry about your dog. They are our little treasures. Always here for us. We have lost many over the yeas. All different personalities and so so special each one in their own way. They bring so much comfort and joy. Now that he/she has passed over the rainbow they can all run together waiting for us to join them some day. Take one day at a time. And plz get another when your ready!
                    Hugs,
                    SHADES
                    "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

Just a quick stop over to say hello. Haven't read today but wanted to check in. Have a great night!
                      The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Shades, nice to see you pop in & hope you are well.

Rednose, I believe we are all capable of kicking AL out of our lives when we are finally ready & able to adopt a zero tolerance policy. I know I had to make a choice, remain in the frustrating hellish cycle of trying to control AL or do something entirely new & different. Glad I made the choice I did, you can do it too!

Sounds like there was a lot of good cooking, kid & grandkid fun this weekend for just about everyone. Life is good!
                        Thinking of you Pav.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                          Hi, Nest:

Lil - a perfect post for me to wake up to. It is all true. I did so much hungover, and look at how much more I can do when I'm not??!!

Hi, Moni. Look forward, not back. You're here now and we're here for you.

Our doggie died this weekend. A very sad time, yet not once did I think of alcohol to ease the pain. Because I wasn't drinking I was able to visit him twice in the middle of the night, and be present when hard decisions needed to be made. This sadness is a part of the human experience, and I am grateful that he was in our lives. I am also grateful that alcohol is out of mine.

More later,
                          Pav
                          Sorry about your dog Pav, we have an aging Boston terrier that I'm afraid is nearing his final days, - I will have to put my 3 little boys on suicide watch the day it happens.

Again so sorry about this, but I have zero doubt in your ability to Stay Hard like the Rock you are :happy2:
                          AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Red, I'm so glad you are here. Speaking for myself, as embarrassing as it is to come back after a drinking spell, I know this is where I need to be. Let's keep moving forward!!

J-vo, thanks for the encouragement. I've had a few days without cravings and I think I got used to that. All is well, I walked the dog, listened to music that I don't normally listen to, and made cookies for the boys after dinner (I have a hard time getting the dough in the oven as they try to eat all of it but that is another story).

Tomorrow my plan is to get some solid exercise in . . . I've been slacking on that front and maybe that is a piece that is missing.

Have a great start to your week - AG

Comment

Good Monday, Nesters!!

Red, so glad to see you back here with us.. and quickly. We all figure it out in our own time.. It took me quite a while, too, to change my mindset. I really believe what Lav said, that we have to take drinking completely off the table as any sort of solution to problems, accompaniment to celebration, relief from pain, escape, whatever we use it for. AND just as important for me has been to see sobriety as a huge opportunity.. for a new life. I like this visual that Autumn posted on another thread a couple days ago...
                              "I now see drinking as a crossroads, and I have two pathways. One pathway......is the Alcohol I LEFT behind as I remain sober & avoid Al at all costs. Or if I choose the other path & have that glass of wine, I will be immediately RIGHT back in the drunken chaos that was my hateful life. So I have a choice & I choose not to drink today. And life today is pretty damn good sober!

Every time I craved wine or any Al, whatever the occasion, (happy, stressed, celebration etc) I visualised myself at the crossroads, and told myself (verbally out loud) where each path would take me and what the outcome would be.
                              Turn Left - Happy, hangover free and sober in the morning with my marriage & business intact
                              Turn Right - booze and drunken chaos, divorced with no business and possibly homeless & broke!

I would literally say this out loud and then ask myself "so Rach, which outcome is it to be today?" "

Pav, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved dog.. so sad to lose our little furry best friends.. thinking of you during this difficult time.:hug:

Actiongirl, listening to different music has been a lifesaver for me, too! Listened to some country yesterday (was posted on another thread) and I'm listening to anything that feels inspiring or uplifting.. I've been loving eddie for awhile now..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTE4lzeBUNI who do you like to listen to now? What kind of cookies did you bake? I've got some pumpkin muffins planned for today!

J-vo, how nice to go to the movies with your mom.. I haven't heard of that film.. will have to look it up.
                              The girls and I watched 3 movies this weekend! It was fun and relaxing and I ate a lot.. have rediscovered buttered popcorn!
                              I am SO happy that I came here to talk about the stress I was feeling.. I felt the support of you all.. and I just got through it. I kept in mind that I shouldn't "act", verbally or physically, while in such a state (thanks 3 P's) and I did know that it would pass. It helped to be firm (once I accepted that it was ok to do so) with my need for some time alone.. and the kids got it. And I would say, even supported me.

Anyway, Wishing you all a wonderful Un-hung Monday!
                              Last edited by lifechange; January 18, 2016, 02:20 AM.

Comment

I'm checking in early today as I need to sit down and do some study for the remainder of the day. I can't believe how much I've already done. I had an interview in the city first thing this morning, then treated myself to a fancy breakfast (won't be making that a regular thing as it was pretty expensive!), then visited a museum for a while before coming home. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the energy I suddenly have and as I'm a naturally 'hyper' person, I need to find constructive ways to use it up!

Hope everybody is having a good day. They call today 'blue Monday' but I'm not buying into any of that nonsense.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X